Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on March 02, 2024, 06:07:31 AMMeanwhile the Tyne Bridge repairs are underway with the Department for Transport providing about 80% of the funding.

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/26870/Tyne-Bridge-restoration-funding-confirmed

You must live in some kind of alternative reality Jos

I note you omit the bit where local councils have been trying to get this funding for a decade and a half.
In the process of this vital work going undone what should have been a relatively simple paint job has blossomed into repairing very serious structural issues.

I wasn't aware Hammersmith had issues again. The initial problem however was national news and saw a quick response.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Sheilbh

Also just to flag the impact of austerity disproportionately hit Labour councils because it was, say, a 10% cut to central government funding to all councils applied equally. That meant the effect was bigger the more you relied on central funding v had a well off local tax base.

But that also includes lots of London boroughs, and many of the most deprived areas and areas with the highest need for loca council spending (homelessness, social care for children and adults etc) are in London. It is not all Kensington and Chelsea.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

QuoteAlso just to flag the impact of austerity disproportionately hit Labour councils because it was, say, a 10% cut to central government funding to all councils applied equally. That meant the effect was bigger the more you relied on central funding v had a well off local tax base.

On the surface a perhaps innocent explanation. But there we come to the difference between equality and equity.

Left field analogy; without gay relationships having any legal recognition everyone still has equal rights. Everyone is free to marry someone of the opposite sex. This is equal.
But its an equality that doesn't particularly work for gay people for obvious reasons.
With legalised gay marriage, pushing forward the law in a way that specifically helps this minority, you get a more equitable equality.

Finances work similarly.
Say everyone pays a 40% tax rate then that sucks for the man on 100k a year losing £40,000, but it will hurt the person on £20,000 with a substantially smaller drop a lot more.

QuoteBut that also includes lots of London boroughs, and many of the most deprived areas and areas with the highest need for loca council spending (homelessness, social care for children and adults etc) are in London. It is not all Kensington and Chelsea.

London's poverty is very different to that which you'll find in much of the country though. Very different causes and without clear affordable fixes that would lead to massive improvement.

Quote from: Gups on March 02, 2024, 08:15:07 AMWhat was the nature of the quick response?
Outrage. Work to figure out repairs. Solid plan for partial reopening within a year or two.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Sounds more like a quick PR response rather than something actually being done quickly.  That is par for the course everywhere.

Josquius

Two bits of May election news today.

1: Theresa May says she won't run in the next election. Wonder if her seat is at risk?

2: Rumours aplenty of an election in May. Money is still on autumn but... It would be nice to get it done.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/budget-may-election-fever-experts-predict-rishi-sunak-best-option-2945553
██████
██████
██████

Syt

According to my calendar, 30 years ago today, the Anglican Church in Britain annointed their first two female priests (pastors? clerics? vicars? :P ). :cheers:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

The current dianne abbot racism stuff...
Actually watching the footage from parliament is quite damning.
They spent a lot of time discussing this incident... But the speaker completely blanked the woman herself when she wanted to say something and wouldn't let her speak at all.
There should be a rule about this.
Certainly doesn't reflect well especially given the topic
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on March 13, 2024, 05:06:37 PMThe current dianne abbot racism stuff...
Actually watching the footage from parliament is quite danning.
They spent a lot of time discussing this incident... But the speaker completely blanked the woman herself when she wanted to say something and wouldn't let her speak at all.
There should be a rule about this.
Certainly doesn't reflect well especially given the topic

Yeah quite revealing.

Richard Hakluyt

A bit clueless of him. Maybe he should have gone to specsavers or is he part of the problem.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Not too late to correct an historic mistake. :shifty:
Macron would be make a terrific Emperor!

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points