News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama meets the Republican Caucus

Started by Jacob, January 29, 2010, 05:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on January 30, 2010, 09:06:35 PM
Is Hans less credible than people like Spellus, his cross-aisle equivalent?  I don't really see it.
:hmm:
When did I become a knee-jerk liberal?  I supported the Afghan and Iraq surges. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on January 30, 2010, 10:48:42 PM
Is Hans less credible than people like Spellus, his cross-aisle equivalent?  I don't really see it.

Don't feed the troll
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2010, 01:04:15 PM
What does France add to a conference about Iraq?
I agree.  There's no point in inviting France to the Azores meeting - if it's a conference where you're trying to get post-war aid then of course they should be there. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on January 30, 2010, 10:48:42 PM
About the same time you started using 'conservative' as a pejorative, the way Hans does with 'liberal'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2010, 09:25:15 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2010, 01:04:15 PM
What does France add to a conference about Iraq?
I agree.  There's no point in inviting France to the Azores meeting - if it's a conference where you're trying to get post-war aid then of course they should be there.
Maybe.  After all, they'll probably want to loot the country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Well that era of good feeling didn't last long:

QuotePresident lashes out at GOP

Obama's sharper tone could alienate voters tired of division

Darlene Superville and Jennifer Loven / Associated Press

Nashua, N.H. -- President Barack Obama branded Republicans on Tuesday as electoral opportunists more concerned about their own interests, taking a political risk by escalating criticism of the very lawmakers he's urging to work with him.

The newly combative approach is a double-edged sword for Obama.

Fearful of losses in the November congressional and gubernatorial elections, Democrats have been urging Obama to throw tougher punches at Republicans. Those calls grew louder after the Democrats' loss two weeks ago of a Senate seat in Massachusetts.

The president complied on Tuesday, choosing to do so in a state where two House seats and a Senate seat are in play this fall.

Citing examples, he took Republicans to task for switching positions on important issues just to score points with voters.

"You're out of patience with this kind of business as usual," he told his 1,600-member audience here at a town hall meeting. "You want us to start worrying less about our jobs and more about your jobs."

But even if Obama notches some rhetorical wins, he risks alienating people.

What's more, Obama's sharper tone comes at a time of deepening voter ire about Washington's politics of division and inability to solve pressing problems.

Sensing opportunity, Republicans have taken note. Countering Obama's portrayal of himself as above the political fray, the Republican National Committee sent out video of what it called the president's "perpetual campaigning" of late.

It was jobs -- or the lack of jobs -- that brought Obama to New Hampshire.

The president talked about his proposal to take $30 billion from the bank bailout program to funnel it to community banks for lending to small businesses.

Some Republicans criticized the plan because under current law repaid bailout loan money is supposed to repay public debt.

"It's not for a piggy bank because you're concerned about lending to small businesses and you want to get a political event when you go out and make a speech in Nashua, N.H.," Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., told the White House budget director in Washington. "That's not what this money's for. This money is to reduce the debt of our children."

Go get 'em Barack.  Rar!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on February 03, 2010, 12:56:09 PM
Well that era of good feeling didn't last long:

Playing good cop, bad cop just doesn't work when you play both.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2010, 05:37:59 PM
They don't seem to be in the mood to find ways to better work together at governing the country, they're just bent on crushing the Democrats politically come November.

That sort of reminds me of another political party a couple years ago...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2010, 01:07:33 PM
That sort of reminds me of another political party a couple years ago...
I agree.  At the minute twice as many people think Obama's being bipartisan as think Republicans are.  Those figures are good for him and the Democrats.  That's something he should try to keep high.

However that only comes into play when the economy starts recovering.
Let's bomb Russia!