News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Federal agencies are required to have contingency plans for the suspension of operations in the event of a lapse in appropriations. OMB has them all here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/information-for-agencies/agency-contingency-plans/

Basically, through these plans, an agency determines positions that are required to maintain the safety of human life or the protection of property, or considered essential for national security. These positions are "excepted" from furlough, so essentially they are forced to work without pay because of public safety and security.

This website has a helpful chart at the bottom that roughly estimates the proportions of some agencies that are furloughed, so you can suss out roughly the proportions of each agency that are being forced to work without pay. http://www.governing.com/topics/mgmt/gov-government-shutdown-federal-employee-effects-by-state.html

Note there are some subagencies within the larger entities that are continuing operations as normal, such as the US Mint and the Bureau of Reclamation, because they have funding sources other than annual appropriations.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 11, 2019, 03:28:29 AM
As a former and possibly future federal employee (National Park Service), I can say that the mood is very, very gloomy among people I know personally and read of online that are still part of the organization.  In one Facebook group I'm a member of with thousands of others, the percentage against Trump and The Wall is probably north of 95%.  Almost without fail, any support he has that I can see is from the Law Enforcement branch of the NPS and older white males and a few females who are either down to volunteer status, retired, or seasonals.  The "partially open" status of parks is a disaster on multiple levels for the NPS.  The parks are being trashed, entry fees that went to a slush fund to help address the millions of dollars in backlogged maintenance issues are now being tapped for bringing back select employees, and the idea that the parks can be run without and staffing is being floated in some circles.  The NPS just celebrated their 100th Anniversary.  I fear they won't survive to celebrate their 110th at this rate...
I wonder if some of that is intentional.  There is certainly a lot of interest among both Republicans and Russians to make large parts of US government cease to effectively exist.

Valmy

The idea of small government being a leaner meaner state with control being devolved to the lowest level possible is one I think is a good guideline. I mean it does not work in every case but it is a good principal. Efficiency and democratic local control are generally good things.

Somehow or another this got turned into a kind of nihilistic anarchism by a radical minority. So it does not surprise me at all if there were those hoping this would seriously damage the ability of the Feds to carry out their duties.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

The duties that the federal government itself apparently thinks are unimportant?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2019, 07:05:53 AM
Quote from: The Larch on January 11, 2019, 05:56:33 AM
What the hell, no written employment contracts? How are disputes settled?

I read employers trend increasingly towards having employees agree that any disputes are settled in single arbitration, not a court of law, and that they won't join any class action suits.
Question to lawyers: is there any reason why the law even allows me to sign away my right to a court as dispute settlement? What's the societal gain of allowing that?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2019, 05:18:28 AM
Quote from: dps on January 11, 2019, 05:11:43 AM
employees who aren't unionized probably don't have any formal written contract.

:huh:

who the hell would take a regular job without a written contract?

Americans.  Fuck yeah!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on January 11, 2019, 05:56:33 AM
What the hell, no written employment contracts? How are disputes settled?

In favor of the employer.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

In concrete terms, what is the difference between a formal contract and a set of policies and benefits?  Honest question.

The Minsky Moment

"Policies" can be changed at any time by the party whose policy it is. Contracts usually can only be amended by consent of both parties to the contract.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Without a contract how do you determine which people are employees (and presumably are affected by policies)?

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 11, 2019, 11:35:41 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2019, 05:18:28 AM
Quote from: dps on January 11, 2019, 05:11:43 AM
employees who aren't unionized probably don't have any formal written contract.

:huh:

who the hell would take a regular job without a written contract?

Americans.  Fuck yeah!

Minsky, when I first joined the legal workforce and joined a national firm (Malthus' current firm), I was kind of surprised to learn that we were not under any written contract.  I was even more surprised to learn that is basically standard in the Canadian legal profession.  Is that not the case in the US?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Law firm associates don't have written contracts. Although there may be an offer letter that sets forth some basic terms.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2019, 12:17:43 PM
Without a contract how do you determine which people are employees (and presumably are affected by policies)?

There are contracts, they just aren't in writing.  Oral contracts are valid in Anglo-American law subject to certain exceptions.  In small organizations everyone knows who everyone is.  Large organizations have HR departments.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 11, 2019, 12:48:26 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2019, 12:17:43 PM

There are contracts, they just aren't in writing.  Oral contracts are valid in Anglo-American law subject to certain exceptions.  In small organizations everyone knows who everyone is.  Large organizations have HR departments.

Sure (it's the same in Sweden except when buying real estate and some other cases), but it seems a total hassle for big organizations to keep track of oral contracts, especially when there are disagreements regarding them. I don't see how it's better to do without written contracts.

Barrister

I don't know so much that it's relying on oral contracts, but rather under the common law a lot of common terms are set in the common law, like notice periods.  Such common law provisions can be contracted out of, but in the absence of a clear contract they would apply.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.