Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 30, 2011, 11:46:17 AM
Also, i missed this one:

:lol:

That looks like Harakiri but I thought that was in B&W.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 30, 2011, 11:35:09 AM
If Georgia doesn't beat Boise State, I'm going to have to hear Boise State bullshit all year.

Bulldogs, do your duty.

I'm really glad I'm not a Boise State hater, 'cause I would hate to be counting on Georgia for anything.  They've been one of the most consistantly over-rated teams of the past 20 years or so.

I'm not saying that I'm rooting for Boise State, or that Georgia won't beat them, just that I'm glad I'm not in a position where I'm depending on the Bulldogs.

MadImmortalMan

They did an admirable job of wrecking the Hawaii hype before it got out of hand a few years ago.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 30, 2011, 03:24:54 PM
They did an admirable job of wrecking the Hawaii hype before it got out of hand a few years ago.

I don't think anybody thought Hawaii was a world beater.  Just that if you go unbeaten, and you are whatever the fuck they call Div I-A these days, you should be in a BCS game and have a chance to prove yourself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Wish I could have seen glimpses of that pass rush capability the following seasons. I guess they must have lost some players. Or it was just an illusion created by Hawaii's weak offensive line.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2011, 12:05:07 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 30, 2011, 11:52:48 AM
Bill from Sinton to Athens to fix the attitude problem Georgia fans have been displaying.

Bill in Sinton's objective take on the Rice game:

QuoteIt is time to get started. We start a new season with new coaches so as fans we must encourage our team to stay focus and beat Rice. We must be cautious and not take the Owls lightly. Remember they beat us when we were highly ranked in 1958 and cost us an NC with a tie in 1962 and beat us again in the 90s so we must be careful. Remember in 1965 they also beat us in AUSTIN. 
So we have our work cut out for us. Those that go to the game must be at their best support and really encourage our Horns and wear orange, be loud, come early and stay late. Even if by chance the game is one sided remember you are not just encouraging the Horns for this game but for the whole season. We must all work to ensure that last year's disaster isn't repeated. Those that can't go to the game watch on tv and if you can't keep up with it here and on the radio. This is a very critical game that we must not take lightly. The season is about to begin. I am going to be flying my UT auto flag in Sinton this week. Everyone work to keep the synergy going. You know what to do. Let's do it!
Go Horns!!

I missed Bill.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 30, 2011, 11:46:17 AM
Also, i missed this one:

:lol:
One's 2nd shouldn't finish you off if you're screaming like a little bitch, which is what it looks like he's doing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2011, 05:22:36 PM
One's 2nd shouldn't finish you off if you're screaming like a little bitch, which is what it looks like he's doing.
:huh:  What the fuck do you think the kaishakunin is there for?  To add tone to an unseemly mess?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Only fucking Timmy can ruin shit in his special, Aspie way.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 30, 2011, 05:39:58 PM
Only fucking Timmy can ruin shit in his special, Aspie way.
I don't really mind that he does it in the rest of Languish (except the Back Porch, obviously), but I with he'd stay out of the college football thread.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Tim's interpretation is the same as the one found in Shogun for what that's worth. The second was only supposed to give the mercy blow if the suicidee made his cuts in dignified silence.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

:nelson: Miami!

8 Players Suspended and 72 Subpoenas issued!
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/30/ncaa-rules-eight-hurricanes-must-sit-at-least-one-game/related/
QuoteAl Golden said earlier this week that he was hoping to hear from the NCAA by Thursday regarding the eligibility of a number of his football players.  Golden indeed got his wish, although it's likely not the answer he was hoping for.

The NCAA ruled Wednesday that eight Hurricane football players must sit at least one game this season.  The players had been declared ineligible by the school late last week.

The most recognizable name on the list of eight is quarterback Jacory Harris, who is one of five players who will be forced to sit out the opener.  The NCAA alleged that Harris received more than $140 in benefits from meals, entertainment, transportation and nightclub cover charges.

The stiffest sanctions were levied on defensive end Olivier Vernon, who will be forced to sit the first six games of the year.  The NCAA found that the lineman had received $1,200 in impermissible benefits during his recruitment from former UM booster and convicted felon Nevin Shapiro.  In their statement, the NCAA alleged that those recruitment benefits included meals, transportation, access to Shapiro's game suite, drinks, as well as cover charges at two different nightclubs, among others.

Safety Ray-Ray Armstrong and tight end Dyron Dye were each suspended for the first four games for impermissible benefits they received during their recruitment.  Armstrong received approximately $788 in extra benefits from Shapiro and athletics personnel during his recruitment. Dye received approximately $738. These  benefits for both players included five nights of impermissible lodging from institutional staff during their unofficial visits, transportation, multiple meals, and entertainment at a gentleman's club.

Defensive lineman Marcus Forston, linebacker Sean Spence, defensive lineman Adewale Ojomo and wide receiver Travis Benjamin were each suspended for one game apiece.  From the release:

Forston received more than $400 in extra benefits from Shapiro and athletic personnel, including athletic equipment, meals, nightclub cover charges and entertainment at a gentleman's club. Spence received approximately $275 in benefits, including meals, transportation, as well as cover charges and entertainment at a gentleman's club. Ojomo received $240 in extra benefits, including a meal and nightclub cover charges. Benjamin received more than $150 in extra benefits, including meals and entertainment.

All of the players must make restitution as a condition of their reinstatement.

Harris, Vernon, Armstrong, Forston, Spence, Ojomo and Benjamin were all listed as starters or co-starters on the Hurricanes' most recent depth chart.  All seven will miss at least the opener Monday against Maryland.

"The NCAA has informed the University of Miami of their decisions regarding the reinstatement of eight student-athletes who were declared ineligible by the University last week," Miami athletics director Shawn Eichorst said in a statement. "The student-athletes involved have acknowledged receiving improper benefits and will now be responsible for restitution and, in some cases, the student-athletes will also serve game suspensions. They understand that their actions demand consequences.

"This university has the highest standards in all of our academic and athletic endeavors.  We will remain steadfast in our commitment to continue to build winning programs with the utmost of integrity.  We will be more vigilant in our compliance and continue to work with the NCAA on the joint investigation to determine the facts.

"We appreciate the diligence and understanding of the NCAA staff and its handling of the student-athlete eligibility issues in an expeditious manner. I would also like to thank Coach [Al] Golden and his staff for their professionalism and leadership over the past few weeks."

It should be noted that the NCAA's decision on the player's eligibility is separate from their broader investigation into the allegations levied against Miami's football program and any sanctions that could be slapped on the school.

In the school's release on the development, it was noted that Brandon McGee, JoJo Nicholas, Micanor Regis and Vaughn Telemaque "have been cleared by the NCAA to participate in all competition though each must make repayment in the amount of less than $100 for receiving impermissible benefits", as well as Marcus Robinson being cleared of any NCAA violations and will not face any penalties.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/30/hurricanes-mentioned-in-shapiro-allegations-to-receive-subpoenas/#comments

QuoteThe Miami Herald reports this morning that all 72 players mentioned in the Shapiro allegations will be handed subpoenas (pictured — now in 3D!) from bankruptcy trustee Joel Tabas seeking to regain any benefits of "real monetary value". Values for the alleged benefits have included items as small as a free meal or two to a $50,000 lump sum to former defensive tackle Vince Wilfork.

Tabas' attorney, Gary Freedman, explained:

"They can't ignore it — it's a subpoena issued by a bankruptcy court. If they ignore it, we will seek an order from the court to compel them to respond. If they don't respond, they will face a contempt order.

"[We're] requesting any documents with any gifts or benefits that they received. I am asking them to fill out an affidavit. If an athlete gives misinformation, it would be considered perjury.

"We have books and records that show some of the transfers. Some are not easily traceable. Our records reflect what Shapiro has indicated to Yahoo! I have no reason to doubt what Nevin has been saying. We have done our due diligence."

So far, none of the accused have reportedly initiated conversations with Freedman about returning the monetary value of the alleged gifts. If anyone issued a subpoena fails to cooperate, they could be brought into custody, although Freedman is hopeful that won't be the case.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Really?  A few players have to sit one game and that is gloat worthy?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Dude...what is up with the ugly helmet variations?

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 04:11:50 PM
Dude...what is up with the ugly helmet variations?

Wyoming sold their soul on the altar of Nike, and while the traditional ugly colors remain, the design shows that the program has been tainted.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM