News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I'm fairly certain that New Jersey is a better place than Missouri.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2021, 05:12:05 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 15, 2021, 05:08:21 PM
Duke Lacrosse reference?

Almost certainly.

Jacob:  number of years ago members of the Duke Lacrosse team were accused of rape by a stripper and were charged with same after a team party.  Ultimately charges were dropped and prosecutor resigned.  Was a big story at the time (white Duke kids, black accuser, black prosecutor).

it was a bit more than that.  The accused were kicked out of school, the accuser told wildly different stories about the case (and who the perpetrators were), the woman who was with the accuser stated that she was with her the whole time and there was no rape, several people the accuser identified as having been present during the attack had undeniable evidence that they were elsewhere in the state, and the prosecutor was disbarred and jailed for making false and misleading claims to the court during hearings.  The case was prosecutorial misconduct on an unbelievable scale.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

I'm in a seminar for work about "How to connect with a mentor". It's interesting-ish, but the presenter is so Southern Californian that it's  hard to take anything she says seriously. Mind, this is not a young woman. She's gotta' be close to my age. Still, her accent is annoying as fuck, she's way too chipper for anyone of any age, and her jokes are overly stupid.

On top of that, she's hyped up her TedTalk at least 10 times in the last nine minutes. Oh, and she wrote a book! Did I mention that she's written a book? SUPER cool she wrote a book!

This may be why I've never much cared about going to L.A. :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on April 15, 2021, 07:13:28 PM
I'm in a seminar for work about "How to connect with a mentor". It's interesting-ish, but the presenter is so Southern Californian that it's  hard to take anything she says seriously. Mind, this is not a young woman. She's gotta' be close to my age. Still, her accent is annoying as fuck, she's way too chipper for anyone of any age, and her jokes are overly stupid.

On top of that, she's hyped up her TedTalk at least 10 times in the last nine minutes. Oh, and she wrote a book! Did I mention that she's written a book? SUPER cool she wrote a book!

Have you made 'friends' with Joni Mitchell by accident?

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

It is called "Lower California" for a reason.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2021, 03:17:00 PM
Americans rank the 50 states and DC:

Florida? Really?

Lovely place October-April.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Hmm, Arkansas or New Jersey?  Let me think about that one for a moment.  :hmm:  :rolleyes:

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2021, 06:30:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2021, 05:12:05 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 15, 2021, 05:08:21 PM
Duke Lacrosse reference?

Almost certainly.

Jacob:  number of years ago members of the Duke Lacrosse team were accused of rape by a stripper and were charged with same after a team party.  Ultimately charges were dropped and prosecutor resigned.  Was a big story at the time (white Duke kids, black accuser, black prosecutor).

it was a bit more than that.  The accused were kicked out of school, the accuser told wildly different stories about the case (and who the perpetrators were), the woman who was with the accuser stated that she was with her the whole time and there was no rape, several people the accuser identified as having been present during the attack had undeniable evidence that they were elsewhere in the state, and the prosecutor was disbarred and jailed for making false and misleading claims to the court during hearings.  The case was prosecutorial misconduct on an unbelievable scale.

I'm shocked that you think my two line summary of events didn't cover enough detail.  Shocked I say!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I believe my whole family is from Southern California. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any of them like that. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2021, 11:40:38 PM
I'm shocked that you think my two line summary of events didn't cover enough detail.  Shocked I say!

I'm shocked that you thought that you were conveying the significance of the Duke Lacrosse case to Jacob in your two-line summary of events.  Shocked, I say!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2021, 01:58:04 AM

I believe my whole family is from Southern California. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any of them like that. ;)

Yeah, when I lived there you'd run into the occasional Valley Girl or Valley Dude, but most folks were just folks.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on April 15, 2021, 10:38:34 PM
Hmm, Arkansas or New Jersey?  Let me think about that one for a moment.  :hmm:  :rolleyes:

Yes?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Good piece in the Economist on the risk of Europe's Calhounian moment - other countries are looking at the German Constitutional Court's approach on EU matters as a bit of a model. The Polish government is going to the Polish courts because they argue that certain European laws conflict with Poland's constitutional order.

There's similar huge pushback by the French state regarding European rulings on retention of data which impacts intelligence services in Europe and the French consider unconstitutional. At least the French are considering resolving this by potentially amending the treaties rather than domestic judicial supremacy.

But it's very striking.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2021, 04:02:35 PM
Nevada is #4? :yeahright:

There is probably a huge portion of (Trump) Americans that only translated that as "Vegas baby!" and voted accordingly.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 16, 2021, 09:51:41 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2021, 04:02:35 PM
Nevada is #4? :yeahright:

There is probably a huge portion of (Trump) Americans that only translated that as "Vegas baby!" and voted accordingly.

So I see this a lot--that Vegas is very Trumpy--but...Nevada is a blue state (though not as blue as a place like California) and Vegas is the super democratic part of the state. Based on zero data and just my own guess, I bet most people who visit Vegas are democrats or lean that way (pulls disproportionately from S. California, attracts a younger crowd, probably pulls disportionately from more secular / less religious people).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014