News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama meets the Republican Caucus

Started by Jacob, January 29, 2010, 05:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/obama-speeches/speech/173/

I find this pretty reasonable stuff.  It's nice to see politicians talking about the issues directly than through soundbites through the press.

DGuller

The problem I see is that Republicans will take it as a sign of weakness, or not take it to heart at all.  They don't seem to be in the mood to find ways to better work together at governing the country, they're just bent on crushing the Democrats politically come November.

Ed Anger

Quotethey're just bent on crushing the Democrats

A worthy cause.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 29, 2010, 05:24:59 PM
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/obama-speeches/speech/173/

I find this pretty reasonable stuff.  It's nice to see politicians talking about the issues directly than through soundbites through the press.
Yup, caught a little bit of it live.  I'm sure you'll want to scurry to the OT thread and read my fascinating comments.

Jacob

I would, if I knew what thread you were talking about.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2010, 05:37:59 PM
The problem I see is that Republicans will take it as a sign of weakness, or not take it to heart at all.  They don't seem to be in the mood to find ways to better work together at governing the country, they're just bent on crushing the Democrats politically come November.

I'm beginning to wonder if Republicans believe in Bipartisanship.  I'm starting to suspect that Republicans view foreign enemies and domestic opponents the same way you just don't talk to them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

The problem I see is that Republicans will take it as a sign of weakness,
It is a sign of weakness.  Obama wasn't meeting with Republicans a year ago.  Nevermind that his appearance was booked before the catastrophic Democratic defeat in Massatchusetts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on January 29, 2010, 09:13:49 PM
It is a sign of weakness.  Obama wasn't meeting with Republicans a year ago.  Nevermind that his appearance was booked before the catastrophic Democratic defeat in Massatchusetts.
Actually, didn't he have this kind of meeting a year ago?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2010, 09:59:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 29, 2010, 09:13:49 PM
Actually, didn't he have this kind of meeting a year ago?
I believe so, and George W. had at least one that I can remember, they just weren't televised.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

It's not a sign of weakness, and I'm sure the Republicans aren't taking it that way.  It's another chance for Obama to get in front of cameras, and I think he's trying to raise the stakes for Republicans being "obstructionist".  I didn't watch the whole thing, but I'm sure his plan was to pretend to listen to GOP proposals, look good on camera, and go back to business as usual.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2010, 08:19:17 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if Republicans believe in Bipartisanship.  I'm starting to suspect that Republicans view foreign enemies and domestic opponents the same way you just don't talk to them.
Funny, it has been the Democrats that have refused to talk to the Republicans, locking them outside the meetings for a year and demanding that they vote for bills without even getting an opportunity to read them.  And it has been Obama who has been attacking everybody that dare not march in lockstep with him, from Rush Limbaugh to Foxnews to the Chamber of Commerce to Gallup to Tea Party protesters to the US Supreme Court.

You're engaging in projection, wake up to reality.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on January 29, 2010, 10:51:34 PM

Funny, it has been the Democrats that have refused to talk to the Republicans, locking them outside the meetings for a year and demanding that they vote for bills without even getting an opportunity to read them.  And it has been Obama who has been attacking everybody that dare not march in lockstep with him, from Rush Limbaugh to Foxnews to the Chamber of Commerce to Gallup to Tea Party protesters to the US Supreme Court.

You are the one that first gave me this idea due to some of the things you said during the last administration.  How the idea of politics was to keep your base energized and never compromise.  You just keep pushing till the best idea wins out.

Republicans have claimed not to be allowed in to all these meetings but what proof do they have to back it up.  Last year on the budget the republicans claimed their ideas weren't getting any attention.  When called to provide their budget they didn't actually have one.  The produced a document that didn't have any numbers in it.

QuoteRush Limbaugh to Foxnews to the Chamber of Commerce to Gallup to Tea Party protesters to the US Supreme Court

That's pretty funny.  It's like saying from across this great country!  From Dallas to Fort Worth from Austin to Houston.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Hansmeister on January 29, 2010, 10:51:34 PM

Ooh, nice.  Now could you try rephrasing that with examples who had some integrity in the first place?  Limbaugh?  None.  Fox?  None.  Tea Party?  Gimme a fucking break, Hans.  You can do better than that.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

The Chamber of Commerce aren't exactly the most honest bunch in the world when you  get right down to it.