News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2014, 02:44:09 AM
I don't get the Mars Attack! hate.  It was a decent movie.  Some good gags.

I thought it was fun.  Saw it at the theater.  It was sort of like darkly satirical Warner's Brother's cartoon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Got A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum today. :punk:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Thor 2- remember the first Thor movie? Those flashes of brilliance with Thor learning the ways of our world, the decent more conventional super hero movie moments on our planet and the really crappy and completely unentertaining science fantasy bits on Asgard?
Wouldn't it be great if the sequel learned from the first one and highlighted the parts that worked so well whilst keeping the less successful bits under wraps?
Wouldn't it be great?
Wouldn't it?

... What do you mean they've done totally the opposite in the second film?
Mediocre at best. Not good.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Against this forum's advice, I watched Hangover 2. It's the same movie as the first one, just with a SE Asia theme and a monkey instead of a tiger. Every plot point seems to be the same, pretty damn lazy.

I was also disappointed that[spoiler] Stu wasn't marrying Heather Graham's character from the first film.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 09, 2014, 06:34:02 PM
Against this forum's advice, I watched Hangover 2. It's the same movie as the first one, just with a SE Asia theme and a monkey instead of a tiger. Every plot point seems to be the same, pretty damn lazy.

I was also disappointed that[spoiler] Stu wasn't marrying Heather Graham's character from the first film.[/spoiler]

Good, you've learned your lesson.  Now go watch The Edge of Tomorrow.

celedhring

I'm waiting for the BR release!

Savonarola

Beau Brummel (1924)

The great John Barrymore portrays the regency dandy Beau Brummell in this lavish Warner Brother's period piece.  (Unfortunately the Netflix copy is an awful Televista public domain print; so the production values are almost entirely lost.)  Barrymore is almost a one man show here portraying Beau from his rise in London society to his bitter end in the hospital of the Bon Saveur in Caen.

During filming John Barrymore began one of his most passionate love affairs, Tanqueray.  Just kidding, actually it was with his seventeen year old leading lady, Mary Astor.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2014, 04:04:34 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2014, 03:57:36 PM
Indeed, Melville.  It arrived a few days ago. :)  Hopefully this disc won't be broken like Le Samourai. :grr:

I thought I was supposed to be getting Night of the Hunter though.  I was really looking forward to seeing it this weekend.

Heh, I was thinking of watching Night of the Hunter the other day, until my wife remined me that the kid was still up and might see part of it, should he wander by.

Having a nearly 9 year old kid is a trifle awkward on movie watching. They are old enough to be interested in mystery and horror movies you might like, yet young enough to be traumatized by watching them: "Oh, can't play Night of the Hunter - too scary - certainly not The Changeling - and here's a copy of Come and See - no, can't play that ... "  ;)
Oh my God we're getting old! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

The Leftovers.

Strange...but intersting at the same time. Kinda like a car wreck.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

The Taking of Pelham 123 is on TV, but I quit after 30 mins. Sloppy writing got to me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on September 11, 2014, 02:38:20 PM
The Taking of Pelham 123 is on TV, but I quit after 30 mins. Sloppy writing got to me.

The original or the Travolta remake? I think the old one is quite decent.

mongers

Question for Seigy:

Is 'Transcendence' worth a viewing?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Darth Wagtaros

New season of Trailer Park Boys.  Funny.

I liked Mars Attacks!  What was wrong with it?
PDH!

Ideologue

Not that funny, little dull, does have its moments, though if they're in the last thirty, I wouldn't remember them too well, since I fell asleep.

@Cel: you know, other than some clips, I think it turns out I never did watch The Incredible Shrinking Man.  That movie is fucking amazing.  It's also just about the perfect movie to watch for the first time right before your 32d birthday. :bleeding:
Kinemalogue