News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Black Sails.
disapointing.  I was expecting as good as Spartacus, but there's just no enough suspense.  The actors are all great, I can't see a weaker link there, but the script left something to be desired.  Can't put my finger on it.  Ah, of course, some of the accents are a little hard to the non-initiated.  I'm always having trouble understanding the Charles Vane character, though I guess he was made like this.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2014, 11:32:06 AM
http://www.sporcle.com/games/paultoes/100_best_scifi

Something for Ide. A quiz with screen grabs from sci-fi movies, you name the film.

94/100.

I feel like a tool for missing La Jetee and Dark Star.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on September 16, 2014, 07:03:26 PM
96 - there's several I could guess from the clues in the captions rather than the still itself.

Missed:

- Fantastic Planet
- American Astronaut
- Je t'aime
- World on a Wire

WTF.  Aren't you European?

I also missed The Damned, Je T'Aime Je T'Aime, Quatermass and the Pit, and, like you, American Astronaut--a film I've never ever heard of that somehow came out when I was 18. :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

74/100

stuff I should have gotten but didn't, the original solaris and silent running.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2014, 04:30:43 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 16, 2014, 07:03:26 PM
96 - there's several I could guess from the clues in the captions rather than the still itself.

Missed:

- Fantastic Planet
- American Astronaut
- Je t'aime
- World on a Wire

WTF.  Aren't you European?

I also missed The Damned, Je T'Aime Je T'Aime, Quatermass and the Pit, and, like you, American Astronaut--a film I've never ever heard of that somehow came out when I was 18. :unsure:

I guessed plenty of Euro films too! I have heard of World on a Wire, but not watched it - which is puzzling since I'm both a sci-fi and a Fassbinder fan.

The first Quatermass was one of the scariest films I watched when I was a kid. I'm a big fan of the series. Actually I believe Quatermass and the Pit is the worst of the films, but it's still good.

Duque de Bragança

Missed Je t'aime as well, unlike Die Welt am Draht/Le Monde sur un fil/World on a Wire which happened to get an early release on blu-ray in France by a small, dedicated label.

Ideologue

It's on BD in Region 1 areas too, by Criterion. :)

It's a little messy, though, like too long by about thirty, forty minutes--it probably played better in its original bifurcated form.  Really good though, and between that and his Dirk Bogarde collaboration, Fassbinder is on my list of European directors to make an effort to educate myself on.  That's the same list that Werner Herzog and Jean-Luc Godard kind of slid right off of, possibly because I chose very poor first movies to sample.
Kinemalogue

Duque de Bragança

I know, the region A Criterion came later, as you can see in the updated comparison site there

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/world_on_a_wire_blu-ray.htm
I can play region-A blu-rays too but I didn't have to wait.  :smarty:

Syt

Watched the first episode of Modern Family. It was ok, with a few laughs, but not great. Does the series pick up in its course?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2014, 03:54:55 AM
Watched the first episode of Modern Family. It was ok, with a few laughs, but not great. Does the series pick up in its course?

I would say so. It is not "Curb Your Enthusiasm" funny but pretty good. And, what's important too, it has not jumped the shark to date.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2014, 03:54:55 AM

Yes, it improves a lot and the cast develops some great chemistry together. Some of the storylines are slightly on the mushy side, but it's dealable.

celedhring

I have a problem with Modern Family, in that I understand that it's great and very clever, but for some reason it doesn't make me *laugh*.

The Larch

I don't think it's exactly a "laugh out loud" kind of show.

Syt

Well, the mockumentary style reminded me more of the US version of The Office (which was pretty decent for the first few seasons).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

The Darjeeling Limited. A pleasant movie, though not particularly funny or exciting or dramatic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?