News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I think the only thing I've generally had is an offer letter setting out terms of employment and then and employee agreement that I have to sign regarding all the things the company could penalize me for if I don't follow said terms.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

What the hell, no written employment contracts? How are disputes settled?

The Brain

How are the affected federal employees forced to work? Or do they just work for free voluntarily?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on January 11, 2019, 05:56:33 AM

I guess by the employee bending down for the soap.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2019, 06:19:42 AM
How are the affected federal employees forced to work? Or do they just work for free voluntarily?

Well apparently they can't show a contract that says they ought to be paid, so...

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2019, 06:24:44 AM

Well apparently they can't show a contract that says they ought to be paid, so...

Nor that they should work.

garbon

Well people are starting to call out sick. But otherwise, general assumption is that if you stop coming to work, you won't have a job still when the paychecks start arriving again.

If this continues said employees will start looking for other employment opportunities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2019, 06:42:21 AM

Well people are starting to call out sick. But otherwise, general assumption is that if you stop coming to work, you won't have a job still when the paychecks start arriving again.

If this continues said employees will start looking for other employment opportunities.

The US government sounds like a horrible employer.

Syt

I read employers trend increasingly towards having employees agree that any disputes are settled in single arbitration, not a court of law, and that they won't join any class action suits.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2019, 05:18:28 AM

:huh:

who the hell would take a regular job without a written contract?

No protection or rights for me as an employee, huh? I insist on having that put into a written contract so I can sign it immediately!  :P

The Larch

So federal employees are using sick days to avoid having to work for free, and if they don't work for free they might be out of a job in the future? And if this goes on they are free to simply look for other work on the side or instead of their federal jobs?

Isn't all that a bit...lackadaisical?  :unsure:

I read somewhere that the longest a lockdown has gone on in the past is 21 days, so not *much* harm was made, but if this actually goes on for a long time, as Trump seems to want, it's going to create all sorts of havoc.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2019, 07:05:53 AM

I read employers trend increasingly towards having employees agree that any disputes are settled in single arbitration, not a court of law, and that they won't join any class action suits.

I know there's a big cultural divide going on here between the US and the ROTW, but it won't cease to surprise me how helpless US employees seem to be.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on January 11, 2019, 08:01:05 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2019, 07:05:53 AM

I know there's a big cultural divide going on here between the US and the ROTW, but it won't cease to surprise me how helpless US employees seem to be.

I am finding a lot of similiarities in the US and Britain in this thing, that seems like a rather carefree attitude to a lot of aspects of life. In the UK at least, a lot seems to ride on nothing more than the assumption that the other party will not try to fuck you over. I think that actually speaks highly of their society (or at least its history) but for somebody coming from under the more German influence of 'there must be ordnung!', it sure feels lax at times.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on January 11, 2019, 07:59:22 AM

So federal employees are using sick days to avoid having to work for free, and if they don't work for free they might be out of a job in the future? And if this goes on they are free to simply look for other work on the side or instead of their federal jobs?

Isn't all that a bit...lackadaisical?  :unsure:

I read somewhere that the longest a lockdown has gone on in the past is 21 days, so not *much* harm was made, but if this actually goes on for a long time, as Trump seems to want, it's going to create all sorts of havoc.

I mean that if this continues, they will be looking for other full time jobs (leaving vacancies at federal departments). As you've said, it hasn't usually gone on all that long in the past, so it has never caused the true havoc that it can cause.

FunkMonk

Via the WSJ, the Office of Management and Budget is supposedly directing the affected agencies to plan for restoring more government services, which necessarily means bringing thousands more federal workers back to work but without pay.

I'm guessing OMB, and by extension the White House, is anticipating a very long shutdown, and they realize the extent to which it will be a PR nightmare once the shutdown really hits the average American's wallet.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.