Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on October 10, 2011, 02:38:47 AM
About the EU naming laws or whatever they're called: it's not only about a certain list of ingredients and a specific method of preparation, it's also about a certain location where the food is grown.

Champagne grapes come from Champagne. You can grow Champagne grapes in a lot of places, but they won't have had their roots in the soil of Champagne. I can start producing something resembling Roquefort in my basement from canadian sheep, but they won't have grazed the hills of Aveyron.

It's the soil that matters.

I don't follow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2011, 08:32:21 AM
About the EU naming laws or whatever they're called: it's not only about a certain list of ingredients and a specific method of preparation, it's also about a certain location where the food is grown.

Champagne grapes come from Champagne. You can grow Champagne grapes in a lot of places, but they won't have had their roots in the soil of Champagne. I can start producing something resembling Roquefort in my basement from canadian sheep, but they won't have grazed the hills of Aveyron.

I don't follow.

"Terroir"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terroir
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 10, 2011, 08:37:49 AM

I don't follow.

"Terroir"

:rolleyes: Thanks, Mr. Helpful.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2011, 08:39:22 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 10, 2011, 08:37:49 AM

I don't follow.

"Terroir"

:rolleyes: Thanks, Mr. Helpful.

My head hurts.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Gups

Well, it probably does matter for certain types of wine. It sure as fuck doesn't matter which hills sheep eat their grass on.

chipwich

Haha you dumb sucker.

chipwich

Zoupa&Shelf: do you believe that Kobe beef tastes different because of how their fur was brushed and because the bulls got blowjobs from Japanese schoolgirls or whatever?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on October 10, 2011, 08:41:59 AM

:yeahright:

Small exception for Tokay, some part of it can come from Slovakia for historical reasons :D

garbon

Quote from: Gups on October 10, 2011, 09:02:24 AM
Well, it probably does matter for certain types of wine. It sure as fuck doesn't matter which hills sheep eat their grass on.

I think of all of them, I can see wine the best given how temperamental various grape varieties are.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

It's not like you have a choice when you're eating Kobe beef.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2011, 06:26:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2011, 06:03:17 PM
They sound like protectionism to me, but I don't really care that much.

They help the dissemination of information.  Not that much different from trademark infringement laws.

The rationale - prevention of customer confusion -  is the same.
If I am looking for a Cognac because I have distinct ideas about the kind of spirit I want to drink, I shouldn't have to do an investigation to find out that the "cognac" I am drinking is really falsely branded Canadian Whiskey.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Russian liquors sold in US are amusing in that way.  In English, it says "Armenian Brandy" or "Sparkling Wine".  In Russian, it says "Armenian Cognac" or "Champagne". 

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2011, 11:48:07 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2011, 06:26:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2011, 06:03:17 PM
They sound like protectionism to me, but I don't really care that much.

They help the dissemination of information.  Not that much different from trademark infringement laws.

The rationale - prevention of customer confusion -  is the same.
If I am looking for a Cognac because I have distinct ideas about the kind of spirit I want to drink, I shouldn't have to do an investigation to find out that the "cognac" I am drinking is really falsely branded Canadian Whiskey.

Don't most edible products tell where they are made?

Besides if the consumer ends up unable to tell the difference between the two, where's the harm, where's the foul?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.