News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Cerr

Just finished listening to the last Ron Moore podcast and I still don't buy the luddite shite ending. Maybe the humans all went mad but the skinjobs are technology, it makes even less sense for them to agree to the suicude pact.

Grallon

The soundtrack for Season 4.0/4.5 has been released.  Say what you will about the show, its plot holes and its shitty ending (an opinion I now share) - the music is simply fantastic, a character all its own!

Bear McCreary is a genius!

G.

-----

Here's a few of my favorties:

Gaeta's Lament (instrumental)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi06mAHmeHo&feature=related

The Resurection Hub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGsNW6ag83E&feature=related

Diaspora Oratorio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJVpcj4o5Ps&feature=related

And of course...  The Frakin Song  :P  or the Cylon Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvV1r7x_R70&feature=related

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

So what you're saying is that I won?

Excellent.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 06:46:38 PM

Excellent.

Starbuck is a neurotic but brilliant female viper pilot  :mad:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

HisMajestyBOB

I haven't finished watching the show yet, but from this thread, I'm surprised that the ending appears to be about what I guessed: an Adam and Eve plot, one of the most cliched SciFi endings ever.  :lol:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grallon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 23, 2009, 08:00:23 PM
but from this thread, I'm surprised that the ending appears to be about what I guessed: an Adam and Eve plot, one of the most cliched SciFi endings ever.  :lol:

Dude!  It's all about the characters!  Respect!

:bleeding:

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on July 23, 2009, 07:56:49 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 06:46:38 PM

Excellent.
Starbuck is a neurotic but brilliant female viper pilot  :mad:
Struggle as you may, but the ending has given me victory.  It revealed that the show was never about story or characters, but merely cashing in with another thoughtless reboot of a 70s franchise.

Look upon your master and despair.

Darth Wagtaros

I dislike the use of the term reboot for remaking old tv series or movies.  I think they should call it a remake.
PDH!

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 08:27:23 PM

Struggle as you may, but the ending has given me victory.  It revealed that the show was never about story or characters, but merely cashing in with another thoughtless reboot of a 70s franchise.

Look upon your master and despair.

:lol:

I lay blame solely at the feet of that asswipe Moore who allowed his show to trainwreck then tried to save the day with a few cheap tricks.

I'm still in mourning you know.  Listening to that music just emphasized how dear these characters were to me.  And try as I might I can't muster any kind of enthousiasm for "The Plan"... knowing where they all end up.

G.

~Jean-François Revel

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 23, 2009, 08:34:09 PM
I dislike the use of the term reboot for remaking old tv series or movies.  I think they should call it a remake.
Well, a reboot is a bit different than a mere remake.  A reboot reconstructs all the stuff leading up to the show, so that the show's premise is fundamentally different.  The proposed reboot of Star Trek TOS, for instance, actually had the Enterprise (or, more accurately, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy) actually out there looking for something, as opposed to just exploring for exploration's sake.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Why are the characters so dear to you?  I mean, I think there was a gay guy, but I know you're not an idiot with issues like Martinus.  Turning Starbuck from a scoundrel with a heart of gold into a psychotic hussy?  Turning Adama from a brave, respected leader into an ineffective dolt?  Turning Tigh and Boomer from proud, funky black men into killer robots?  Turning Baltar from a preening mastermind into a whiny emokid?  I don't know if they have an Athena in the new one, but I guarantee that she isn't as hot as Marin Jensen.  Instead, they turned the Cylons from iconic villains into sexaroids.

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 08:47:48 PM
Why are the characters so dear to you?  I mean, I think there was a gay guy, but I know you're not an idiot with issues like Martinus.  Turning Starbuck from a scoundrel with a heart of gold into a psychotic hussy?  Turning Adama from a brave, respected leader into an ineffective dolt?  Turning Tigh and Boomer from proud, funky black men into killer robots?  Turning Baltar from a preening mastermind into a whiny emokid?  I don't know if they have an Athena in the new one, but I guarantee that she isn't as hot as Marin Jensen.  Instead, they turned the Cylons from iconic villains into sexaroids.

All of these characters were fathoms deeper and richer than their cartoonish cardboard counterparts from the 70s.  But you already know that - you're merely goading, as usual.  So I'm left to wonder if you aren't a tease at heart!?

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on July 23, 2009, 08:52:57 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 08:47:48 PM
All of these characters were fathoms deeper and richer than their cartoonish cardboard counterparts from the 70s.  But you already know that - you're merely goading, as usual.  So I'm left to wonder if you aren't a tease at hear!?
Actually, I've never watched the new show, so the only things I know about the characters are things that I've read on Languish.

Still, the reboot ran much longer than the original series (5 seasons vs. 1), and so it's not surprising that they had more time to flesh out the characters.