News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Funny Justin :)

During the debate, there was a question on euthanasia.  He quickly dodged the question and started talking about his tax plan instead.
Flash forward to his post-debate press conference.  A journalist asks him why he dodge the question on euthanasia and started talking about his tax plan.
Trudeau answers he was very clear in euthanasia but then goes on to talk about his tax plan and how it's good for the economy :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grallon

The niquab business reveals the true color of the candidates.  Justin is a Liberal, therefore a partisan of the multikulti bullshit - and Mulclair is a Liberal pretending to be NDP - therefore he's courting the immigrant vote and all the idiots who believe in multiculturalism. 

I wonder if we wouldn't be better with 'the devil we know' after all...  :hmm:  Which is no doubt Harper's move here. :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on September 25, 2015, 06:32:33 AM
I wonder if we wouldn't be better with 'the devil we know' after all...  :hmm:  Which is no doubt Harper's move here. :P
G.
Of course it's his move.  He's far, far, far, from being a dumb guy.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on September 24, 2015, 09:23:14 PM
Funny Justin :)

During the debate, there was a question on euthanasia.  He quickly dodged the question and started talking about his tax plan instead.
Flash forward to his post-debate press conference.  A journalist asks him why he dodge the question on euthanasia and started talking about his tax plan.
Trudeau answers he was very clear in euthanasia but then goes on to talk about his tax plan and how it's good for the economy :P

I've noticed Justin likes to stick to his talking points...but to be honest, the others tend to do that as well.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

I've said from Day One of this campaign, the minute the media starting saying "Mulcair can win" was the death knell for the NDP's chances.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Josephus, I agree.  This is the election of the talking point.  It is very aggravating.  I still don't have a good idea what anyone would really do once elected.  I think this favours the Conservatives because we have an idea of what they would do at least.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2015, 11:32:47 AM
Josephus, I agree.  This is the election of the talking point.  It is very aggravating.  I still don't have a good idea what anyone would really do once elected.

It could be worse, the talking points could be horrifying like in our election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2015, 11:32:47 AM
Josephus, I agree.  This is the election of the talking point.  It is very aggravating.  I still don't have a good idea what anyone would really do once elected.  I think this favours the Conservatives because we have an idea of what they would do at least.

:huh:

Conservatives: pretty much status quo / what was in the last budget

Liberals: enhanced child care benefit aimed at low income families, billions more in infrastructure spending, tax increase for wealthy but cuts for middle class, promise to run deficits

NDP: promise to tax increases and no deficits, will cancel income splitting, will create $15 / day child care system
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Yeah, those are the talking points.

Conservatives - no idea what they are going to do now.  They went against the philosophy of the previous Finance Minister and introduced income splitting, increased TFSA account limits etc etc.  Who knows what they intend to do now if elected.  Its anyone's guess. 

Liberals.  Who knows what the people telling Justin what to say are going to decide they should do once they get in power. 

NDP.  At least here we have a better idea. And the NDP have paid the price politically about being so open about what they will do.

crazy canuck

Wow, the NDP have really dropped in the Globe seat forecast and the Conservatives are near where they were when they called the election but not yet close to a majority government.

Still only a 1% chance any party will get a majority.  50% chance the Conservatives will get the most seats in a minority government.  NDP and Liberals are now about even. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-election-forecast-2015/article25377958/

edit: and I noticed my riding is now trending Conservative - it had been projected to be a Liberal seat for a while.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2015, 01:42:43 PM
Wow, the NDP have really dropped in the Globe seat forecast and the Conservatives are near where they were when they called the election but not yet close to a majority government.

Still only a 1% chance any party will get a majority.  50% chance the Conservatives will get the most seats in a minority government.  NDP and Liberals are now about even. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-election-forecast-2015/article25377958/

That's just from incorporating the EKOS poll which gave the Conservatives 35% into their matrix.

I still want to see if other polls confirm that number.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2015, 11:44:36 AM
Conservatives: pretty much status quo
That's a problem in this current election.  That explains why the other parties are so strong.

Liberals: enhanced child care benefit aimed at low income families, billions more in infrastructure spending, tax increase for wealthy but cuts for middle class, promise to run deficits
increase spending for cities and cultural subsidies too.

NDP: promise to tax increases and no deficits, will cancel income splitting, will create $15 / day child care system
Cancellation of NATO agreements, budget cuts for the army, bringing back our troops deployed in Irak/Syria, the few still in Afghanisan, no more participation in any combat mission from UN or NATO, slowly turning Canada into a northern Venezuela, I think their path is clear.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2015, 01:30:55 PM
Conservatives - no idea what they are going to do now.  They went against the philosophy of the previous Finance Minister and introduced income splitting, increased TFSA account limits etc etc.  Who knows what they intend to do now if elected.  Its anyone's guess. 
in these cases, they did exactly what they said they would do.  The problem is, we got more data in the mean time telling us it wasn't such a great idea after all.

NDP.  At least here we have a better idea. And the NDP have paid the price politically about being so open about what they will do.
They pay the price for the double discours, that is unusual.  The Liberals have gotten away with this for over a decade, but it ain't working so well for Mulcair.  Maybe it's the social media effect, whatever he says in English or French is quickly translated in the other official language for all to see.  The numerous contradictions between "Tom" Mulcair and "Thomas" Mulcair are, justifiably, scaring some people.

And there's the hidden agenda.  He says he'll balance the budget, but he's got way more expenses than revenues, so he's hiding something.  Either he won't balance the budget, either he'll make cuts he hasn't talked about or he won't deliver on his promises.  I guess there are limits as to how much more abuse canadians can take from politicians treating them as morons.

viper37

Uh.

While I approve of seeing my taxes going down, or at least not increasing, that's a pretty dumb move from Harper.
Tax lock law
Who knows what the future can reserve?

crazy canuck

And it is unconstitutional since no law can purport to bind future decisions of Parliament.  I guess the "read my lips" line was already taken though :D