News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 01, 2011, 05:55:17 PM
Of course, now I feel a little conflicted about supporting two different Texas college football teams.

Nah.  You got a mid-major and a major.  You're good to go.

Hell they're both part of the same system too, so even better.  They won't play each other for a long time either.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 01, 2011, 05:33:48 PM
Oklahoma to the Pac 12? Does this guy know something the rest of us don't or is he a crackpot?

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/one-more-move-and-big-12-is-over-1809134.html?cxtype=rss_longhorns&viewAsSinglePage=true

Bohls is saying what he hopes happens.  He is editorializing there not reporting.  The article predicts Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma AND Texas to the PAC 12 and well nobody has been reporting that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2011, 06:28:10 PM
Oklahoma to the Pac 12? Does this guy know something the rest of us don't or is he a crackpot?

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/one-more-move-and-big-12-is-over-1809134.html?cxtype=rss_longhorns&viewAsSinglePage=true

Bohls is saying what he hopes happens.  He is editorializing there not reporting.  The article predicts Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma AND Texas to the PAC 12 and well nobody has been reporting that.
I cannot imagine the Pac Ten/12/whatever taking all four of those schools.  Texas, yes.  The rest (maybe not TT, I know nothing of the school academically) aren't much more than community colleges with oversized sports departments.  They bring no TV markets and they dumb down the Pac Ten considerably.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2011, 07:49:52 PM

I cannot imagine the Pac Ten/12/whatever taking all four of those schools.  Texas, yes.  The rest (maybe not TT, I know nothing of the school academically) aren't much more than community colleges with oversized sports departments.  They bring no TV markets and they dumb down the Pac Ten considerably.
Do they really care about that or is it all about the money? Texas and Oklahoma are premier football programs, that's what brings in the money when negotiating tv deals.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 01, 2011, 08:00:07 PM
Do they really care about that or is it all about the money? Texas and Oklahoma are premier football programs, that's what brings in the money when negotiating tv deals.

Of course they care about that.  It's not just about sports.

jimmy olsen

He seems a credible journalist from what other sources are saying. :unsure:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/01/ou-to-jump-to-pac-12-sooner-rather-than-later/
QuoteThat's right.  On the first official day of the 2011 season, one of the most respected writers in Big 12 country if not all of college football is not only very publicly seeing the end of the conference — presumably from a source or sources he's developed from within the conference itself — he's also saying that all of this will unfold in less than a month's time.

As if to add a tanker full of fuel to the fire of speculation, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott issued a statement to Suzanne Halliburton of the American-Statesman that does not dismiss Bohls' scenario.  At all.

"While I cannot predict if and when this (Pac-12 expansion) might make sense for us, we will listen to and evaluate any scenario that would benefit our member institutions, our student-athletes and our fans," Scott trolled told the paper.

And what of The Longhorn Network, the television elephant in the room that prevented the Pac-16 from being formed last year and played a prominent role in the Aggies departing this year? "The Longhorn Network gets folded into the Pac-16 as a downsized regional network, joining the six regional networks that already exist within the conference," Bohls writes.

Of course, if Bohls' apocalyptic scenario were to come to fruition — and obviously that's a very, very big if right now — it would be a monumental shift for both the future of the game and for the 2011 itself.  Instead of both eyes being focused squarely on the playing field for the foreseeable future, at least one would be trained squarely on the offices of the SEC and the Big Ten.  Make no mistake; if the Pac-12 makes the first real leap into the super-conference stratosphere, the two power conferences will respond in kind — very forcefully, very emphatically.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 01, 2011, 08:48:08 PM

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/01/ou-to-jump-to-pac-12-sooner-rather-than-later/
QuoteThat's right.  On the first official day of the 2011 season, one of the most respected writers in Big 12 country if not all of college football is not only very publicly seeing the end of the conference — presumably from a source or sources he's developed from within the conference itself — he's also saying that all of this will unfold in less than a month's time.

As if to add a tanker full of fuel to the fire of speculation, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott issued a statement to Suzanne Halliburton of the American-Statesman that does not dismiss Bohls' scenario.  At all.

"While I cannot predict if and when this (Pac-12 expansion) might make sense for us, we will listen to and evaluate any scenario that would benefit our member institutions, our student-athletes and our fans," Scott trolled told the paper.

And what of The Longhorn Network, the television elephant in the room that prevented the Pac-16 from being formed last year and played a prominent role in the Aggies departing this year? "The Longhorn Network gets folded into the Pac-16 as a downsized regional network, joining the six regional networks that already exist within the conference," Bohls writes.

Of course, if Bohls' apocalyptic scenario were to come to fruition — and obviously that's a very, very big if right now — it would be a monumental shift for both the future of the game and for the 2011 itself.  Instead of both eyes being focused squarely on the playing field for the foreseeable future, at least one would be trained squarely on the offices of the SEC and the Big Ten.  Make no mistake; if the Pac-12 makes the first real leap into the super-conference stratosphere, the two power conferences will respond in kind — very forcefully, very emphatically.

What does his credibility have to do with whether that article is fact or an opinion?  Can't a credible person write both?

Valmy

I never said he wasn't.  But he writes editorials and makes predictions all the time.

It would be pretty farcical if everybody got all this money and swore a super sacred oath to commit to the conference just to bail the next year.  Ah well.  My once beloved conference.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 01, 2011, 08:00:07 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2011, 07:49:52 PM

If any conference were to care it would be the Pac-12; that said I wouldn't completely rule it out.  If the future of college football is the 4 16 team Superconferences the conference(s) that move the quickest will be in the best shape and Larry Scott has shown he is willing to get out in front of things like this.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on September 01, 2011, 09:37:40 PM
What does his credibility have to do with whether that article is fact or an opinion?  Can't a credible person write both?

Yeah this is an opinion piece.  He is not reporting facts here.  At least not explicitly.

MadBurgerMaker

Valmy

:lol:

Yeah I am not just a huge fan of Bohls myself but he has been covering the Longhorns as the Austin Newspaper guy since the 80s.

He wrote a really great book on Texas football for the 1992 centenial season.  It was my bible o' Bevo as a teenager.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2011, 09:38:57 PM

It would be pretty farcical if everybody got all this money and swore a super sacred oath to commit to the conference just to bail the next year.  Ah well.  My once beloved conference.
The fact that it wasn't put on paper made me expect betrayal all along.

1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2011, 09:43:23 PM
He wrote a really great book on Texas football for the 1992 centenial season.

:hmm: I think I have that around here somewhere. 

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 01, 2011, 09:45:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2011, 09:43:23 PM
He wrote a really great book on Texas football for the 1992 centenial season.

:hmm: I think I have that around here somewhere. 

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Long-Live-Longhorns-Years-Football/dp/0312093284

I just wish he would write an update.