Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on October 10, 2011, 03:30:47 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2011, 03:19:22 PM
The hummus I eat is made in the U.S. and it's fine.  Probably better.

Probably not better, no.

Probably fewer bugs in it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2011, 08:15:41 PM
I dont understand the Garbon argument of wanting names to be meaningless.  Why make the consumer have to search a label to determine if they are drinking real champagne or some Californian sparkling wine pretending to be Champagne?

Who are these people frantically searching about to see if what they are drinking is "real"? They sound likes jack asses.

I've never been in a restaurant and said I'd like a glass of x champagne and had the waiter say back "Oh, sir, that's a California sparkling wine. Are you sure that's okay?"  Perhaps that's an earth shattering faux pas on my part but I'd wager its irrelevant in everyday speech.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Maybe because you lived in the land trying to do the faking.  Here sparkling wines from California are called sparkling wine - not Champagne.  Champagne is something different.  It would be like calling Prosecco Champagne - they are different things although to the uneducated they might appear at first glance to all simply be "sparkling wine".

garbon

I wouldn't be mortified if someone called Prosecco champagne. After all, according to wikipedia, it has been growing in popularity as a cheap substitute for champagne. :lol:

That said I think it does work better for mimosas.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zoupa

I've never tried your yankee "champagnes", but I can tell you californian "Cabernet" doesn't taste like Cabernet. At all.

I've had swill that said Sangiovese on the label, and lo and behold, it was from Napa Valley.

Honestly, it's a disgrace to even call most of those new world cepages wine at all.  :sleep:

Sugary grape juice with a tad of alcohol content, now that would be more accurate.

garbon

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on October 10, 2011, 01:47:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2011, 12:30:52 PM
It's just the old protect inefficient industries thing so beloved of underperforming countries like France.

The world would be a poorer, blander place without our food and techniques. I don't expect scandis to get it though. LOL WANT SUM POTATOES WITH HERRING???

:bleeding:

I don't follow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2011, 08:15:41 PM
Quote from: dps on October 10, 2011, 03:48:32 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2011, 12:13:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2011, 11:58:21 AM
Don't most edible products tell where they are made? 

Country of origin only, and then only on the back label

Wines are an exception, though.  Even without EU-style naming regulations, they usually tell you more than just country of origin.

And I'd hope that if something is labelled as a California champaign, people can figure out that it's not from Champagne.

I dont understand the Garbon argument of wanting names to be meaningless.  Why make the consumer have to search a label to determine if they are drinking real champagne or some Californian sparkling wine pretending to be Champagne?

:secret: If you don't know the Champagne region brands you're not the type to give a fuck.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Quote from: Zoupa on October 10, 2011, 01:42:50 PM
Quote from: Gups on October 10, 2011, 09:02:24 AM
Well, it probably does matter for certain types of wine. It sure as fuck doesn't matter which hills sheep eat their grass on.

Sure it does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulet_de_Bresse

and I quote:

QuoteFamous non-French fans include molecular gastronomist Heston Blumenthal, who pronounced the Bresse chicken a clear winner in terms of taste and texture during controlled research for his BBC series In Search Of Perfection.

Assume you are being deliberately dishonest rather than just stupid.

Obviously different breeds of chicken taste different to each other. What does that have to do with the impact of where sheep eat grass on the taste of cheese made from their milk.

Zoupa

Hey gups, fuck you too!

Now you're the one being dishonest. Notwithstanding the fact that what the animal eats goes in the milk (physiology and all that), most AOC products have to be prepared in a certain unique location (those caves for the Roquefort for example).

In any case, what's the big fucking deal here. Call your cheap knock offs something else, that's all. Boycott all AOC products. I don't give a shit. Nobody's forcing you guys to buy our stuff.

Gups

Hey Zoups.

Sorry, in a bad mood this morning. I was out of order.

Richard Hakluyt

One thing that surprised me was milk. We usually buy milk that is produced in the nearby Forest of Bowland. Every now and then we run out and I pick up some generic milk from a nearby discount store. The difference is not noticeable in tea, but the Bowland milk has a far more complex taste than the stuff from Lidl, which is great when having breakfast cereal. One possibility is that the discount stuff, because it has to travel so much further, is more rigorously pasteurised; but, whatever, I now take some pains to try and not run out of the Bowland stuff.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on October 10, 2011, 11:17:20 PM
I've never tried your yankee "champagnes", but I can tell you californian "Cabernet" doesn't taste like Cabernet. At all.

I've had swill that said Sangiovese on the label, and lo and behold, it was from Napa Valley.

Honestly, it's a disgrace to even call most of those new world cepages wine at all.  :sleep:

Sugary grape juice with a tad of alcohol content, now that would be more accurate.

:thumbsup:  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Champenois winemakers are very assertive about their Champagne.They conceded the use of  "Crémant" to other regions though. If only to be used for wines of France and Luxembourg though originally from Champagne obviously.

As for that being a French thing only, one needs only to remind that Tokay d'Alsace is no more, it's Pinot Gris.