Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2020, 03:14:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2020, 03:08:00 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2020, 02:45:43 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2020, 02:34:04 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 01, 2020, 02:32:38 PM
I find that the "a coup would be illegal so therefore there cannot be a coup" argument doesn't 100% put the issue to rest.

Didn't work so well for Weimar.  There is a whiff of Weimarism in the American air now, including the dangerous focus on the scope of Presidential emergency authority.

It didn't work out so well for others who went along with the coup, either.  Hitler didn't stay in power forever and payback came at Nuremberg.

Ok,  so we just need to wait for China to win a war with the US, no problem then.

:huh:  Okay....

*backs away slowly*

*turns and flees at high speed*

You should be trying to back away from your post as fast as possible.

Habbaku

Can we please not turn this into a roleplaying forum?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zanza

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2020, 02:45:43 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2020, 02:34:04 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 01, 2020, 02:32:38 PM
I find that the "a coup would be illegal so therefore there cannot be a coup" argument doesn't 100% put the issue to rest.

Didn't work so well for Weimar.  There is a whiff of Weimarism in the American air now, including the dangerous focus on the scope of Presidential emergency authority.

It didn't work out so well for others who went along with the coup, either.  Hitler didn't stay in power forever and payback came at Nuremberg.
None of the indictments in Nuremberg had anything to do with the dismantling of the Weimar Republic.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on June 01, 2020, 05:41:38 PM

None of the indictments in Nuremberg had anything to do with the dismantling of the Weimar Republic.

Robert Jackson believed otherwise
QuoteThe Crimes of the Nazi Regime.

The strength of the case against these defendants under the conspiracy Count, which it is the duty of the United States to argue, is in its simplicity. It involves but three ultimate inquiries: First, have the acts defined by the Charter as crimes been committed; second, were they committed pursuant to a Common Plan or Conspiracy; third, are these defendants among those who are criminally responsible?

The charge requires examination of a criminal policy, not of a multitude of isolated, unplanned, or disputed crimes. The substantive crimes upon which we rely, either as goals of a common plan or as means for its accomplishment, are admitted. The pillars which uphold the conspiracy charge may be found in five groups of overt acts, whose character and magnitude are important considerations in appraising the proof of conspiracy.

1. The Seizure of Power and Subjugation of Germany to a Police State.

The Nazi Party seized control of the German State in 1933. "Seizure of power" is a characterization used by defendants and defense witnesses, and so apt that it has passed into both history and everyday speech.
http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/nuremberg/Jacksonclose.htm
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2020, 05:39:34 PM
Can we please not turn this into a roleplaying forum?

You are about 15 years too late

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

QuoteI have strongly recommended to every governor to deploy the National Guard in sufficient numbers that we dominate the streets. Mayors and governors must establish an overwhelming law enforcement presence until the violence has been quelled. If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them.

So, US troops to be deployed against US citizens, soon coming to a city near you!

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2020, 06:37:19 PM
So, US troops to be deployed against US citizens, soon coming to a city near you!

The President doesn't have the guts to do it. This is bullshit and bluster.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

If you want to see something awkward, look for Trump's photo op today at St. John's in Washington (when he gave the previous message), in which he struggles to hold a Bible in a human way, as if it's the first time he's touching a book.

Edit: Found a short clip: https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/1267595541006843904

Sheilbh

A reporter asked, "is that your Bible?" Trump responded, "it's a Bible" :lol

I don't think I'll ever fully understand the evangelicals selling their souls for this man.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

That's easy.  The ends justify the means.

Sheilbh

Yeah but there's nothing grudging about it. They always seem so whole-heartedly keen. I suppose if I was proper religious it'd be difficult to say the ends justify the means, so I'd delude myself into thinking the means are actually great and not at all morally compromising.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2020, 06:56:12 PM
Yeah but there's nothing grudging about it. They always seem so whole-heartedly keen. I suppose if I was proper religious it'd be difficult to say the ends justify the means, so I'd delude myself into thinking the means are actually great and not at all morally compromising.

I believe there have been reports about it. IIRC the bottom line was that they were willing to forgive his personal sins and foibles as long as he delivered in the areas where they were interested, mostly judicial appointments and conservative policies. Also, they see him with some heavily rose tinted glasses.

QuoteSurvey: White Evangelicals See Trump As 'Honest' And 'Morally Upstanding'

White evangelicals in the United States, the core of President Donald Trump's political base, have far more positive views of his personal conduct and character than other U.S. adults.

By a nearly 2-to-1 margin, white evangelicals are more likely than other Americans to say the terms "morally upstanding" and "honest" describe Trump at least "fairly well," according to a new survey from the Pew Research Center.

The evangelical assessment does come with some reservations. Only about 15% of white evangelicals, for example, say "morally upstanding" describes Trump "very well," while another 45% say the term applies to Trump "fairly well." Two-thirds of U.S. adults as a whole say that characterization fits him "not too well" or "not at all well."

The evangelical view of Trump stands out not just by its divergence from the broader U.S. opinion, but by its apparent disconnect from conventional standards. Almost two-thirds of white evangelicals see Trump as at least "somewhat religious," despite his profanity, his sporadic church attendance, and his evident unfamiliarity with the Bible.

One explanation for white evangelicals' attachment to Trump is that they see him as a political ally. The Pew survey found that 63% of white evangelical Protestants believe their side has been "winning politically" under the Trump presidency. That's a dramatic turnaround from 2016, when less than one in four white evangelicals saw themselves as on the winning side.

The Pew results also show white evangelical Christians as showing support for a version of Judeo-Christian nationalism. More than 90% say they want their president to stand up not only for religious beliefs in general, but for their religious beliefs in particular, including biblical teaching.

Nine in 10 white evangelicals say they want the Bible to have "at least some influence" on U.S. laws, according to the Pew findings.

"Two-thirds of them go a step further," notes Greg Smith, the associate director of religion research at Pew. "They say that if and when the Bible conflicts with the will of the American people, the Bible should have more influence on the laws of the land."

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2020, 06:56:12 PM
I honestly struggle to understand why it came as a surprise.  I'm sure some people in some religions really do take principled stands at expense of their self-interest, but this idea that most religious people do strikes me as self-serving PR for when the principled stands coincide with personal interests.