And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerr

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Berkut on March 22, 2009, 03:25:37 PM
Wow. He had no fucking clue where he was going with this story, did he?

It's about the characters!!1!111

grumbler

Of course he did.  Where he was going was to the bank.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Having read the details of the final episode on Battlestar Wiki, all I can say is...

Moronic.

After all, given the subsequent history of the Earth, it seems nobody bothered to take any details on, say, ironworking or anything obvious like that...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on March 22, 2009, 04:14:59 PM
Having read the details of the final episode on Battlestar Wiki, all I can say is...

Moronic.

After all, given the subsequent history of the Earth, it seems nobody bothered to take any details on, say, ironworking or anything obvious like that...
Just look at the survival rates for the first few years at, say, Jamestown.  440 of the first 500 people to step ashore there were dead within 3 years.  AND they had much more support and infrastructure than the refugees from the Colonies apparently had (haven't seen the ep, so am basing this on descriptions).  Plus, i understand that the refugees basically scattered after their arrival, so they lost whatever benefit the Jamestown settlers had from the community (though mitigated, perhaps, some disadvantages).  How many former colonials would there be after three years even if the death rate was "only" Jamestown's 88%?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

If Hera is the so called mitochondrial eve, then it's likely that all colonial and cylon females of child bearing age died out in short order.

I'd assume the death rate would be near 99% given that the planet's bacterial and parasitic flora evolved independently for 2.5 billion years.

Agelastus

Jamestown may not be a fair comparison for a whole world, given the climate ranges involved.

However, as I understand it "modern" humanity did not emerge from Africa for a few tens of thousands of years post "Colonial landfall" (I will admit I may be wrong here.)

If I am right, however, then where they have settled is certainly not our Earth.

I must admit, "Golgofrinchan" springs to mind when I read about the last few scenes.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Quote from: Fate on March 22, 2009, 04:29:45 PM
If Hera is the so called mitochondrial eve, then it's likely that all colonial and cylon females of child bearing age died out in short order.

I'd assume the death rate would be near 99% given that the planet's bacterial and parasitic flora evolved independently for 2.5 billion years.

I am an idiot when it comes to these things, but does this not mean that the line of female descent is intact to her (every generation had a daughter.) If a contemporary of Hera had only sons, then she would not show up as a "mitochoondrial eve"?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

FunkMonk

I laughed out loud at the scenes with Japanese robots at the end. I mean come the fuck on...  :'(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: grumbler on March 22, 2009, 04:22:14 PM
Just look at the survival rates for the first few years at, say, Jamestown.  440 of the first 500 people to step ashore there were dead within 3 years.  AND they had much more support and infrastructure than the refugees from the Colonies apparently had (haven't seen the ep, so am basing this on descriptions).  Plus, i understand that the refugees basically scattered after their arrival, so they lost whatever benefit the Jamestown settlers had from the community (though mitigated, perhaps, some disadvantages).  How many former colonials would there be after three years even if the death rate was "only" Jamestown's 88%?

They did scatter, but they did so in small groups, all across the planet.  They appeared very ill equipped, everyone was allowed one bag, and they showed lines of people, each carrying only a backpack or duffel sack, trudging off in to the wilderness.  I doubt many of them would be left after a few years.

Fate

Quote from: Agelastus on March 22, 2009, 04:34:41 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 22, 2009, 04:29:45 PM

I am an idiot when it comes to these things, but does this not mean that the line of female descent is intact to her (every generation had a daughter.) If a contemporary of Hera had only sons, then she would not show up as a "mitochoondrial eve"?

Yes. The sons would receive Hera's mitochondria, but the sons could not pass those mitochondria on to the subsequent generations. The problem is that Hera's mitochondria are unique - either Cylon or Cylon-Colonial (the latter is not naturally possible, but she is some sort of messiah or lab creation...)

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 22, 2009, 07:42:14 AM
So what the show demonstrated was that those who died swiftly at the beginning of the war were the lucky ones?  The survivors simply chose a complex, long, and painful suicide in the end?

That's kind of a neat answer, though nihilistic.  The poster Gral quoted didn't see that coming.  Did anyone here?

What the show really shows is that you and a number of others here could write something a lot better.   Alll we need is the number of the T.V. exec Moore pitched.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 22, 2009, 03:33:58 PM

It's about the characters!!1!111

and he failed even there, as the ending proves

Grinning_Colossus

Eh, I liked the ending with Roslin and Adama. Having Anders turn into a magic computer and fly into the sun wasn't quite as good, tho.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?