Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Is this another of the "Non-Americans and Minsky are more sophisticated than Non-Minsky Americans" threads?  :D

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 11, 2011, 04:55:50 AM
Champenois winemakers are very assertive about their Champagne.They conceded the use of  "Crémant" to other regions though. If only to be used for wines of France and Luxembourg though originally from Champagne obviously.

How magnanimous of them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on October 10, 2011, 11:17:20 PM
I've never tried your yankee "champagnes", but I can tell you californian "Cabernet" doesn't taste like Cabernet. At all.

I've had swill that said Sangiovese on the label, and lo and behold, it was from Napa Valley.

Honestly, it's a disgrace to even call most of those new world cepages wine at all.  :sleep:

Sugary grape juice with a tad of alcohol content, now that would be more accurate.
Doesn't all reasonably priced wine taste like that?  Maybe those fancy $10 a bottle wines taste different, but that's win snob territory.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2011, 05:29:17 AM
Is this another of the "Non-Americans and Minsky are more sophisticated than Non-Minsky Americans" threads?  :D

If you define sophistication as a bias toward French wines, than sure.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Everyone knows Hungarian wines are the best.

END OF STORY. THREAD CLOSED.

frunk

I can see this argument for some other commodities, maybe, but wines are almost always so clearly indicated as to origin that it seems fairly silly.  In the wine shops I go to they categorize by different countries, and the labels themselves usually tell you where they are from within that country.  Trying to preserve particular names for a product from a particular region when another region produces the same thing but at a different quality is unnecessarily confusing.  I'm sure that the first location that produced wine would love to stop all other producers of fermented grape from calling their stuff wine for not being "authentic".

garbon

Quote from: frunk on October 11, 2011, 08:40:55 AM
I'm sure that the first location that produced wine would love to stop all other producers of fermented grape from calling their stuff wine for not being "authentic".

Maybe, although there's also the fact that the definition of what constitutes the wine (and the process) of a region has changed over time. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Is there anything more 'let them eat cake' than a thread about poverty protesting becomming a thread about wine snobbery?

'Let them appreciate fine authentic vintages'.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 08:58:48 AM
Is there anything more 'let them eat cake' than a thread about poverty protesting becomming a thread about wine snobbery?

'Let them appreciate fine authentic vintages'.  :P

:lol: good point

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2011, 05:29:17 AM

My cat is more sophisticated then you.  Also smarter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

I can see this argument for some other commodities, maybe, but wines are almost always so clearly indicated as to origin that it seems fairly silly.  In the wine shops I go to they categorize by different countries, and the labels themselves usually tell you where they are from within that country.  Trying to preserve particular names for a product from a particular region when another region produces the same thing but at a different quality is unnecessarily confusing. 

There are two propositions here and they are contradictory to one another.  Proposition 1 is that there is no problem for the consumer because wine labels clearly indicate origin; proposition 2 is that protecting names of origin - which is the very thing on the label that tells you provenance - is unecessary.  Of course, without protecting the origin names, the usefulness of labels indicating origin is seriously undermined.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zoupa

Quote from: Gups on October 11, 2011, 03:53:26 AM
Hey Zoups.

Sorry, in a bad mood this morning. I was out of order.

Ca ira, mon ami.  :hug:

Zoupa

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2011, 08:08:36 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 10, 2011, 11:17:20 PM
I've never tried your yankee "champagnes", but I can tell you californian "Cabernet" doesn't taste like Cabernet. At all.

I've had swill that said Sangiovese on the label, and lo and behold, it was from Napa Valley.

Honestly, it's a disgrace to even call most of those new world cepages wine at all.  :sleep:

Sugary grape juice with a tad of alcohol content, now that would be more accurate.
Doesn't all reasonably priced wine taste like that?  Maybe those fancy $10 a bottle wines taste different, but that's win snob territory.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2011, 09:10:49 AM
I can see this argument for some other commodities, maybe, but wines are almost always so clearly indicated as to origin that it seems fairly silly.  In the wine shops I go to they categorize by different countries, and the labels themselves usually tell you where they are from within that country.  Trying to preserve particular names for a product from a particular region when another region produces the same thing but at a different quality is unnecessarily confusing. 

There are two propositions here and they are contradictory to one another.  Proposition 1 is that there is no problem for the consumer because wine labels clearly indicate origin; proposition 2 is that protecting names of origin - which is the very thing on the label that tells you provenance - is unecessary.  Of course, without protecting the origin names, the usefulness of labels indicating origin is seriously undermined.

The flaw is of course that there is no particular reason why geographical origin has to be indicated by the very name of the product.

A tee shirt made in China can still be called a tee shirt. It doesn't have to be called a "torso covering short-sleeved wearing apparel", just to let folks know it was made in China. That's what the little "Made in China" taggie is for.

To my mind, something like "Champagne" is a name that has, like Xerox, outgrown its intellectual-property-protected origin, to indicate the very name of a thing. It would protect consumers more to have, printed on the label, "From grapes grown in the Champagne region of France" or "from grapes grown in the Napa Valley, California" rather than calling the first product "Champagne" and the second product "Sparkling Wine". 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on October 11, 2011, 09:29:46 AM

:huh:  Actually, I would say that even more expensive wines rarely taste great, and are very inconsistent.  I have a bottle in my fridge right now, and I swear that it tasted very differently a month ago than it does now.