News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 06, 2024, 02:43:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 06, 2024, 12:39:36 PMAttachment to the country (red) - to the province (blue.

The redder the colour means the people of the province identify more to the country than to their province.  The bluer the color means they identify more to their province.

I am shocked, shocked, by the results.

Ontarians are Canadians.  Damn. I just fell off my chair.
:P

Let's do that independence.

The CAQ ain't gonna do it any time soon the way they govern.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Doug Ford spent a quarter of a Billion dollars to end an exclusive contract a year early so that corner stores can sell booze. What happened to the myth of the fiscal conservative?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

a better question is Where did all the fiscal conservatives go?

They have been absent in the United States for a while.  But in Canada, we had a fiscal conservative in Harper.  The emphasis of the conservatives now in Canada is populism.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on September 08, 2024, 09:34:29 AMDoug Ford spent a quarter of a Billion dollars to end an exclusive contract a year early so that corner stores can sell booze. What happened to the myth of the fiscal conservative?

It surrendered to populism
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2024, 09:51:52 AMBut in Canada, we had a fiscal conservative in Harper.
The people didn't like it.

They voted him out of power in favour of a government who promised to spend beyond our means and who said deficits and debt didn't matter.  And the people were happy.

Parties took notes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on September 09, 2024, 01:31:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2024, 09:51:52 AMBut in Canada, we had a fiscal conservative in Harper.

They voted him out of power in favour of a government who promised to spend beyond our means and who said deficits and debt didn't matter.  And the people were happy.

Parties took notes.

I voted for him until he started dipping his toe into pandering to racists.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2024, 01:46:41 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 09, 2024, 01:31:41 PM

Parties took notes.

I voted for him until he started dipping his toe into pandering to racists.

You voted for Harper?

OH, HVC, I'm so disappointed.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Only conservative I voted for lol. Started as a protest vote. But he didn't break stuff so I kept it up :D

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2024, 09:51:52 AMa better question is Where did all the fiscal conservatives go?

They have been absent in the United States for a while.  But in Canada, we had a fiscal conservative in Harper.  The emphasis of the conservatives now in Canada is populism.

In the 1990s both parties wanted fiscal conservatism and we had a balanced budget...ish. Maybe.

But then George W Bush became President and blasted our budget into oblivion while his VP announced that Reagan proved that deficits do not matter. And we basically have continued on this completely sustainable path ever since.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2024, 04:12:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2024, 09:51:52 AMa better question is Where did all the fiscal conservatives go?

In the 1990s both parties wanted fiscal conservatism and we had a balanced budget...ish. Maybe.

But the George W Bush became President and blasted our budget into oblivion while his VP announced that Reagan proved that deficits do not matter. And we basically have continued on this completely sustainable path ever since.

Yeah, that's what I had in mind  :)

Oexmelin

I think "fiscal conservatism" was always a very narrow electoral niche that was overrepresented among political personnel.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 09, 2024, 06:19:40 PMI think "fiscal conservatism" was always a very narrow electoral niche that was overrepresented among political personnel.

It depends what time period you are thinking about.  Back in the 90s getting budget deficits under control was THE main issue in Canadian politics.  All the parties promised to do it.  Consider that even the NDP, leading in the polls, ran on being fiscally prudent.  That is when I think the concept became a spent force in Canada - and Trudeau was elected.  And boy have we paid the price for that.

Oexmelin

I know - it was a big political consensus, but political consensus amongst political parties can often be quite divorced from their policy content. I remain unsure as to the actual importance of fiscal conservatism, beyond the slogan, among voters. I know they scored points with the analogy to domestic responsibility, but the connection to the tinly veiled moral language of conservatism at large - punish the lazy - appears slightly clearer to me.
Que le grand cric me croque !