News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dragon Age: Spoiler free

Started by Berkut, November 23, 2009, 09:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2009, 02:56:29 AM
Dear hod, the giant spider are disgusting. Epsecially when they use their "overwhelm" skill. :x

Oh yeah, that one is lovely. :lol:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Queequeg

The game is really wonderful.  I actually like the setting a lot more than Faerun, though I think the combat system is a bit dumbed down from BG2.  I miss the super-complex mage battles that typified late-level BG2 and the expansion pack.   I love that they use some of the same sound effects, the same sign for opening things, even the "gather party and venture forth".  Brings back memories. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on November 27, 2009, 09:46:07 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2009, 02:56:29 AM
Dear hod, the giant spider are disgusting. Epsecially when they use their "overwhelm" skill. :x

Oh yeah, that one is lovely. :lol:

:yes: :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Pedrito

I bought it expecting I had to upgrade my rather old machine, but the game runs surprisingly smooth with graphics settings on High.
I just arrived in Ostagar, so I've not yet experimented any complex battles, but until now I'm very suprised in a positive way.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Slargos

I've started playing and so far I mostly like what I see.

"No. I don't want to bother you with that" as a response to "Can I help?" is great. The sidequests are feeling more rational and less "please find my lost parrot".

I'm bothered though that I can't in good conscience act on most of the "evil" options since I don't care to play a raging psychotic.

Jaron

Quote from: Slargos on December 06, 2009, 11:30:06 PM

"No. I don't want to bother you with that" as a response to "Can I help?" is great. The sidequests are feeling more rational and less "please find my lost parrot".

I'm bothered though that I can't in good conscience act on most of the "evil" options since I don't care to play a raging psychotic.

Why not? Need a break?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Slargos

Quote from: Jaron on December 06, 2009, 11:31:25 PM
Quote from: Slargos on December 06, 2009, 11:30:06 PM

Why not? Need a break?

Har har di har har.  :P

MadImmortalMan

I find a lot of the evil options kinda difficult to do. I do wonder how the game would be different just choosing everything a complete jackass would do, but I'd probably lose out on getting a number of the NPCs on my team. Good ones at that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 07, 2009, 02:00:43 PM
I find a lot of the evil options kinda difficult to do. I do wonder how the game would be different just choosing everything a complete jackass would do, but I'd probably lose out on getting a number of the NPCs on my team. Good ones at that.

Do you ever wonder what your life would be like if you did everything as a complete jackass would?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

My philosophy is "Everyone gets 1 chance, cross me : everybody dies."
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2009, 05:59:20 PM
Do you ever wonder what your life would be like if you did everything as a complete jackass would?
We know what life would be like; we would be living in our parents' basement on prescription drugs and spending too much time on internet fora.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Yeah, I guess my beef with the "evil" options is that generally they're not so much evil as they are simply meanspirited.

By going the evil route you're not playing a supervillain, you're essentially playing a languish long-troll.

"Dingoes stole your babyes? LOL. Fuk u bitch dey wuz probably good eatin."

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on December 08, 2009, 11:10:50 PM

Yeah, I guess my beef with the "evil" options is that generally they're not so much evil as they are simply meanspirited.

By going the evil route you're not playing a supervillain, you're essentially playing a languish long-troll.

It's a problem with nearly all Computer games that make moral choices.  One of the problems is that there rarely is a reason to do an evil act in a computer RPG.  When doing good thing rewards you with power and money what's the point of doing evil?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2009, 11:25:31 PM
Quote from: Slargos on December 08, 2009, 11:10:50 PM

It's a problem with nearly all Computer games that make moral choices.  One of the problems is that there rarely is a reason to do an evil act in a computer RPG.  When doing good thing rewards you with power and money what's the point of doing evil?

When the Brotherhood of Steel pilot attempted to radio back to the Citadel and remarked "Huh, I guess their radios must be down", that was one of the greatest rewards I have ever gotten from any game for any reason. Easily in my top ten list.  :D

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2009, 11:25:31 PM
True.  Moral choices are not about good and evil.  They are about being selfish versus acting as you would want others to act towards you; individualism versus communalism.

Individualism should have an immediate positive, gratifying outcome, and a long-term negative impact on how others see you, and communalism should have the opposite.  Which choice would produce the net best outcome should be random with each playing of the game.

You can have fun without this, of course.  I went through maybe my third playing of Fallout 3 saying, at each decision-point, "What Would Dirty Harry Do?"  It was fun, because it made me do things I didn't necessarily want to do (like mock the Megaton Sheriff) but wasn't "evil just to be evil."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!