News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: CdMAlthough, for some reason, Jesse occasionally reminds me of you sometimes, which is probably why I would've whacked him myself in Season 2.

I don't think that's accurate.  I would've picked up the advanced cooking skills much quicker, and since I'd have gotten along with Gus just fine, you'd probably be dead, your last words probably complaints about our meth organization's shareholder value.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Editing your original post is so Jesse.

fhdz

The only real problem with Breaking Bad is that Walt's lost all bid for sympathy. At the beginning, you could root for the guy, even though you could see a lot of his flaws - hubris, etc - but now he's just a piece of shit, and I just keep hoping someone will whack him.

I was rooting so hard for Mike to whack him, in fact, that I shocked myself by how visceral my reaction was.

As a matter of fact, Mike's the best and most sympathetic character in BB. Period.
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on April 11, 2013, 09:04:52 PM
I haven't seen Mad Men, but I have seen Breaking Bad, so I disagree.

Yeah, I'd probably rate Mad Men down at #3 among AMC dramas. Best eye candy though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

And can we for once NOT have an Asian chick in forensics/criminal science/police technology?  Please?

You'd think the American Society For Asian Chick Professionalism would have a problem with that already.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2013, 09:13:21 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2013, 09:11:05 PM
Yep. I like Silence of Lambs, but absolutely love Manhunter. So the series appeals given that it's about Graham and Lecter.

I refuse to watch that ungodly remake.
Manhunter's the original (Brian Cox and the guy from CSI). Red Dragon's the remake and I agree.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on April 11, 2013, 09:20:40 PM
The only real problem with Breaking Bad is that Walt's lost all bid for sympathy. At the beginning, you could root for the guy, even though you could see a lot of his flaws - hubris, etc - but now he's just a piece of shit, and I just keep hoping someone will whack him.

His transition from Walter White to Heisenberg is not supposed to be a necessarily sympathetic transition of character.  Tony Soprano wasn't.  Of course, you didn't have to witness Soprano's transition, as he was already there, already in the Bad Guy Zone.

Naturally, you would have a problem with that.  It's an element of your fahdizness.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2013, 09:26:57 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 11, 2013, 09:20:40 PM

His transition from Walter White to Heisenberg is not supposed to be a necessarily sympathetic transition of character.  Tony Soprano wasn't.  Of course, you didn't have to witness Soprano's transition, as he was already there, already in the Bad Guy Zone.

Naturally, you would have a problem with that.  It's an element of your fahdizness.

My problem with Walter isn't that he's "bad". It's that he's a weasel.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on April 11, 2013, 09:28:04 PM

I disagree.  He's forced into learning on a severe curve.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2013, 09:30:00 PM

He also has a self-destructive quality that Tony Soprano doesn't. If there exists a way to make the fucking situation worse, Walt will find it.

Eddie Teach

He's an intelligent, ambitious man who's not negotiating from a position of strength. Of course he's a weasel.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2013, 09:22:34 PM
Yep. I like Silence of Lambs, but absolutely love Manhunter. So the series appeals given that it's about Graham and Lecter.

Manhunter's the original (Brian Cox and the guy from CSI). Red Dragon's the remake and I agree.

Manhunter also has the High Museum of Art (in Atlanta) as the prison where Lecter is kept.

Sheilbh

Quote from: ulmont on April 11, 2013, 09:35:52 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2013, 09:22:34 PM

Manhunter also has the High Museum of Art (in Atlanta) as the prison where Lecter is kept.
:o I LOVE that building.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on April 11, 2013, 09:33:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2013, 09:30:00 PM

He also has a self-destructive quality that Tony Soprano doesn't. If there exists a way to make the fucking situation worse, Walt will find it.

:lol:  He does have a habit of zigging when he should be zagging sometimes, but it's not on purpose; like I said, he's finding his way through obstacles the hard way.

So you're relatively correct on the latter, but not the former.  Tony most definitely had his own sort of self-destructive qualities.