The Top 10 Conservative Movies of the Last Decade

Started by viper37, February 01, 2010, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 01, 2010, 06:23:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 05:05:21 PMALthough I haven't seen it, Persuit of Happyness is the only one that sounds like it has an identifiable conservative message.

Only because its character eschews Gittin' On Dat Dere Welfare, and pulls himself up by his bootstraps, which would appeal to racist conservatives and Uncle Toms like Clarence Thomas who incidentally never needed bootstraps in the first place.

:rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

For one thing, I think it's kind of nebulous what "conservative" means here.  It seems to be just what some conservatives happen to like.  David Vitter is a conservative and enjoys sex with hookers so apparently sex with hookers is a conservative value.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 01, 2010, 06:24:13 PM
Quoteand ranks alongside Zulu, Saving Private Ryan and A Bridge Too Far as one of the greatest war films of all time.

Which of these does not belong?

The one where the bad guys are white?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 06:25:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 05:05:21 PMALthough I haven't seen it, Persuit of Happyness is the only one that sounds like it has an identifiable conservative message.

Only because its character eschews Gittin' On Dat Dere Welfare, and pulls himself up by his bootstraps, which would appeal to racist conservatives and Uncle Toms like Clarence Thomas who incidentally never needed bootstraps in the first place.

We all respect how much you've pulled yourself up by your bootstraps, too.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2010, 06:25:44 PM
For one thing, I think it's kind of nebulous what "conservative" means here.  It seems to be just what some conservatives happen to like.  David Vitter is a conservative and enjoys sex with hookers so apparently sex with hookers is a conservative value.

Sure, it's kind of nebulous what "conservative" means (just as the meaning of "liberal" is fairly elastic), but you can certainly pinpoint the vague outlines of what conservative values are:

-respect for tradition
-respect for family
-belief in the individual over the group
-religion
-support the military
-free enterprise
-self reliance

It's not than "liberals" are opposed to any of the above, but those are values more emphasized by Conservatives

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 01, 2010, 06:29:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 06:25:27 PM

We all respect how much you've pulled yourself up by your bootstraps, too.

Never claimed that I did.   :huh:

I was hardly born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but I've gotten a lot of support from my parents growing up. :hug:

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 06:31:05 PM
Never claimed that I did.   :huh:

I was hardly born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but I've gotten a lot of support from my parents growing up. :hug:

Facetiousness: It's What's For Dinner.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 01, 2010, 06:24:13 PM
Quoteand ranks alongside Zulu, Saving Private Ryan and A Bridge Too Far as one of the greatest war films of all time.

Which of these does not belong?

Saving Private Ryan. How in the hell they can compare that movie to Zulu angers me.

And Grabner's death ride? Cinema perfection.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 06:30:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2010, 06:25:44 PM

Sure, it's kind of nebulous what "conservative" means (just as the meaning of "liberal" is fairly elastic), but you can certainly pinpoint the vague outlines of what conservative values are:

-respect for tradition
-respect for family
-belief in the individual over the group
-religion
-support the military
-free enterprise
-self reliance

It's not than "liberals" are opposed to any of the above, but those are values more emphasized by Conservatives

Just out of curiosity could you make a list for what liberals support?

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2010, 06:10:04 PM
Even though it contains many of the same movies, here is a better list of Conservative movies - National Review's 25 best conservative movies of the last 25 years.

http://nrd.nationalreview.com/article/?q=YWQ4MDlhMWRkZDQ5YmViMDM1Yzc0MTE3ZTllY2E3MGM=

Even the titles it shares in common with the first list, it does a much better job of explaining why they are "conservative".

The list isn't perfect, but it's a better starting point.

Plus I bet you never thought of "Ghostbusters" as being a conservative movie.   :huh:

That list is only marginally less crappy than the 1st post's one. All the authors seem to project more than a multiplex.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2010, 06:33:28 PM
Just out of curiosity could you make a list for what liberals support?

Obviously anything with niggers, fags, Jews and unions stealing your tax money from the government to not work.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive