News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 09, 2024, 06:40:49 PMI know - it was a big political consensus, but political consensus amongst political parties can often be quite divorced from their policy content. I remain unsure as to the actual importance of fiscal conservatism, beyond the slogan, among voters. I know they scored points with the analogy to domestic responsibility, but the connection to the tinly veiled moral language of conservatism at large - punish the lazy - appears slightly clearer to me.

So...

I think to one extent you're right, that fiscal conservatism aka balanced budgets, isn't exactly a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.  The promise of free money will always be appealling.

On the other hand though I strenuously reject the notion that being in favour of balanced budgets means you want to "punish the lazy".  With respect, that is I suggest some very lazy left-wing thinking.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 09, 2024, 06:40:49 PMI know - it was a big political consensus, but political consensus amongst political parties can often be quite divorced from their policy content. I remain unsure as to the actual importance of fiscal conservatism, beyond the slogan, among voters. I know they scored points with the analogy to domestic responsibility, but the connection to the tinly veiled moral language of conservatism at large - punish the lazy - appears slightly clearer to me.

I think a fair inference can be drawn that the reason that even the left-wing Parties pledged fiscal conservatism is that the voters demanded it during that period of time.  My memory of that time is that it was the main topic of debate, not just among the parties, but among the people.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2024, 01:46:41 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 09, 2024, 01:31:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2024, 09:51:52 AMBut in Canada, we had a fiscal conservative in Harper.
The people didn't like it.

They voted him out of power in favour of a government who promised to spend beyond our means and who said deficits and debt didn't matter.  And the people were happy.

Parties took notes.

I voted for him until he started dipping his toe into pandering to racists.

He never did. 

He promised to create a hotline to fight radicalism.

Instead, we got uncontrolled immigration to welcome terrorists and criminals with open arms without even bothering with proper checks because we need to increase our pop 10x.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 09, 2024, 06:40:49 PMI remain unsure as to the actual importance of fiscal conservatism, beyond the slogan, among voters.
It's very important.  Until they get affected themselves.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

In other news, Mark Carney becomes Trudeau's special advisor.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on September 09, 2024, 07:52:58 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2024, 01:46:41 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 09, 2024, 01:31:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2024, 09:51:52 AMBut in Canada, we had a fiscal conservative in Harper.
The people didn't like it.

They voted him out of power in favour of a government who promised to spend beyond our means and who said deficits and debt didn't matter.  And the people were happy.

Parties took notes.

I voted for him until he started dipping his toe into pandering to racists.

He never did. 

He promised to create a hotline to fight radicalism.

Instead, we got uncontrolled immigration to welcome terrorists and criminals with open arms without even bothering with proper checks because we need to increase our pop 10x.

Don't go all Raz on us :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Well, it's true they're letting too many people in and that they can't do background checks anymore.

It doesn't have anything to do with the origins of said person.

People who have already been condemned in their country of origins for a crime which they repeat here, like drunk driving causing an accident. Or terrorism.  Or other criminal activities.

HVC

And I know we talked about this before, but if he wasn't trying to rally the racist vote then they should have brain stormed a better name then "barbaric cultural practices" hotline.

Also, we also have cops, a special hotline is unnecessary and obviously a ploy. But anyway, that's long past. And as far as a current protest vote i could never vote for Mr P.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2024, 08:09:29 PMAnd I know we talked about this before, but if he wasn't trying to rally the racist vote then they should have brain stormed a better name then "barbaric cultural practices" hotline.

Also, we also have cops, a special hotline is unnecessary and obviously a ploy. But anyway, that's long past. And as far as a current protest vote i could never vote for Mr P.
WE've been talking about this before: these people don't go to the police, it's not their first reflex.  They ask for advice everywhere but the police.

I don't thino I could vote for PP either.

I'll have to accept that the Bloc has a moronic leader with a solid team and pinch my nose.

saskganesh

If people won't call 911, why would they call a "Barbaric Cultural Practises" hot line?

Anyway, lots of media currently about right wing influencers taking Kremlin money. The rot among so-called "populists" is deep.

PP of course has always refused to get a security clearance.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 09, 2024, 09:43:46 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2024, 08:09:29 PMAnd I know we talked about this before, but if he wasn't trying to rally the racist vote then they should have brain stormed a better name then "barbaric cultural practices" hotline.

WE've been talking about this before: these people don't go to the police, it's not their first reflex.  They ask for advice everywhere but the police.

I don't thino I could vote for PP either.

I'll have to accept that the Bloc has a moronic leader with a solid team and pinch my nose.

Who are "these people"?

The barbaric practices hotline was for non Muslims to report on Muslims.

The people who would use that hotline would have no problem talking to the police.

In short it was designed to appeal to Karens and Islamophobes.

Jacob

PP has always refused to get a security clearance?

Has he given a reason?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 10, 2024, 09:19:36 AMPP has always refused to get a security clearance?

Has he given a reason?

Context is important here.  "Always" implies that there is some obligation on elected officials to undergo a security clearance. That is not so.

This was a special circumstance in which the opposition leaders were offered the opportunity to view the classified parts of the report related to election interference by foreign governments.

PP refused to undergo the security clearance because it would mean he could not publicly comment on the contents of the report.

May and Singh did view the report and said contradictory things.  May said she was not concerned. Singh said he was very concerned.

That then led to the more formal inquiry and what has been made public about that has been very troubling.

Personally, I thought PP should have read the report so that he knew what risks there were within his own party.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2024, 05:32:01 AMWho are "these people"?
One case recently involved an individual who wanted to commit crimes in the name of ISIS, and another of South American origin who emigrated here despite his condemnation for having caused an accident after driving under the influence and who repeated his behavior here, with deadly results.

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2024, 05:32:01 AMThe barbaric practices hotline was for non Muslims to report on Muslims.
The people who would use that hotline would have no problem talking to the police.
In short it was designed to appeal to Karens and Islamophobes.
Genital multilation and forced marriage aren't reserved to Muslims.

Forced marriage, especially, are a current practice of many recent Hindu immigrants.

These young people don't go to the police and they have no idea where to go.  They turn up in online forums to ask for help.

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on September 10, 2024, 05:06:40 AMIf people won't call 911, why would they call a "Barbaric Cultural Practises" hot line?
The name is ill chosen.

People may call a safe number, or someone may call on their behalf.