Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on October 11, 2011, 03:28:08 PM
you can have champagne, but stay away from port :ultra:
:yes: Staying away from port is always a good idea.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2011, 03:35:12 PM
you can have champagne, but stay away from port :ultra:
:yes: Staying away from port is always a good idea.

Always turn to starboard!  :pirate:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

garbon

Also, the best part about fighting over champagne is that until better glass was discover "sparkling wine" was a huge fault that everyone was trying to avoid.

Well that's what I'm saying. They are trying to protect the historical definition of a particular moment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

crazy canuck

I wonder how port tastes after being watered down with icecubes?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 02:45:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 02:32:29 PM
Its also an advantage to consumers who might otherwise be fooled into thinking that what they are buying is Champagne when it isnt.

Who are these consumers that are so tricked? The most common person (at least here in America) is already going to use champagne interchangeably with sparking wine (I don't really think they will actually use sparking wine as a term...but that's neither here nor there)...and they are likely to know that French champagnes are held of special regard.  Not really sure where'd they get lost as they don't really care that much about the difference - and may as some people I know - have less of an affinity for "real" Champagne.

Then you also have the connoisseurs and I'd be hard pressed to believe that said individuals would get tricked by Korbel if it started selling its product under the name champagne.

I've used the term sparkling wine to avoid this kind of conversation, which while fine enough for Languish, is entirely tedious in person.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Can we go back to talking about the revolution? :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on October 11, 2011, 05:03:03 PM

Won't be televised, ergo this isn't the revolution.   
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on October 11, 2011, 05:03:03 PM

I have noticed it's been a while since Seedy posted.  :hmm:

MadImmortalMan

EUOT occupy thread degenerates into flamewar about the best way to re-distribute rich peoples' money. Languish occupy thread degenerates into flamewar about commercial use of the word "champagne" and the relative merits of high-quality sparkling wines.

:D
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Those of us who still can should go to EUOT and set them straight on what is important in life.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 05:14:48 PM
Those of us who still can should go to EUOT and set them straight on what is important in life.
Ugh. :x  I'd rather not.

Josephus

And that, in a nutshell, is the difference between Languish and Paradox.

Of course if we did start talking about wine in a thread about Wall Street, we would be warned for going off topic and subsequently banned.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2011, 05:18:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 05:14:48 PM
Ugh. :x  I'd rather not.

Actually you are correct, I quickly scanned that last page of posts and promptly left ie -   MiM did not exaggerate.