The Top 10 Conservative Movies of the Last Decade

Started by viper37, February 01, 2010, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2010, 07:27:11 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2010, 06:56:39 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2010, 06:43:47 PM
Do you realize that these lists are internally inconsistent? How can you put "respect for family, tradition, religion, military" right next to "belief in individual over group"? These very ideas are exactly about the individual putting his or her freedom behind the values of the group he or she belongs to.
I noticed that incredible inconsistency as well, although the problem is with the retardation that is American conservatism, not with the accuracy of Beeb's representation.
I don't think Beeb is talking about American conservatism.  I think his list illustrates the bumper-sticker mentality that "conservatives" and liberals both adopt when they start thinking of themselves as "conservatives" or "liberals" rather than people.

In very rough terms, the political right values opportunity most highly, while the political left values justice most highly.

What about Iranian conservatives?  I'd say that the political right value preservation of a current system, slow reforms or a return to a real or imagine previous time period.  The Left would be the opposite of these things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on February 02, 2010, 07:36:44 AM
What about Iranian conservatives?  I'd say that the political right value preservation of a current system, slow reforms or a return to a real or imagine previous time period.  The Left would be the opposite of these things.
I don't think "the Left" is the opposite of "Iranian Conservatives."  I'd argue it is right-wing conservatives pretending to be left-wingers versus right-wing reformers pretending to be left-wingers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I just ordered a bunch of MST3K movies, so I'll let everybody know if Tom Servo or Crow T. Robot is conservative.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2010, 10:02:34 AM
I don't think "the Left" is the opposite of "Iranian Conservatives."  I'd argue it is right-wing conservatives pretending to be left-wingers versus right-wing reformers pretending to be left-wingers.

Clear as mud.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2010, 10:02:34 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 02, 2010, 07:36:44 AM

I like the traditional and actual definition of conservative since it's more encompassing and less stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2010, 10:39:05 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 02, 2010, 10:34:53 AM
Clear as mud.
It has some big words,

Not really. Just ones used ambiguously. Who are these people pretending to be left-wingers? Iranians? Congressional Democrats? Activist types?

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on February 02, 2010, 10:40:40 AM
I like the traditional and actual definition of conservative since it's more encompassing and less stupid.
But it doesn't fit the Iranian government, who claim to be revolutionaries. Plus, it is only your own personal definition, and so isn't traditional and encompasses only what you think it does.

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 02, 2010, 10:25:41 AM
I just ordered a bunch of MST3K movies, so I'll let everybody know if Tom Servo or Crow T. Robot is conservative.

I think Tom Servo is somewhat leftist while Crow is a populist conspiracy theorist.

Btw did you ever see "Teenage Strangler"? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 02, 2010, 10:53:58 AM
Not really. Just ones used ambiguously. Who are these people pretending to be left-wingers? Iranians?
Yes.  The post I was responding to was specifically referring to Iranians.  The logical conclusion, I would think, would be that I was also referring to Iranians.

QuoteCongressional Democrats? Activist types?
To which Congress do you refer? How would one tell an "activist type" from an "inactivist type" if neither is at a given moment moving?

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on February 02, 2010, 11:01:56 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 02, 2010, 10:25:41 AM

I think Tom Servo is somewhat leftist while Crow is a populist conspiracy theorist.

Btw did you ever see "Teenage Strangler"?

Its been so long, I forget.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Iranians have never really struck me as claiming to be "left-wing" (which is pretty meaningless in a non-Western context). They may be revolutionaries, but their revolution was founded in Islam, not Marxism.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2010, 11:01:42 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 02, 2010, 10:40:40 AM
But it doesn't fit the Iranian government, who claim to be revolutionaries. Plus, it is only your own personal definition, and so isn't traditional and encompasses only what you think it does.

They are going back to an imagined time of religious austerity.  Such people are called Reactionaries and are right wing.  They are "returning" to previous more pure time which fits in my definition.  Since countries have different meanings conservative might be for different things in different countries.  American conservatives see in their past more personal and economic freedom (where that really existed is for debate), while a conservative in say Saudi Arabia might view their past in terms of stately monarchs who kept people in their place.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 02, 2010, 11:15:04 AM
Iranians have never really struck me as claiming to be "left-wing" (which is pretty meaningless in a non-Western context). They may be revolutionaries, but their revolution was founded in Islam, not Marxism.
Marxism is not the same as leftism.

I suppose one can argue that "left wing," "right wing," "conservative," and all the other labels are not meaningful in a non-Western context, but if you do so, then you need to either propose meaningful alternate terms, or else concede that you cannot meaningfully discuss the non-western situation at all.

I don't make that argument, though.  I think the terms fit just fine.

Bayraktar!