Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on January 10, 2019, 11:38:22 AM
The state of political discourse, January 2019:

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
3h3 hours ago

Cryin Chuck told his favorite lie when he used his standard sound bite that I "slammed the table & walked out of the room. He had a temper tantrum." Because I knew he would say that, and after Nancy said no to proper Border Security, I politely said bye-bye and left, no slamming!

In the glass is 1/100 full category, he *is* conceding that tantrums are a bad thing. :thumbsup:

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 10, 2019, 11:41:49 AM
Quote from: Caliga on January 10, 2019, 11:10:07 AM
I was watching John Adams last night.  It's pretty depressing watching that miniseries and then comparing those dudes to the pile of dog shit we have in the White House now.

TAKE US BACK, BRITAIN  :blush:

British politicians c. 2019 aren't much of an upgrade, sad to say.

Open and sincere question: Is Brexit a more world historical failure than the election of Donald Trump?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 10, 2019, 03:07:11 AM
Err, I doubt the producers are doing much testing themselves.  It's not a matter of intentionally letting tainted food through.

I buy all my food products from Whole Foods anyway so I'm safe.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on January 10, 2019, 02:57:22 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 09, 2019, 11:08:01 PM
Better start stocking up on canned goods

https://twitter.com/nytimesbusiness/status/1083167303376781312
QuoteF.D.A. has stopped routine food safety inspections of seafood, fruits, vegetables and many other foods because of the federal government shutdown, said F.D.A. Commissioner Scott Gottlieb on Wednesday.

The way food safety works is, basically the food can just go from the producers to consumers.  It is not practical to inspect the food, test them in laboratories, and wait for the results before the food is allowed to be sold at retail.  The amount of food is just too great, and many of them have limited shelf lives.  The safety inspection is just testing the food in laboratories on a sampling basis.  Even that is very limited because you only test one or two things out of thousands of possibilities, like you only test for lead when in fact there are hundreds of chemicals and bacteria that you can test.  The sale of food is only stopped if the results are not satisfactory.  It mostly works as a deterrent.  In most cases, the threat of sick consumers going public with their stories is a much more effective deterrent. 

Bottom line is, it won't make a difference. 
that's called statistics, Mono.  Short term: no, it won't make a difference.  Long term: Some producers will cheat, lower the quality, mix other stuff, or as it happenned in Quebec in the 60s-70s: sell rotten food.  Or mix even more of other products in grinded meat.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 10, 2019, 12:27:57 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 10, 2019, 11:10:07 AM
I was watching John Adams last night.  It's pretty depressing watching that miniseries and then comparing those dudes to the pile of dog shit we have in the White House now.

TAKE US BACK, BRITAIN  :blush:

Open and sincere question: Is Brexit a more world historical failure than the election of Donald Trump?

It'll depend on long term impact, I'd say. For the moment I'm inclined to say that Brexit is more of a historical failure. Every country has had a moron ruler at some point or the other, and as long as the damage they create is not permanent it can be overcome.

The Brain

The UK has back-to-back morans at the helm. Let's see if the US can keep up.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

I will take their head of state over ours.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on January 10, 2019, 04:26:07 PM
I will take their head of state over ours.

Still not hot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

How long can this shut down continue?

TSA workers mostly live pay check to pay check. If they all quit in a week or two because they're not getting paid and can't afford to work for free, air travel will grind to a halt.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Oexmelin

The White House's Office of Personnel Management suggested bartering for rent, offering services in kind, and consulting with their personal attorney (that they obviously keep on their retinue).

I wish it were a joke: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/opm-shutdown-advice-to-furloughed-workers-try-bartering-for-rent/
Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 10, 2019, 07:11:06 PM
The White House's Office of Personnel Management suggested bartering for rent, offering services in kind, and consulting with their personal attorney (that they obviously keep on their retinue).

I wish it were a joke: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/opm-shutdown-advice-to-furloughed-workers-try-bartering-for-rent/

And they wonder why they're calling out sick.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 10, 2019, 07:11:06 PM

1. It is truly incredible that they came up with that bartering idea.  I never could have thought of that.  That's some real creativity there.

2. I am surprised that a trans-continental wall costs only US$5 billion.  I would imagine that only covers the feasibility study. 

3. I wonder how CdM is doing.

4. Saving money is important. 

Admiral Yi

2. Some portion of the US Mexico border is already covered by a fence/wall.  I think most of Texas and California, with a big gap in Arizona and New Mexico.  He's not trying to build a wall that stretches from ocean to ocean.

Monoriu

I thought he wanted to build a wall, not a fence. 

Zanza

I can see how government can suspend discretionary spending or investment, but just stopping to pay wages on a valid employment contract is something that would be unthinkable and illegal here. I guess I will never get US work relations and why the law apparently makes ordinary workers the victims of a conflict between two branches of government.