Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 10:44:43 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 31, 2011, 10:06:48 PM
SEC is looking at ASU and Arizona.

Because when you think Arizona, you definitely think of the words 'south east'.  :wacko:

I might have been lying about that completely.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 10:44:33 PM
Applewhite, Simms, Mock, Young, McCoy, Gilbert.  Snead never started a single game at Texas.  Say what you want about Coach Davis that dude could coach QBs.  Gilbert was the only one who was not a top performer...so long as Simms was not in a high pressure situation.

Mock wasn't really a top performer either.   

Anyway, re: Davis and QBs: I don't know.  I'm not really sure about how much he had to do with it vs. how much of it was natural ability.  These weren't exactly talentless losers that were being coached up.  I think McCoy was the lowest "rated" of them (or Major "Balls of Steel" Applewhite), and IIRC a lot of that was because of where he played football.  He also isn't the biggest guy in the universe.  He certainly didn't suck at football in high school though.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 31, 2011, 10:59:03 PM
Mock wasn't really a top performer either.  

:blink:

Yes he was.

His career stats were 115-214 1,613 Yards 17 TDs and 2 Ints.  Damn I would kill for him now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 11:01:16 PM
:blink:

Yes he was.

His career stats were 115-214 1,613 Yards 17 TDs and 2 Ints.  Damn I would kill for him now.

Yeah, Mock was awesome against New Mexico State, Rice, and Tulane, but got beaten by Arkansas and then absolutely curbstomped by OU (when he was benched and VY came in and it got even worse).  Gilbert managed more against OU, holy shit.  It was like 30 - 7 or something by the time Young was put in and made that long ass run where he weaved all over the field.

Edit:  Now the Chance Mock led Horns did beat K-State, so that's something, not that he was particularly good in that game or anything.

Edit2:  Well maybe he wasn't all that awesome against NMSU.  Here are the games he started AFAIK (attempts-completions-int  yards  TD  long  sacks):

Quote from: New Mexico State W66-7 Mock, Chance           15-7-0    156  2   53    1
Quote from: Arkansas L28-38Mock, Chance           40-21-0   264  3   55    1   <--- 40 attempts what the hell
Quote from: Rice W48-7Mock, Chance            8-8-0    159  2   59    0  <---nice 
Quote from: Tulane W63-18Mock, Chance           16-10-0   145  3   36    1   <---also nice 
Quote from: KState W24-20Mock, Chance           16-7-0     88  1   51    4
Quote from: Oklahoma L13-65Mock, Chance            9-4-1     21  0    9    0

Against Arky, OU, and KSU: 32 of 65 for 373 yards, 4TD, 1INT, 5 sacks (25-39 460 7TD 0INT against the scrubs).  What other stats there were came in cleanup or spot duty for Applewhite/Simms/VY.  He wasn't exactly a world beater.  He didn't lose his damn mind and turn the ball over every time he touched it like Gilbert does/did, but lets not get carried away about Mock.

MadBurgerMaker

Oh and in "oh alright" type news, according to Ticketmaster, it appears that somewhere around 55,800 seats have been reserved for UTSA's first game on Saturday.  They need to sell ~9,100 more for a complete sellout.  I think they're out of time, not that ~56,000 is a terrible thing.  They had to expand the student section to 20,000 ( :blink:) to meet demand.

They'll probably lose and everyone will be all pissed off and drunk.  This team they're playing, Northeastern State, apparently already played a game and really crushed some NAIA squad.

Also just found out what the field is going to look like.  It's also a-okay, with no orange turf (a joke released by someone that was actually taken seriously for a bit) or anything like that:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/sports/slideshow/Getting-Alamodome-ready-for-UTSA-30625.php#photo-

Seems like a pretty sweet gig that guy there has lined up.  The Alamodome artist for the last 20 years, eh?

FunkMonk

MBM, I might be going to UTSA next year so I may be sitting up there. Haven't been to the Alamodome in a long time.  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 01, 2011, 09:04:23 AM
MBM, I might be going to UTSA next year so I may be sitting up there. Haven't been to the Alamodome in a long time.  :cry:

Few people go to the Alamodome since nobody plays there.

Glad to finally see it have a tenant again.  I still cannot believe San Antonio built a huge football facility for their Basketball team.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2011, 09:21:54 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 01, 2011, 09:04:23 AM

Few people go to the Alamodome since nobody plays there.

Yeah I know. I think the last time I went there was for a field trip when I was in grade school.  :lol:

MadBurgerMaker

Ah right on Monk.  We can chill here in SA sipping margaritas and talking shit about that filthy northerner Valmy.  :ccr:

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 01, 2011, 01:28:41 PM
Ah right on Monk.  We can chill here in SA sipping margaritas and talking shit about that filthy northerner Valmy.  :ccr:

Hrm...you guys want to have a meet down there sometime this fall?  We could check out a UTSA game (just presuming it is reasonably cheap)?  I mean...not this Saturday...

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2011, 01:30:37 PM
Hrm...you guys want to have a meet down there sometime this fall?  We could check out a UTSA game (just presuming it is reasonably cheap)?  I mean...not this Saturday...

I'd probably be down, although tbh, I'd prefer to wait until the weather really cools off so it wouldn't be so unpleasant to check out the pregame stuff that's going on downtown (I've heard there's free beer at certain places on the Riverwalk, and IIRC UTSA is using Sunset Station for a lot of other things).  I'm only going Saturday, when it's probably going to be 100 degrees, because it's the first game. 

Re: Cost: Tickets for this one were $18 for the upper deck ($16 with military discount wow awesome discount guys) after all the Ticketmaster fees, etc, so it's very inexpensive.  Lower levels are, naturally, more, but the good spots down in the lower bowl filled up fast

BTW:  College football starts in an hour.  Murray State @ Louisville on ESPNU.   :yeah:

Ed Anger

Ohio State suspends 3 players for the Akron game. Yay, I guess.

Somebody dig up Art Schlichter and have him suit up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Kirk Bohls spitballs.

This Murray State QB is just awful and they're supposedly a passing team.  0-8 so far.  While a couple of them are incompletions because of the D, most are passes that are just flying out of reach. 

14-0 Louisville. 

Edit:  They're talking about needing to give him easy throws, but he was heaving screens into the damn stands earlier, and his WRs were having to make spectacular diving attempts to get their hands on slants. 

A COMPLETION!  AND ANOTHER! doh offsetting penalties Doh two penalties on Murray State, one on Louisville on that play, and the QB guns the ball into the ground from two yards away on the next play.   Dude is 1 - 11 now after a Louisville DB dropped the third down pass that hit him in the numbers.

FunkMonk

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 01, 2011, 01:28:41 PM

I say might be at UTSA because I'm waiting to see if I'm accepted at UT for next spring semester. Either way, I'll be in south-central Texas come sometime this fall.  :cool:

Of course, now I feel a little conflicted about supporting two different Texas college football teams.