News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I watched Behind the Curve a movie about flat-Earthers.  You're not suppose to make fun of them, but damn are they stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2024, 12:46:23 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2024, 11:29:53 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2024, 11:19:15 AMEurotrip was good. The pinacle of American teen comedies.

Damning with faint praise, again.  :P

:o

There are some amazing teen comedies out there.

Superbad
American Pie
Porky's (never seen it so no idea if it stands up, but it was infamous in it's day)
Animal House
Breakfast Club

just off the top of my head.  Superbad and Animal House being particular favourites of mine.  Hell, I should watch Superbad again (I was in a fraternity, I've watched Animal House numerous times).

"Better Off Dead" is my favorite.  :sleep:

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2024, 06:09:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2024, 05:55:22 PMI do what I want. :blurgh:

Other than the "no parents" part, every single aspect can apply to a college-aged movie.  Let's take Animal House.  Lots of hijinks around sex.  Instead of senior prom there was homecoming.  Jocks and cheerleaders definitely dominated the social scene.  There was an iconic cafeteria scene.  Maybe not cutting class but comments about grades.  I don't think there was an exchange student in Animal House, but definitely in other college movies.

It's the same genre in a very slightly different setting.

I said sneaking around for sex.  You're absolutely wrong on jocks in Animal House.  For one thing I don't think one character plays college sports.  The insiders aren't jocks, they're do gooders, ROTC, straight laced, Republicans.  For another we see Animal House throwing an absolute blow out house party that all the hot chicks come to.  There is no establishment equivalent.  There is a cafeteria scene but it's not about bullying.  The point of cafeteria scenes in high school scenes is so bullying can have an audience to amplify the shame.

OK - sneaking around for sex.  Do you recall Bluto (Belushi) spying on the sorority girls from his ladder?  Or Pinto trying to hook up with the supermarket girl (who turned out to be 13)?

You're right - substitute ROTC for sports.  But so what - it's still the same genre!

Bullying - recall Niedermeyer bullying Flounder during his ROTC training.  Otter and Boone going - "he can't treat our pledges like that.  Right!  Only we can treat our pledges like that!".

It's the same genre.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2024, 05:51:50 PMRecent female teen film: Bottoms. :wub:
Oooo! That reminds me I still need to watch that!  :hug:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2024, 08:43:55 PMI watched Behind the Curve a movie about flat-Earthers.  You're not suppose to make fun of them, but damn are they stupid.

Why the prohibition on making fun of them?

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2024, 11:45:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2024, 08:43:55 PMI watched Behind the Curve a movie about flat-Earthers.  You're not suppose to make fun of them, but damn are they stupid.

That's what the scientists in the film said.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

I'll say I mentioned American teen comedies as its basically its own genre...
But if we're broadening it out then the Inbetweeners films definitely count as greats.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2024, 11:54:48 PM

Did they say why?

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2024, 07:28:49 AM

Did they say why?

Alienates them, lacks empathy.

Darth Wagtaros

Stupid? No, they aren't sheep who close their eyes to the truth like the rest of us. 
PDH!

Josephus

Private School was a good teen comedy too. And a nice shower scene as well.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2024, 07:46:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2024, 07:28:49 AM

Did they say why?

Alienates them, lacks empathy.

Why be concerned about alienating or lacking empathy for someone who is literally a flat earther?  Shouldn't scientists be ridiculing that sort of nonsense?

Tamas

Indeed ridicule and exclusion has been too underused in containing the spread of all this various drivel.

garbon

It is the stance of the director
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behind_the_Curve

QuoteWhen director Clark was asked in an interview about lessons from the film he said, "My dream would be that when people watch it, they take flat Eartherism as an analogy to something they believe in, because it's so easy to demonize another group or another person for something they think but you're kind of just as guilty if you do that."

Odd but it is what it is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I mean I can see the damn curvature of the earth. And more than that, things like time zones exist.

It is hard not to have contempt and suspicion for a group that demands you reject what is obvious right there in front of you.

Do I maybe believe weird shit? Maybe. I don't think I do but maybe I do. Maybe there are things I can see with my own eyes but I don't believe are real for some reason. But I am not out there making propaganda videos and books and trying to brainwash people to believe my dumb shit either. That is why I hate flat earthers so much. Can they believe stupid garbage? Sure. But once you become evangelical about something, you lose the right to do so without resistance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."