News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on January 11, 2019, 01:04:40 AM
2. I am surprised that a trans-continental wall costs only US$5 billion.  I would imagine that only covers the feasibility study. 
Good point, I guess no one takes the wall proposal seriously enough to do a cost study.  In NY, $5 billion would literally buy you a single bridge.  I guess building bridges and not walls is easier said than done.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2019, 01:12:27 AM
2. Some portion of the US Mexico border is already covered by a fence/wall.  I think most of Texas and California, with a big gap in Arizona and New Mexico.  He's not trying to build a wall that stretches from ocean to ocean.

If you look up a map of current fence, it appears Texas barely has any.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 10, 2019, 07:11:06 PM
The White House's Office of Personnel Management suggested bartering for rent

:perv:

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on January 11, 2019, 02:36:48 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 11, 2019, 01:04:40 AM
2. I am surprised that a trans-continental wall costs only US$5 billion.  I would imagine that only covers the feasibility study. 
Good point, I guess no one takes the wall proposal seriously enough to do a cost study.  In NY, $5 billion would literally buy you a single bridge.  I guess building bridges and not walls is easier said than done.

Same in Hong Kong.  US$5 billion here won't get you very far. 

But in a way, building a wall in remote locations may be more expensive, because you need to get workers and material in odd places that may or may not be very accessible. 

Do people really enter the US illegally through gaps in the fence?  Or do they overstay their visas?  Because if it is the latter, building a wall won't help much  :secret:

Sophie Scholl

As a former and possibly future federal employee (National Park Service), I can say that the mood is very, very gloomy among people I know personally and read of online that are still part of the organization.  In one Facebook group I'm a member of with thousands of others, the percentage against Trump and The Wall is probably north of 95%.  Almost without fail, any support he has that I can see is from the Law Enforcement branch of the NPS and older white males and a few females who are either down to volunteer status, retired, or seasonals.  The "partially open" status of parks is a disaster on multiple levels for the NPS.  The parks are being trashed, entry fees that went to a slush fund to help address the millions of dollars in backlogged maintenance issues are now being tapped for bringing back select employees, and the idea that the parks can be run without and staffing is being floated in some circles.  The NPS just celebrated their 100th Anniversary.  I fear they won't survive to celebrate their 110th at this rate...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on January 11, 2019, 01:36:03 AM
I can see how government can suspend discretionary spending or investment, but just stopping to pay wages on a valid employment contract is something that would be unthinkable and illegal here. I guess I will never get US work relations and why the law apparently makes ordinary workers the victims of a conflict between two branches of government.

Yes the whole thing is bizarre.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2019, 02:43:39 AM
2. Some portion of the US Mexico border is already covered by a fence/wall.  I think most of Texas and California, with a big gap in Arizona and New Mexico.  He's not trying to build a wall that stretches from ocean to ocean.

That's because they have this big wet thing called a river.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

I can see how government can suspend discretionary spending or investment, but just stopping to pay wages on a valid employment contract is something that would be unthinkable and illegal here. I guess I will never get US work relations and why the law apparently makes ordinary workers the victims of a conflict between two branches of government.

I don't have a good explanation for you.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 11, 2019, 04:03:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2019, 02:43:39 AM

That's because they have this big wet thing called a river.

OMG, really?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on January 11, 2019, 03:05:48 AM
Do people really enter the US illegally through gaps in the fence?  Or do they overstay their visas?  Because if it is the latter, building a wall won't help much  :secret:

Yes. Yes. You don't say.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 11, 2019, 03:28:29 AM
As a former and possibly future federal employee (National Park Service), I can say that the mood is very, very gloomy among people I know personally and read of online that are still part of the organization.  In one Facebook group I'm a member of with thousands of others, the percentage against Trump and The Wall is probably north of 95%.  Almost without fail, any support he has that I can see is from the Law Enforcement branch of the NPS and older white males and a few females who are either down to volunteer status, retired, or seasonals.  The "partially open" status of parks is a disaster on multiple levels for the NPS.  The parks are being trashed, entry fees that went to a slush fund to help address the millions of dollars in backlogged maintenance issues are now being tapped for bringing back select employees, and the idea that the parks can be run without and staffing is being floated in some circles.  The NPS just celebrated their 100th Anniversary.  I fear they won't survive to celebrate their 110th at this rate...

Once the parks are trashed, no one will complain when they're opened to mining and drilling.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Part of the problem is that the federal government tends to conduct itself as being above the laws it imposes on the rest of us.  Beyond that, I'm not sure what percentage of the federal workforce is unionized;  employees who aren't unionized probably don't have any formal written contract.

Tamas

Quote from: dps on January 11, 2019, 05:11:43 AM
employees who aren't unionized probably don't have any formal written contract.

:huh:

who the hell would take a regular job without a written contract?

dps

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2019, 05:18:28 AM
Quote from: dps on January 11, 2019, 05:11:43 AM
employees who aren't unionized probably don't have any formal written contract.

:huh:

who the hell would take a regular job without a written contract?

Outside of unionized jobs or high-level professional positions, having a written job contract is almost unheard of in the US.  So, basically anyone who wants to have a job in the US.

Tamas