Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on October 18, 2018, 01:08:58 PM
Well yes but she won't be able to get it through, and I am also not sure decades of uncertainty, a de facto EU membership that could be overturned in a moment's notice as soon as the wrong kind of government gains power, is a good thing.
Better than the 100% out North Korea come Singapore pariah state Mogg and co are after.
Keeping them at bay is the main problem.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

English-English translation help needed.

The Minsky Moment

Mogg = Jacob Rees-Mogg, a living caricature of a privileged Tory toff who is a leading hard line Brexiterr.
Tory zealots view Singapore as a viable economic model for Britain.
North Korea I guess refers to the restrictive immigration policy (?)

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

North Korea : the ultimate in taking back control, do whatever you want and be a complete outsider not beholden at anyone................there are a few drawbacks though.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 18, 2018, 03:09:16 PM
North Korea : the ultimate in taking back control, do whatever you want and be a complete outsider not beholden at anyone................there are a few drawbacks though.

You have to put up with increasingly awkward and frequent meetings with Trump.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 18, 2018, 02:55:42 PM
Mogg = Jacob Rees-Mogg, a living caricature of a privileged Tory toff who is a leading hard line Brexiterr.
Tory zealots view Singapore as a viable economic model for Britain.
North Korea I guess refers to the restrictive immigration policy (?)

I get the references, it's the syntax I need help with.  100% out North Korea come Singapore? :unsure:

garbon

Clegg lands on his feet.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/oct/19/facebook-hires-nick-clegg-as-head-of-global-affairs

QuoteFacebook hires Nick Clegg as head of global affairs

Facebook has hired Nick Clegg, the former UK deputy prime minister, as its head of global affairs and communications.

Clegg, 51, has been hired as Facebook struggles to cope with mounting political pressure over issues including fake news, data protection and the threat of government regulation.

The former head of the Liberal Democrats will move to Silicon Valley in January, the FT reported. He will succeed Elliot Schrage, who announced in June that he was leaving Facebook after a decade.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Devout Christian who pretended to be a liberal, and destroyed the liberal party, now takes over relationship management for Facebook. Match made in heaven!

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 19, 2018, 08:08:08 AM
Devout Christian who pretended to be a liberal, and destroyed the liberal party, now takes over relationship management for Facebook. Match made in heaven!

Are you maybe attacking Tim Farron? :hmm:

Clegg's failure was the LibDems agreeing to be part of the Coalition gov't and then acting like a Tory servant.

edit: And Clegg is on record as not believe in God
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2018, 09:09:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 19, 2018, 08:08:08 AM

Are you maybe attacking Tim Farron? :hmm:

Clegg's failure was the LibDems agreeing to be part of the Coalition gov't and then acting like a Tory servant.

edit: And Clegg is on record as not believe in God

:D

I was confused by his post, but couldn't quite put my finger on what was odd or wrong, thanks Gaby.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Right so Farron is the Christian, but Clegg can be blamed for becoming a Tory vassal.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on October 19, 2018, 09:55:08 AM
Right so Farron is the Christian, but Clegg can be blamed for becoming a Tory vassal.

The Coalition government was vastly superior to the Tory government that followed though.

Tamas

Josquius

Clegg's mistake was in accepting the Tory's AV referendum. They manipulated it using the sort of tactics they'd later perfect in the brexit referendum. Not that it should ever have been something that went to referendum
██████
██████
██████