News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on September 14, 2014, 04:11:17 PM
I don't think they are edited. I was watching something with a very surprising amount of nudity on an airplane once...

It's not actually regulated, so it depends on the airline. United does, for example.

Josephus

The Knick. Likin this more and more...but I notice as I get older I'm getting more squeamish. I find I'm seeing the surgery scenes through my fingers a lot.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Watched the dvd of the 'London Olympics Opening Ceremony'. It's stands on it's own surprisingly well. :bowler:

Also 'Alan Partridge - Alpha Papa' which was very good, a few genuine laugh out loud moments. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

This week:

The Congress (2014).  A Niccolesque hybrid of live action and animation that is also a hybrid of excellence and crap, and I'm always very confused about how to grade these.  B

S2m0ne

This Island Earth (1955).  In the aggregate, the science fiction mediocrity for all time.  C+

Cardboard Science: The dumbest man to ever walk the Earth

Tarantula (1955).  GODDAM SPIDER (it's good).  B+

Cardboard Science: Still fearing the spider

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957).  The single best science fiction film of the 1950s may even be the single best film of the 1950s, period, and one of the most emotionally resonant motion pictures in the medium's history.  Plus: the return of Tamara the Tarantula, because that's the kind of thing you'd expect in a movie billed as the "best" anything.  A+

Cardboard Science: There is no zero
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Glad you liked The Incredible Shrinking Man - it's a great film. Matheson had a gift for mixing genre pulp with existential resonance. And yes, Arnold does a great job. The film could easily fall on its arse given the multitude of trick shots.

Ideologue

:hug:

Agree completely.  And Clifford Stine's a somewhat unsung hero of photographic effects.

I wonder if the Lily Tomlin movie quasi-remake/quasi-spoof is any good. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on September 15, 2014, 08:59:16 AM

Agree completely.  And Clifford Stine's a somewhat unsung hero of photographic effects.

It's marginally better than Honey I Shrunk the Kids. So yeah, it's not good.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 15, 2014, 08:59:16 AM

Ugh, 1983 HBO repeats ad naseaum flashbacks :bleeding:

The Brain

Rewatched the Alien movies in order (not a marathon).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Movie pride mere for Pride. Last minute so I know gay and some minor celebs here but that's all I know.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2014, 12:39:51 PM
Dunno about the French Quebecois film, never heard of it.
It's about Geneviève Jeanson, a famous cyclist whom, like many others, used illegal performance drugs.
Technically, it's about a fictionnal character and a few things were changed to avoid any legal troubles.
It's supposed to be good, but I haven't seen it yet.  The only thing I know is this is not a movie for Berkut, he couldn't appreciate the personal struggle of a non american, so he'd better watch X-Men, they're all native english speakers with day-to-day problems that could mirror america's political history.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2014, 07:25:36 PM
Saw Blue Velvet again.

I always get Blue Velvet confused with National Velvet.  Come to think of it, the image of Dennis Hopper chewing on a teen Liz Taylor's clothes says a lot more about me than I want to know. 

garbon

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2014, 06:46:35 PM
Movie pride mere for Pride. Last minute so I know gay and some minor celebs here but that's all I know.

That was actually fairly fun. Welsh miners, Thatcher & Gays. Story of gays who raised money to support Welsh mining town. Always love some Bill Nighy and Dominic West.  Russell Tovey cameo was rather unnecessary and I guess considered so as I don't even see him listed in cast on IMDB.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.