News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2011, 09:48:42 PM
Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Long-Live-Longhorns-Years-Football/dp/0312093284

I just wish he would write an update.

Yeah I think I do have that somewhere.  Although since I'm not entirely certain, I could just shell out the $0.39 and get another copy.

Berkut

While I think grumbler has a point about the Pac-10's academic standards, most of what I've heard back when the Pac-16 was being discussed was that the "super-conference" realignment scenario would trump those concerns.

Bring in 1 or 2 schools? Yeah, they have to fit. Bring in 6, which is going to herald that super-conference era in college sports? Then maybe the Pac-10 relaxes those concerns.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Berkut on September 01, 2011, 10:04:03 PM
While I think grumbler has a point about the Pac-10's academic standards, most of what I've heard back when the Pac-16 was being discussed was that the "super-conference" realignment scenario would trump those concerns.

Bring in 1 or 2 schools? Yeah, they have to fit. Bring in 6, which is going to herald that super-conference era in college sports? Then maybe the Pac-10 relaxes those concerns.

Well Texas Tech and Oklahoma State aren't that bad.  They're not super awesome schools, but they're not Boise State Trucker U's or something either.  Tech, at least, has been actively making an effort to improve in recent years.  They probably fall around Oregon State type levels.

Edit:  This Kentucky - Western Kentucky game is interesting and boring at the same time.  How odd.

Edit2: Oh I forgot Oklahoma.  They're a little better than the other two. 

Eddie Teach

According to US News rankings for 2011, Texas Tech comes in at 159. Several Pac whatever schools are around 120-140s.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data/page+7
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Huh.  Arizona State is pretty far down there at 143.  I thought Oregon State brought up the rear in the PAC, but not according to this particular list.

Speaking of the PAC-12, when is their network going to be starting up? 

MadBurgerMaker

Man, watching the LHN (some show called Game Plan that just came on after something called Longhorn Extra looped a couple times), I'm kind of surprised.  The production quality is quite high, and the talking heads don't seem to be screwing up at all, really.  They've also been tying shows like 1st and 10 with that asshole Skip Bayless in there for some commentary on Big 12 and Texas specific topics.  Pretty solid stuff, imo, for a 4-5 day old network.  Mack has looked a little uncomfortable at times in a segment that had him standing on one side of a "TV" across from the talking head, but that's no big deal. 

Also, heh, UTSA will be on there tomorrow.  Sure, it's women's soccer, but hey

E:Oooo...they just showed the starting OL.  So, So, Fr, Sr (the former C), Sr.  Joe Bergeron looks like he wants to hit people. 

They also said Marquise Goodwin is done over in Korea.  13th place or something, so he didn't advance somethingsomethingsomething.   Too bad for him. 

Valmy

Damn you have the LHN?  You lucky lucky bastard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Woohoo! Wyoming at 153!

Pac-20 here we come!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Feel really bad for the 1 in 25 people who get rejected to Wyoming.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on September 02, 2011, 08:45:39 AM
Woohoo! Wyoming at 153!

Pac-20 here we come!

Without your inspired instruction I am sure it would only be 154.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PDH

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2011, 09:27:01 AM
Feel really bad for the 1 in 25 people who get rejected to Wyoming.  :P

The University of Wyoming HAS to accept high school graduates from in state - at least until they flunk out!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 01, 2011, 10:36:42 PM
Huh.  Arizona State is pretty far down there at 143.  I thought Oregon State brought up the rear in the PAC, but not according to this particular list.
Yeah, I take back my post.  The Pac-whatever isn't nearly as good academically as I had thought.  Oklahoma might actually bring the average up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on September 02, 2011, 10:36:30 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 01, 2011, 10:36:42 PM
Yeah, I take back my post.  The Pac-whatever isn't nearly as good academically as I had thought.  Oklahoma might actually bring the average up.

Now that I think about it for a minute the line I have heard in regards to the Pac-XX schools is "Research University."  No idea what exactly that means or how any of the 4 schools mentioned fit into that.  I do know that I have heard that is one reason why Boise State would never make the cut.  I have also heard that the Pac-XX is not at all interested in "religious" schools like BYU or Baylor.

Berkut

Quote from: sbr on September 02, 2011, 01:04:19 PM
I have also heard that the Pac-XX is not at all interested in "religious" schools like BYU or Baylor.

I've got a lot of pull with them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Indianapolis now with extreme Sweater Vest powah: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/02/jim-tressel-lands-a-job-with-the-colts/

QuoteJim Tressel lands a job with the Colts
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 2, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT

ReutersTerrelle Pryor's college coach will join Pryor in the NFL this year.

Colts coach Jim Caldwell said on a conference call Friday that Tressel was hired as a gameday consultant.  Tressel will focus on consulting on replays, with the idea to free up time for other coaches.   He'll also answer questions on sweater vest dos and don'ts.

Caldwell apparently has wanted to create the role for a few years, and Tressel seemed like a nice fit.  Tressel visited a few teams during training camp, including the Colts and Browns.

No word yet if the NFL plans to suspend Tressel five games to start the year, like they did with Pryor.