News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 18, 2014, 11:32:31 AM
The Darjeeling Limited. A pleasant movie, though not particularly funny or exciting or dramatic.

Yup.  Nice vibe, nothing happens.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on September 18, 2014, 06:31:25 AM
I have a problem with Modern Family, in that I understand that it's great and very clever, but for some reason it doesn't make me *laugh*.

I actually did laugh out loud a few times on the show. I may be partial as it has a cool gay couple though.

Syt

I found the gay couple pretty funny. And Ed O'Neil, naturally.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Modern Family- Gays=good, old guy/hot woman=good, normal family with a zany dad=meh.
Though the young daughter has teh boobage. Illegal boobage.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Don't get me wrong, I like the show and I think it's good. It's just that I appreciate it more "intellectually", rather than because it makes me laugh.

CountDeMoney

The Darjeeling Limited. A pleasant movie, though not particularly funny or exciting or dramatic.

By far Wes Anderson's weakest film.  Ide probably gave it a B+.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt link=topic= 4507.msg782552#msg782552 date=1411041074
Well, the mockumentary style reminded me more of the US version of The Office (which was pretty decent for the first few seasons).

That technique is so embedded in our TV consciousness now, it took me about half a season to notice it in Parks and Recreation.

I miss Scrubs.:(

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on September 18, 2014, 12:30:41 PM
Modern Family- Gays=good, old guy/hot woman=good, normal family with a zany dad=meh.

She put on some weight and I guess also developed a bit.  The much cuter daughter is legal, though Sofia Vergara ehm, stands out the most by far. 

Excellent show, but I fear they're starting to tinker with it a bit much.  The episode where the younger daughter went to a shrink was a bit out of place-- a bit too serious.  Plus they overhyped and oversentimentalized the wedding thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2014, 01:14:58 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 18, 2014, 12:30:41 PM

She put on some weight and I guess also developed a bit.  The much cuter daughter is legal, though Sofia Vergara ehm, stands out the most by far. 

Excellent show, but I fear they're starting to tinker with it a bit much.  The episode where the younger daughter went to a shrink was a bit out of place-- a bit too serious.  Plus they overhyped and oversentimentalized the wedding thing.

I think the wedding episode(s) were mainly political fan service. Not that I am complaining but I think they just thought they have to make it perfect to show where they stand on the issue.

The thing I like about the show is that it is so well-meaning and good natured - something rare in this cynical age but it invokes (but translates into modern times) the kind of feeling we had when watching all those family shows in the 1980s.

The show has the capacity to genuinely move me, which is rare. 

Martinus

Al Bundy is my favourite character on the show by the way.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on September 18, 2014, 12:30:41 PMThough the young daughter has teh boobage. Illegal boobage.

The writers must soon have to change the schtick of her character, as it makes little sense to keep her as the "smart girl who can't get boys to be interested in her" when she actually looks like this:

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2014, 12:42:26 PM

By far Wes Anderson's weakest film.  Ide probably gave it a B+.

I very certainly didn't.  I'm going to rewatch it, but my recollection from five or six years ago is that it is outrageously dull crap.

Bottle Rocket sucks too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2014, 12:45:33 PM
That technique is so embedded in our TV consciousness now, it took me about half a season to notice it in Parks and Recreation.
Indeed. I think an old fashioned studio audience comedy would now be as shocking as The Office was when it started.
Let's bomb Russia!