Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2011, 02:32:54 PM
In Russia, bologna or what passes for bologna is called "Doctor's sausage". :contract:

I thought that was a form of "medical treatment" Doctors in Russia try to pass off for real medical treatment.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2011, 02:32:54 PM
In Russia, bologna or what passes for bologna is called "Doctor's sausage". :contract:
anyone else think Soylent green? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2011, 02:26:58 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 02:20:49 PM
That's how "genericization" works - originally the term (say "kleenex") was unique; then it comes in to general usage to designate a type of product rather than a specific product.

Sure when it comes to general usage but last I checked facial tissue from companies other than Kleenex cannot sell their product labeled 'Kleenex' since it is a trademark violation.  I mean does it really matter if the label on the bottle says 'sparking wine' instead of champagne?  We all know what it is.

Depends on your jurisdiction. Kleenex has almost lost the battle for genericization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks#List_of_former_trademarks_that_have_become_generic_terms

Once a term has become in common use, it loses its protected status - for example, "Yo-yo" toys (Still a Papa's Toy Co. Ltd. trademark name for a spinning toy in Canada, but declared generic in the U.S. in 1965), or  "Linoleum" Floor covering (originally coined by Frederick Walton in 1864, and ruled as generic following a lawsuit for trademark infringement in 1878).

There is no question that "champagne" has this status; most dictionaries state something like "a wine produced in the Champagne region of France, or similar wines produced elsewhere".

On Kleenex:

http://www.duetsblog.com/2009/09/articles/kleenexa-not-wanting-to-blow-it-some-steps-to-avoid-trademark-genericide/

QuoteUnlike the kind of trademark abandonment that automatically results from the single act of non-use of a trademark coupled with no intention at that time to resume use of the trademark, the kind of trademark abandonment that is also known as genericide, in contrast, results from a gradual change in the meaning of a trademark or brand to an unprotectable generic term. A change that shifts the meaning -- understood by a majority of the relevant consuming public -- from identifying, distinguishing and indicating a single source for a particular product or service to a designation that connotes no single source at all, but instead, an entire product or service category with multiple unrelated sources.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 02:32:29 PM
Its also an advantage to consumers who might otherwise be fooled into thinking that what they are buying is Champagne when it isnt.

Who are these consumers that are so tricked? The most common person (at least here in America) is already going to use champagne interchangeably with sparking wine (I don't really think they will actually use sparking wine as a term...but that's neither here nor there)...and they are likely to know that French champagnes are held of special regard.  Not really sure where'd they get lost as they don't really care that much about the difference - and may as some people I know - have less of an affinity for "real" Champagne.

Then you also have the connoisseurs and I'd be hard pressed to believe that said individuals would get tricked by Korbel if it started selling its product under the name champagne.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2011, 02:26:58 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 02:20:49 PM
That's how "genericization" works - originally the term (say "kleenex") was unique; then it comes in to general usage to designate a type of product rather than a specific product.

Sure when it comes to general usage but last I checked facial tissue from companies other than Kleenex cannot sell their product labeled 'Kleenex' since it is a trademark violation.  I mean does it really matter if the label on the bottle says 'sparking wine' instead of champagne?  We all know what it is.

That's kinda of my point. No need to make regulations protecting the "authentic" version is no one cares. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 02:45:40 PM
Who are these consumers that are so tricked?

Probably the same ones who you say cant tell the difference between Champagne and Prosecco.  Its a scammers dream - see I brought the discussion back on topic. ;)

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 02:49:13 PM

Probably the same ones who you say cant tell the difference between Champagne and Prosecco.  Its a scammers dream - see I brought the discussion back on topic. ;)

Now if you can get tattooed, dreadlocked protestors storming down Wall Street protesting the inequities of Champagne and Prosecco marketing in America, I'd be impressed.  :D

"Well, we all had these different demands, but this was one we could all agree on - stop this oppression of the Champagne drinking public NOW!!!!!oneone"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 02:20:49 PMAnd baloney, or bolognia, has been made in the Bolognia region probably for longer than there has been an America.   ;)
The sausage which is made in Bologna and is known in North America is actually protected under EU law (I looked it up).  It's made in a different way and the area of protection is large.  It's called mortadella Bologna, which is a relatively specific name.  Apparently because other regions have their own varieties like mortadella Amatrice and the rest.

QuotePoint is it is now, in this day and age, a genericized term in a goodly portion of the world ("only" North America and Russia?  :lol:).
It's a market the size of the EU, if that, and the US does acknowledge wine naming controls.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2011, 02:57:05 PM
It's a market the size of the EU, if that, and the US does acknowledge wine naming controls.

Yes, unfortunately in the last decade we joined in on limiting champagne. :(

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2011, 02:49:13 PM

And how do they lose? They weren't going to be buying expensive "sparkling wines" anyway. ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 02:59:01 PM

Why is that unfortunate?  What do you lose by not having the word Champagne on your bottle of Korbel?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2011, 03:00:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2011, 02:59:01 PM

Why is that unfortunate?  What do you lose by not having the word Champagne on your bottle of Korbel?

I have to put up with snobs who protest when I say I'm drinking champagne. -_-

Although I prefer Gloria Ferrer to Korbel. :secret:

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2011, 02:57:05 PM
The sausage which is made in Bologna and is known in North America is actually protected under EU law (I looked it up).  It's made in a different way and the area of protection is large.  It's called mortadella Bologna, which is a relatively specific name.  Apparently because other regions have their own varieties like mortadella Amatrice and the rest.

So, what's the significance of this? Are you arguing that people in NA should stop selling sausage named "Bologna"?

QuoteIt's a market the size of the EU, if that, and the US does acknowledge wine naming controls.

While this is true, it does not address the argument as to whether it is a good idea.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2011, 01:14:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2011, 01:13:10 PM
What is Prosseco?
Sparkling white wine from Italy.  It's drier than asti so is often used by cheap bars (like the ones I've worked in) as the champagne in Bellinis.

I wouldn't diss prosecco. It makes for a nice drink that goes well with a meal.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2011, 03:02:12 PM
While this is true, it does not address the argument as to whether it is a good idea.

I'm pretty sure that the current laws (& regulations) are the best laws that man can dream of. After all, if they were not, we would implement those better laws. :smarty: