News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2012, 05:16:43 PM
I just wanted to second Valmy's point.  The performance of non-BCS schools in BCS games hardly leads to the conclusion they'd be embarassed.

In fact, it rather suggests that they would do the embarassing.

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2012, 04:50:04 PM
Why do you think this?  TCU, Utah, and Boise State all beat their major school opponents.  Where is the evidence to suggest they would be embarrassed?  Besides that so what?  Clemson got embarrassed and nobody is demanding the ACC be protected from embarrasment by keeping them out of bowl games against West Virginia.

Utah is a fine member of a BCS conference, thank you very much.

MadBurgerMaker

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on January 11, 2012, 05:25:32 PM
In fact, it rather suggests that they would do the embarassing.

That's largely due to the expectations game. I mean, Oklahoma was "embarrassed" a few years back when they lost to Boise St in OT.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

As well they should have been.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on January 11, 2012, 08:08:34 PM
Utah is a fine member of a BCS conference, thank you very much.

And so are TCU and Boise State (well...sorta) that is why I specified the TCU, Utah and Boise State of the next generation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Boise State can go jump in a lake.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Boise State is a bunch of eastern fucks now.

The Big East can eat a platter of hot death.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

This is rather surprising.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ncaa-bcsplayoff
NCAA president supports 4-team football playoff

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—NCAA President Mark Emmert would support a four-team playoff in college football—as long as the field doesn't grow.

After giving his annual state of the association speech Thursday in Indianapolis, Emmert acknowledged he would back a small playoff if that's what Bowl Championship Series officials decide to adopt.

"The notion of having a Final Four approach is probably a sound one," Emmert said when asked what he heard coming out of New Orleans this week. "Moving toward a 16-team playoff is highly problematic because I think that's too much to ask a young man's body to do. It's too many games, it intrudes into the school year and, of course, it would probably necessitate a complete end to the bowl system that so many people like now."

Emmert spoke two days after the 11 Bowl Championship Series conferences met to discuss possible changes to the system starting in 2014, but there is no consensus yet.

BCS Executive Director Bill Hancock said Tuesday that 50-60 possibilities for various changes were presented during a deliberate meeting in New Orleans, where Alabama beat LSU in the BCS title game Monday night. Hancock anticipates it will take another five to seven meetings to reach a conclusion in July.

One possibility is the four-team playoff, or the so-called plus-one approach, that would create two national semifinals and a championship game played one week later. The original proposal, made in 2008 by the commissioners of the Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference, was emphatically shot down by the leaders of the Big Ten, Pac-10, Big East, Big 12 and Notre Dame.

The BCS title game pits the nation's top two teams based on poll and computer rankings.

But momentum is clearly growing for a larger playoff system.

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany acknowledged this week that he would now consider the prospect of a four-team field.

"Four years ago, five of us didn't want to have the conversation," Delany told reporters earlier this week. "Now we all want to have the conversation."

Then on Thursday, the BCS picked up another major endorsement for a potential playoff.

Emmert has long said he expected changes to the BCS system and has repeatedly offered to help the BCS debate if they want it. The NCAA licenses bowl games, but does not run them. It also has no direct authority over the BCS system.

But a small, four-team tournament could be the perfect remedy for what many still consider a flawed system.

"I see a lot of ways that a Final Four model could be successful," Emmert said.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on January 13, 2012, 07:19:51 PM
This is rather surprising.

Well...there is the fact if there is a playoff the NCAA could take control of it like Basketball and make tons of money...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Oregon QB Darron Thomas has declared for the NFL draft.  This is really surprising to me, I never even considered he may leave.  It sounds like he will be lucky to be drafted at all.

sbr

Cbs reports Joe paterno is "near death".

sbr

OttoVonBismarck

I love all the outpouring of grief I'm seeing from people I know.

I won't be getting on that train. Paterno was known as being a world class asshole to most people who actually followed college football in the 70s and 80s, he may have mellowed out as he drifted off into senility, but Paterno was never really a class act. The whole Sandusky scandal I almost don't care so much about, it shows he cared more about his football team's image than little boys getting raped in his showers, but that's really just indicative of what college football is. I don't doubt that almost any coach in D-IA would have done the same as Paterno in that situation, college football views itself as bigger than life, and bigger than right and wrong. Paterno got caught and deserved to be fired even if you believe the least-damaging accounts of what he knew and how he responded, but to me the bigger thing about Paterno is he was no more than an old football coach who was a world class jerk in his earlier years.

I'm not really too moved by any of his charity work, all rich people pretty much give some money to charity and it doesn't automatically elevate them to sainthood in my mind.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.