News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-confidence-deal-ndp-singh-1.7307944

Poilievre sends a letter to Singh asking the NDP to pull support for the Liberals.

Now of course these kind of negotiations are never done in public, so this is kind of meaningless posturing.

Or is it?  It does have the effect of continuing to try and tie Trudeau and Singh together, such that if you want to vote Trudeau out perhaps your only option is to vote Conservative.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

A few points.  This is not just a decision made by Falcon, and he is not joining the BC Conservatives.  He is leaving politics.

This is also not a formal merger.  As you said, that would be a formal process. Instead Falcon and the directors of the Party decided to suspend the party's participation in the election.

But what will happen next will look a lot more like a merger.  The B.C. Conservatives have committed to merge the candidates so that the strongest candidate runs in each riding.  So that will mean that long standing popular  B.C. Liberal, now United, MLAs will end up as BC Conservative candidates.

crazy canuck

So less like a merger now.  The high profile MLAs are saying they will now run.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Listening to two polling company reps this morning some interesting points:

The B.C. United vote has split equally amongst the BC Conservatives, NDP and undecided.  So the result in the early polling is tie, with a bigger than usual undecided group.

Jacob

Meanwhile, Rusted is setting out his thoughts on things on an interview by Jordan Peterson :(

Among other gems, he decried that the BC Liberals stopped nuclear power in BC. What he didn't mention is that he was a member of the BC Liberals when they made that decision (and a minister IIRC). And, of course, he is running a bunch of now firmer BC Liberals as candidates...

I know it'll be neck and neck but it's pretty depressing if we get our own Danielle Smith to run our province :(

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 01, 2024, 01:41:58 PMHow Winnipeg has changed since the 1870s

I thought BB would like to see this, among others.

By the way that was cool - thanks.

Early-1900s Winnipeg was the biggest city in western Canada and called the "Chicago of the North".  It has a ton of really cool old architecture from that period in the downtown area.

Josquius

Is Jordan Peterson a thing in Canada?
I mean like an actual mainstream thing. Not the general permanently online incel hero he was some years ago.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on September 03, 2024, 02:16:00 PMIs Jordan Peterson a thing in Canada?
I mean like an actual mainstream thing. Not the general permanently online incel hero he was some years ago.

Like he initially came to fame for being against a bill dealing with online hate speech in Canada.

Beyond that though his fame in Canada grew alongside his international reputation.

I've felt for a long time he's one of those guys who just flew too close to the sun.  I haven't read it but his "12 Rules for Life" sounded incredibly sensible and the online hate he got ridiculous.  Since then though he's gone further and further into the online right-wing ecosystem and is not someone I'd want to be associated with.

Grey Fox

For obvious reasons, he's a nobody in Quebec francophone circles.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on September 03, 2024, 02:16:00 PMIs Jordan Peterson a thing in Canada?

He got his start in Canada as an outspoken member of faculty at the University of Toronto.  He was also a fast adapter to social media and that is when he became known internationally.

Jacob

Peterson's reputation in Canada is the same as it is in the rest of the English works. Some folks feel he's been misunderstood and maligned, and others feel that he's a total crank. For a Canadian politician to associate with Peterson would send the same message as it would if an American or British politician did.

It was a very deliberate move by the BC Con candidate to signal his positions to the electorate.

Jacob

Rustad (the leader of the BC Conservatives and potentially our next Premier) on carbon taxing and carbon pollution: "How is it we have convinced carbon based beings that carbon is the problem. We can't make a difference, we are a rounding error."

https://globalnews.ca/news/10730603/rustad-peterson-podcast-politics/

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 03, 2024, 07:04:41 PMRustad (the leader of the BC Conservatives and potentially our next Premier) on carbon taxing and carbon pollution: "How is it we have convinced carbon based beings that carbon is the problem. We can't make a difference, we are a rounding error."

https://globalnews.ca/news/10730603/rustad-peterson-podcast-politics/

I am surprised Rustad Let this happen now.  It made sense for him politically when the BC conservatives were going for the extreme right wing vote but now that they have incorporated the centre right party, this is going to be very problematic for him.

Do you know when the interview place?

Jacob

The Jordan Peterson interview was released yesterday. Not sure when it was recorded.