News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2014, 01:04:50 PM
The downtrodden negro showing up his hillbilly oppressors isn't a much fresher one than pretty boy with authority issues learns the meaning of responsibility.

Pretty boy with authority issues describes about 70% of all action movies.  Also I didn't suggest "negro shows up hillbilly oppressors", but man fights for adopted country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

About ready to give up on the Blacklist. This week's episode was all kinds of retarded.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2014, 07:10:14 PM
Pretty boy with authority issues describes about 70% of all action movies.  Also I didn't suggest "negro shows up hillbilly oppressors", but man fights for adopted country.

Then where's the story arc?  Black guy shows up, trains, flies, shoots, the end.

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 19, 2014, 07:10:41 PM
About ready to give up on the Blacklist. This week's episode was all kinds of retarded.
that was me after three episodes :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2014, 07:21:33 PM

Then where's the story arc?  Black guy shows up, trains, flies, shoots, the end.

The interesting part comes before the "shows up". Deciding to fight for another country, in a war across the ocean (this happens before the US entered WWI), as a way to conquer a shadow of equality is a decent yarn. Particularly since I'm sure he faced plenty of obstacles both at home and in France. You can still get the flying and shooting part in the last 45-60 min.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on March 19, 2014, 07:41:51 PM
The interesting part comes before the "shows up". Deciding to fight for another country, in a war across the ocean (this happens before the US entered WWI), as a way to conquer a shadow of equality is a decent yarn. Particularly since I'm sure he faced plenty of obstacles both at home and in France. You can still get the flying and shooting part in the last 45-60 min.

Ah, a European movie, with no ending.  :P

Or is it only French movies that don't have endings?

celedhring

To add insult to injury I would obviously piss off audiences by finishing the film in the moment he first starts up his plane's engine. Fret not something exciting happened.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2014, 07:21:33 PM

A story arc that has worked for many war films.  The guy who the character was based on actually fought in the trenches first, then became a pilot.  After the war he owned a night club in France which he lost during WWII (he signed up to fight for France then as well).  After losing the war he ended up back in the US where nobody cared about his fame and exploits and he died in obscure poverty working as an elevator operator.

How many films can you think of where a man Escapes the tyranny of his country to be free in another and that tyranny he escapes is American tyranny?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

I must not have seen the same war movies as you Razz.

garbon

Quote from: katmai on March 19, 2014, 07:34:11 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 19, 2014, 07:10:41 PM
was all kinds of retarded.
that was me after three episodes :P

Lesbihonest, that was you before any episodes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2014, 08:36:31 PM
I must not have seen the same war movies as you Razz.

Never saw Heartbreak Ridge or Full Metal Jacket?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

I watched all 12 episodes of that Flemish show. It was crap <_<

I was particularly enraged by several costume decisions such as one of the leading villains, and Belgium's National Security Adviser (this wasn't a joke, apparently), only wore two outfits. One was a black, seemingly PVC suit, with a black shirt and a black tie. The other was a white, I'm guessing satin suit, white shirt and white tie.

At one point another villain's suit still had the label on. It was from C&A. He was a multi-millionaire banker.

Anyway, I've moved onto series 2 of Line of Duty. This is outstanding. I rarely recommend British TV to foreigners but I would this. Keeley Hawes is putting in a magnificent performance. Two episodes in she's either my hero or a sociopathic criminal genius.

Brilliantly acted, written and paced - they keep tension incredibly well and it's not done in a repetitive way (yet). It initially annoyed me but I'm growing to love the any-town setting and force.

Very, very good.

Edit: Although one scene infuriated me.

Also looking forward to Inspector De Luca which replaces that Belgian crap <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2014, 10:11:44 PM
I watched all 12 episodes of that Flemish show. It was crap <_<

Is that the one with Ashton Kutcher in it?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.