Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

PJL

Quote from: Tamas on November 13, 2018, 05:43:25 PM
Nobody knows exactly what's in the agreement, yet.

Basically there will be a UK wide EU customs backstop which Trump might decide to end if the British want it. Otherwise the British won't be able to do so unilaterally.

Richard Hakluyt

I really doubt whether this will get past parliament.

On the other hand May's travails have demonstrated that there are really only two positions worth taking; so perhaps we could have a further referendum on that choice?

Monoriu

I hope you guys have another referendum.  I don't have any Irish relatives, and I want to continue to use EU citizens lanes when I go to Europe. 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

He was way better than Pierce "I voted Remain but why don't we put a Brexiter in charge to make this into a success?" Morgan.

Richard Hakluyt

Piers Morgan is a great force for British unity though; more than 90% agree that he is a wanker.

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on November 14, 2018, 01:42:02 AM
I hope you guys have another referendum.  I don't have any Irish relatives, and I want to continue to use EU citizens lanes when I go to Europe. 

Actual thing brexiters have said on this: "So what if I can't go in the EU line. Its always much longer. The non EU line is quicker"
██████
██████
██████

ulmont

For the curious, the insomniacs, and the curious insomniacs, the UK / EU draft (as agreed at negotiator's level on 14 November 2018) Brexit Agreement. All 585 pages of it.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/draft_withdrawal_agreement_0.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3qk3x7dQ5MvjZa66Vkab49ZKH_dhTK2mI9LupkU887bSiEOGVXrfPtFBM

How popular is this draft going to be? Let's ask Tony Blair:

QuoteIt isn't a compromise but a capitulation. The withdrawal agreement will keep us tied to EU trade policy until there is an end established by "joint consent" – that means the EU has a veto. It is coated in heavy fudge but that is the inedible biscuit beneath the coating.

As for future arrangements, that is essentially the Chequers proposal which leaves us accepting existing EU rules and agreeing to abide by future ones.

This is Brexit in theory but still tied to Europe in reality, thus making a mockery of the reason for leaving. Whatever people voted for, it wasn't this.
Remainers like me and Leavers like Boris Johnson are now in unholy alliance: we agree this is a pointless Brexit in name only which is not the best of a bad job but the worst of both worlds. In the cause of "taking back control" we lose the control we had.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-latest-tony-blair-speech-second-referendum-final-say-populism-a8632236.html?fbclid=IwAR1IavTu4A8gOXDAdEIiayhH3DaHEEGRdNxsrK9nrkMK9gJbq1zbrV2mRIM

Valmy

Well you are going to be tied to Europe in reality because you are on the European continent. I am sure all the other non-EU nations in Europe could have pointed that out to you. Which is why leaving the EU gives you less control and not more...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

The Withdrawal Agreement seems to be a heavy handed exercise to prevent future UK governments from not honouring their obligations. Shows how little trust there is left for the UK in the EU.

Iormlund

Seeing how the UK as a whole doesn't seem to know what it wants, it is hardly an unreasonable stance.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on November 14, 2018, 04:42:01 PM
Seeing how the UK as a whole doesn't seem to know what it wants, it is hardly an unreasonable stance.

Well right. I liked this quote:

QuoteWhatever people voted for, it wasn't this.

Yes...but how is he sure they did not vote for this? What did they vote for exactly? The answer is nothing because there was no plan to vote for in the plebiscite.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2018, 04:43:57 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on November 14, 2018, 04:42:01 PM

Well right. I liked this quote:

QuoteWhatever people voted for, it wasn't this.

Yes...but how is he sure they did not vote for this? What did they vote for exactly? The answer is nothing because there was no plan to vote for in the plebiscite.

Well I think it isn't hard to believe that anyone who voted for Brexit didn't want same EU rules but no say for Britain.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2018, 04:47:15 PM
Well I think it isn't hard to believe that anyone who voted for Brexit didn't want same EU rules but no say for Britain.

Yeah. It's like the worst of both worlds. Those passports will be blue, though.