News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 11, 2013, 09:35:34 PM
He's an intelligent, ambitious man who's not negotiating from a position of strength. Of course he's a weasel.

Against parties who obviously always play by the rules, no less.

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2013, 09:13:21 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2013, 09:11:05 PM
Yep. I like Silence of Lambs, but absolutely love Manhunter. So the series appeals given that it's about Graham and Lecter.

I refuse to watch that ungodly remake.

Red Dragon? Really? Manhunter was OK, but it's really a product of the 80s. I don't think it held up as well. I like Red Dragon.I didn't mind Hannibal, either, but I agree that by this point, Hannibal was becoming a parody of itself,  and Hannibal Rising was a god awful mess.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on April 11, 2013, 09:04:11 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 11, 2013, 08:51:52 PM
'Enemy of the State' worth watching ?

I gave up on 'Diary of a Teenage Drama Queen' in around 3 minutes.

It's a decent thriller;  I recall being entertained.  Low B.

Yeah, it was this or a C+, both you, CdM and 11B4V called it right.  :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2013, 05:52:30 PM
Why are we getting another Riddick film? Ugh.
I liked the first one where they crash on that planet where monsters come out during the eclipse. What was the 2nd about?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 11, 2013, 09:21:29 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 11, 2013, 09:04:52 PM
I haven't seen Mad Men, but I have seen Breaking Bad, so I disagree.

Yeah, I'd probably rate Mad Men down at #3 among AMC dramas. Best eye candy though.
You better fucking mean Rubicon. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2013, 07:23:40 PM
I love Mads Mikkelsen.

My favorite movie with him remains Adam's Apples.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Yep. I like Silence of Lambs, but absolutely love Manhunter. So the series appeals given that it's about Graham and Lecter.
Michael Mann is a personal favorite, but Silence is one of the best movies of the 90s.  William Petersen doesn't have Jodie Foster's chops, and I'd pretty gladly trade High 80s style for Demme's strangely intimate touch. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on April 11, 2013, 11:43:17 PM
You better fucking mean Rubicon.

1- Breaking Bad
2- Walking Dead
3- Mad Men
4/5- The Killing, Hell on Wheels
Got Bored and quit after a couple episodes- Rubicon
Awful, but would still watch before their reality offerings- The Prisoner
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

There is no way on earth we are watching the same The Walking Dead.  The plot holes alone would place it below Mad Men.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2013, 12:06:27 AM

Duck Dynasty.  One episode.  You'll love it.

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2013, 11:41:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2013, 05:52:30 PM
Why are we getting another Riddick film? Ugh.
I liked the first one where they crash on that planet where monsters come out during the eclipse. What was the 2nd about?

Pitch Black. Dumb. VD is a fifty percenter.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2013, 12:18:17 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2013, 12:06:27 AM

Duck Dynasty.  One episode.  You'll love it.

It rules.
and the horse you rode in on

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2013, 09:22:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2013, 09:13:21 PM

I refuse to watch that ungodly remake.
Manhunter's the original (Brian Cox and William Petersen from To Live and Die in LA). Red Dragon's the remake and I agree.

Fixed your post. :)
I'll never understand how it took so long for him to break.

Josquius

Quote from: fahdiz on April 11, 2013, 09:28:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2013, 09:26:57 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 11, 2013, 09:20:40 PM
The only real problem with Breaking Bad is that Walt's lost all bid for sympathy. At the beginning, you could root for the guy, even though you could see a lot of his flaws - hubris, etc - but now he's just a piece of shit, and I just keep hoping someone will whack him.

His transition from Walter White to Heisenberg is not supposed to be a necessarily sympathetic transition of character.  Tony Soprano wasn't.  Of course, you didn't have to witness Soprano's transition, as he was already there, already in the Bad Guy Zone.

Naturally, you would have a problem with that.  It's an element of your fahdizness.

My problem with Walter isn't that he's "bad". It's that he's a weasel.

hmm....kind of agree. I loved him when he first did the Heisenberg thing in an early series and took out the small time dealers. Now though....
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Syt on April 11, 2013, 11:47:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2013, 07:23:40 PM
I love Mads Mikkelsen.

My favorite movie with him remains Adam's Apples.

This is true. The one of Anders Thomas Jensen's early 2000-movies that has aged the best.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk