News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2024, 12:38:16 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 05, 2024, 12:36:52 PMMinnesota and Wisconsin also have a third of the population and Michigan 2/3s plus what left of the American auto industry.

All numbers are "per capita".

I know, but a comparable industry in Minnesota would have a higher per capita impact than in Ontario. Doesn't explain everything, but does nudge numbers.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Generally I find for the United States the median income and poverty rates tells more of the story on how our economies are doing. Our 1% is really crazy rich and can create misleading numbers.

Surprised BC is that low.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Some experts say Quebec's number are affected by our relative poor productivity numbers. We simply create less gross product per hours work than our Canadian and American counter parts.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2024, 11:47:44 AMHere's a fun little map - GDP per capita of US states and Canadian provinces.

https://twitter.com/trevortombe/status/1831705145857409472

I mean I think we know that Canada is poorer than the US, but this really brings it home.  The absolutely poorest jurisdiction in north America is Nova Scotia at 45.2 (thousands, USD per capita).  Ontario (59.7) is about on par with South Carolina (60).  Quebec (54.4) is on par with West Virginia (56.2).  My home province of Manitoba (52.3) is just ahead of Mississippi (49.8), with Mississippi being the poorest state in the union (West Virginia second poorest).

Highest in Canada is Alberta (82.2) which puts us on par with Texas (84).

But then of course no place in Canada comes close to Washington (102.6) or New York (110).

Oh and BC (63.1)? About on par with Montana (62.3) or Oklahoma (62.7).

Yeah, the productivity collapse in the country needs to be addressed. 

Valmy

Weird. Why did productivity collapse?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2024, 01:48:19 PMWeird. Why did productivity collapse?

It's not that productivity collapsed - but that it stopped increasing (per capita) in Canada, while it continued to increase in the US.

I've heard it argued that part of the story is immigration - that the Trudeau Liberals chose to increase immigration of less-skilled workers in order to juice top-line GDP growth, while at the cost of per-capita GDP growth, but that is at most only part of the story.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2024, 02:03:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2024, 01:48:19 PMWeird. Why did productivity collapse?

It's not that productivity collapsed - but that it stopped increasing (per capita) in Canada, while it continued to increase in the US.

I've heard it argued that part of the story is immigration - that the Trudeau Liberals chose to increase immigration of less-skilled workers in order to juice top-line GDP growth, while at the cost of per-capita GDP growth, but that is at most only part of the story.

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2024, 02:03:03 PM

No, productivity has actually been decreasing over the last couple of years.

And yes the Liberals masked it by increasing immigration.

Valmy, I don't know enough to give you the causal explanation.  I leave that to more knowledgeable posters.  I just know it's a big problem.

Barrister

So Singh's decision to "tear-up" the confidence-and-supply agreement is meeting mixed reviews at best.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/singh-deal-liberals-1.7313971

And this matches what I've seen on Twitter.  People who are clearly Liberal partisans accuse Singh of supporting the Conservatives (obviously, the worst possible thing).  People who are clearly Conservative partisans accuse this of being nothing but a stunt, since Singh isn't voting "no confidence".  People who are NDP partisans aren't quite sure what Singh is doing.  As the CBC article states, Singh in a news conference wouldn't say why they executed the deal at this time, and wouldn't say under what circumstances he would vote no confidence.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2024, 12:37:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2024, 12:18:16 PMIf you do median income and poverty rates Canada might fare better.

Let's see about that:

Median income per province:

Median income per state:

Doesn't look too bad.

BUT!

You have to account for currency.  Pretty sure the Canadian data is in Canadian dollars.

The purchasing power parity of the Canadian dollar is $0.84, google suggests.

So Alberta's USD median income is around $64k - which again puts it on par with Texas.

Ontario is $61.3 - on par with Georgia.

BC is $57.5 - maybe on par with Ohio.

Quebec is $51.5 - puts it around Louisiana.

So it pretty much tracks the per capita GDP - with the exception that it does smooth out the really high numbers for New York, Cali and Wash (although they're still high).  If you look at Canada's richest provinces and they track the US's decided middle-run states.

I may take a stab at poverty rates, but I suspect there may be real issues comparing data from the two countries.
After tax doesn't mean much though.

We have daycare and healthcare provided by governments, if you can get a foot in the system.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 06, 2024, 10:27:13 AMNDP used stock image from Russia in video weeks after decrying Conservative use of the same

So, the far left is also in league with Russia agents.  Who knew? :P

I mean - the Conservatives deserved to be mocked for doing it, but it was clearly an oversight, so I'm not going to get worked up when it happened to the NDP as well.

Jacob

If you were being partisan you could decide that the NDP deserves extra mocking for failing to learn from the mistakes of others, instead repeating them.

Or, you know, you could be chill about it like you are being :)

viper37

Attachment to the country (red) - to the province (blue.

The redder the colour means the people of the province identify more to the country than to their province.  The bluer the color means they identify more to their province.

I am shocked, shocked, by the results.

Ontarians are Canadians.  Damn. I just fell off my chair.
:P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 06, 2024, 11:42:14 AMIf you were being partisan you could decide that the NDP deserves extra mocking for failing to learn from the mistakes of others, instead repeating them.

Or, you know, you could be chill about it like you are being :)

Or, you could be equally critical of both.  We live in a world now where political parties no longer have to deal with the news media.  They can and do communicate directly with the public. 

From this perspective it would only be the partisans who think it is appropriate to just "chill".

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on September 06, 2024, 12:39:36 PMAttachment to the country (red) - to the province (blue.

The redder the colour means the people of the province identify more to the country than to their province.  The bluer the color means they identify more to their province.

I am shocked, shocked, by the results.

Ontarians are Canadians.  Damn. I just fell off my chair.
:P

Let's do that independence.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.