The Top 10 Conservative Movies of the Last Decade

Started by viper37, February 01, 2010, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Did Republicans really oppose entry into WWII more than Democrats?  Honest question.  Virtually every book I've read has said simply "the nation was in an isolationist mood."  There was the vote on declaring war, which went 99-1 (one Democrat dissenting), but that doesn't say anything.

Korea I don't know how it played politically either.  No declaration of war, so no vote.  Never heard of Truman having any problems with appropriations.  Then Dugout Doug ran as a Republican, and he was pretty darn hawkish on the war.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2010, 08:28:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2010, 08:14:12 PM
Not true, the Republicans were far more progressive than the Democrats prior to the realignment.
Was it Republicans who passed New Deal and Great Society?
They're the ones who passed the Civil Rights Act and were the ones responsible for the saftey regulations passed after the turn of the century.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on February 01, 2010, 09:11:40 PM
Uh you sure about that statement timmay?
A much higher percentage of Republicans were in favor than Dems. The Dems got credit just because LBJ was in charge.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2010, 08:47:04 PM
Did Republicans really oppose entry into WWII more than Democrats?  Honest question.  Virtually every book I've read has said simply "the nation was in an isolationist mood."  There was the vote on declaring war, which went 99-1 (one Democrat dissenting), but that doesn't say anything.

Korea I don't know how it played politically either.  No declaration of war, so no vote.  Never heard of Truman having any problems with appropriations.  Then Dugout Doug ran as a Republican, and he was pretty darn hawkish on the war.

From what I've read the Senate Republicans were the isolationist power center in government before 1941. The most prominent American Firsters were Midwest Republican Senators.

It seems that many of the Neutrality Acts did not have recorded roll call votes... christ, the Senate was a bunch of limp dick cowards.  :lmfao:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Fate on February 01, 2010, 09:35:22 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2010, 08:47:04 PM

From what I've read the Senate Republicans were the isolationist power center in government before 1941. The most prominent American Firsters were Midwest Republican Senators.

It seems that many of the Neutrality Acts did not have recorded roll call votes... christ, the Senate was a bunch of limp dick cowards.  :lmfao:
You do know the Dems dominated the house and senate in the 30s don't you?

1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2010, 09:38:29 PM
You do know the Dems dominated the house and senate in the 30s don't you?

Nah, those were the 3-party days.  Dixiecrats don't count.

dps

Quote from: Fate on February 01, 2010, 07:40:56 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 01, 2010, 07:39:19 PM
Raz, show me a war that conservatives were against? :P
Kosovo?

World War 2?

World War 1?

Oh, I see a pattern here. Any war a Democrat starts?

Gavrilo Princip and Adolf Hitler weren't Democrats.   Bill Clinton I'll grant you, but he'd probably argue that Slobodan Milosevic started it.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on February 02, 2010, 12:40:06 AM
Gavrilo Princip and Adolf Hitler weren't Democrats.   Bill Clinton I'll grant you, but he'd probably argue that Slobodan Milosevic started it.
Adolf Hitler was very ideologically similar to today's Democrats, however.

Alatriste

Quote...Master and Commander, making no concessions to modern, egalitarian sensibilities, is among the most thoroughly and proudly conservative movies ever made. It imagines the [H.M.S.] Surprise as a coherent society in which stability is underwritten by custom and every man knows his duty and his place.

Plus rum, sodomy and the lash, kid soldiers, and driving a man to suicide because of superstitious fears. Paradise on Earth, I suppose... As with 'Black Hawk Down' in the other list, I wonder if they watched the same movie I did.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2010, 09:15:34 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 01, 2010, 09:11:40 PM
Uh you sure about that statement timmay?
A much higher percentage of Republicans were in favor than Dems. The Dems got credit just because LBJ was in charge.

That and more actual Democrats voted for it then Republicans voted for it.  Besides reality intruding in your statement would be correct.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on February 02, 2010, 12:40:06 AM

Princip didn't start the war either, he just gave the powers that be an excuse to start it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2010, 06:56:39 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2010, 06:43:47 PM
Do you realize that these lists are internally inconsistent? How can you put "respect for family, tradition, religion, military" right next to "belief in individual over group"? These very ideas are exactly about the individual putting his or her freedom behind the values of the group he or she belongs to.
I noticed that incredible inconsistency as well, although the problem is with the retardation that is American conservatism, not with the accuracy of Beeb's representation.
I don't think Beeb is talking about American conservatism.  I think his list illustrates the bumper-sticker mentality that "conservatives" and liberals both adopt when they start thinking of themselves as "conservatives" or "liberals" rather than people.

In very rough terms, the political right values opportunity most highly, while the political left values justice most highly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!