And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 31, 2011, 07:25:21 PM
They want new markets.

North Carolina or Virginia make the most sense.  V-Tech has no conference loyalty and hops around at the nearest fad.  They would be perfect.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

VaTech has been pretty straightforward with their comments regarding this whole thing.  It's all pretty much "No."  Sure, it could be CYA bullshit, but usually those types of statements are more...er...weasel-y than what they've been throwing out there.  This came out today:

Quote"Total poppycock. How many times do we have to say it? If one of these rumor mongers, would be willing to cite their 'multiple sources,' it might lend some credence. Frankly, we're tired of other people telling us what our future is.

"We are not interested. Nothing has changed. My president will not dignify wild speculation. Our last statement [from Aug. 12] still stands. Bottom line: this is not on our radar screen."

The statement on the 12th said this:

Quote from: same guy as above"Virginia Tech is exceedingly pleased with our membership in the ACC. It is the perfect conference for us. The university administration has no interest in any discussion concerning affiliation with any conference other than the ACC."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-vt-spokesman-calls-hokiestosec-buzz-poppycock-20110831,0,4697023.story?track=rss

And their AD said this previously:

Quote"We always wanted to be in the ACC," Weaver said. "Now we're there. Why would we want to go somewhere else when we finally have what we want?"

I just don't think they'll leave the ACC unless they absolutely have to.  They're good in a good conference.  Why potentially fuck things up for yourself?

Valmy

Ok then...wow that does complicate things.  The Big East would be the next logical conference to poach.  I guess West Virginia would indeed be the school.

All this depressing conference re-alignment and business stuff is getting me cynical...just like last year.  Watching Belmont Hall's balance sheet is not what I am a College Sports fan for.

So I watched the Michigan-Ohio State special on HBO and dammit seeing those old guys dressed up as Woody Hayes chanting 'Fuck Michigan' reminded me this is the best sport in the world.  :cry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

SEC is looking at ASU and Arizona.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

That would be hilarious if Arizona joined the League of Satans.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Oh Valmy did you see Connor Wood has transferred to Colorado?  Not really a big deal with how Ash and McCoy 2.0 have apparently been practicing and playing in the scrimmages, etc (and they also have that dude Brewer from Arizona coming in next year, unless he changes his mind), but he was a pretty sought after recruit. 

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 31, 2011, 10:13:24 PM
Oh Valmy did you see Connor Wood has transferred to Colorado?  Not really a big deal with how Ash and McCoy 2.0 have apparently been practicing and playing in the scrimmages, etc (and they also have that dude Brewer from Arizona coming in next year, unless he changes his mind), but he was a pretty sought after recruit. 

Very regrettable.  Gilbert basically got the job by default.  I thought each guy still had a shot :hmm:

We may come to regret that.

Valmy

ulmont

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 31, 2011, 10:08:20 PM
That would be hilarious if Arizona joined the League of Satans.  :P

You ain't kidding.   :lol:

Berkut

Arizona has the youngest offensive line of all 120 FBS teams.

People are smoking crack if they think they have a shot at a bowl game this year. I don't care how good Foles and Criner are (and they are really damn good), without an offensive line, this team is not going to break 5 wins, 6 at best.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 10:17:50 PM
Very regrettable.  Gilbert basically got the job by default.  I thought each guy still had a shot :hmm:

We may come to regret that.

Eh.  From what I understand, the three of them weren't really separating from each other, while Wood was having some issues and was behind all of them.  Anyway, I'm willing to give Gilbert another shot without Greg Davis there calling plays.  If he sucks, he sucks, but I want to see in a real game that doesn't start with two unblocked bubble screens for 3 yard losses each then some play with all the routes within 2 - 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.  Fuck Greg Davis.  He didn't have Vince Young or Colt McCoy to cover for him last year and it really showed.

Edit:  Thinking about it....who were the QB's under Greg Davis?  Applewhite, Simms, Young, McCoy, and Gilbert were the main ones.  Who else was there?  Chance Mock was in there somewhere, along with Jevan Snead.  Matt Nordgren doesn't count.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 31, 2011, 10:39:08 PM
Edit:  Thinking about it....who were the QB's under Greg Davis?  Applewhite, Simms, Young, McCoy, and Gilbert were the main ones.  Who else was there?  Mock was in there somewhere, along with Snead. 

Applewhite, Simms, Mock, Young, McCoy, Gilbert.  Snead never started a single game at Texas.  Say what you want about Coach Davis that dude could coach QBs.  Gilbert was the only one who was not a top performer...so long as Simms was not in a high pressure situation.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on August 31, 2011, 10:06:48 PM

Because when you think Arizona, you definitely think of the words 'south east'.  :wacko:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 10:44:43 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 31, 2011, 10:06:48 PM

Because when you think Arizona, you definitely think of the words 'south east'.  :wacko:

College Football is really going to suck if this conference shopping around keeps happening.  I mean the only reason we all get excited to watch subpar football compared to the NFL is the traditions and blah blah.  If they make it NFL-lite well screw that noise.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 10:44:43 PM

Katmai probably does.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?