And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2021, 12:06:42 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2021, 10:37:08 AM
See this is the sh*t that makes me think the left is only marginally less racist than the right, they just approach it with a different tone:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/12/hideki-matsuyama-masters-victory-asian-americans

QuoteHideki Matsuyama is Japanese but his victory matters for Asian Americans

It's a bloody golf tournament. Why on Earth does that have to be made about race, why do we have to insist that race categorisation enters absolutely everything? Sure, there are instances where progressives should highlight the racial element like how a black person is in danger of being shot every time they are stopped by the police. But would it not be in non-racist interest to avoid racial overtones on topics absolutely and entirely unconnected to race?

Of the fact that Americans should be rooting for Japanese athletes over American ones. It is almost endorsing the kind of logic that led to Japanese Americans being interred during WWII, that they are more loyal to Japan than the United States.

I fail to see how those things are similar.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 12, 2021, 10:48:09 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2021, 10:37:08 AM
See this is the sh*t that makes me think the left is only marginally less racist than the right, they just approach it with a different tone:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/12/hideki-matsuyama-masters-victory-asian-americans

QuoteHideki Matsuyama is Japanese but his victory matters for Asian Americans
The biggest culture clash on this for me was the French World Cup team which progressives in the US and Marine Le Pen in France hailed as an African victory.

It was not Marine le Pen actually. That's the line of her father since the second half of the '90s.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 12, 2021, 01:16:26 PM
It was not Marine le Pen actually. That's the line of her father since the second half of the '90s.
Fair - she didn't say it about a successful world cup team, but didn't she blame the lack of success and discord on players having "another nationality in their hearts"?

That is, in a way, a neat summary of the shift from her father :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

https://twitter.com/GrumpySkeletor/status/1381697617021833217?s=20

QuoteGrumpySkeletor
@GrumpySkeletor
·
10m
Ram-Man is celebrating releasing his new album today with He-Man but I'm not entirely convinced that's the best hashtag to be using to promote it.

#rammanalbumparty

:lmfao:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2021, 03:07:05 PM
https://twitter.com/GrumpySkeletor/status/1381697617021833217?s=20

QuoteGrumpySkeletor
@GrumpySkeletor
·
10m
Ram-Man is celebrating releasing his new album today with He-Man but I'm not entirely convinced that's the best hashtag to be using to promote it.

#rammanalbumparty

:lmfao:

They knew.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

I've discovered a site where you can custom order blue plaques.
I'm tempted to put one up on my garden wall.
Something like in this house in the 2050s lived Joe Bloggs, inventor of time travel, lived 2028-1652
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 12, 2021, 01:28:33 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 12, 2021, 01:16:26 PM
Fair - she didn't say it about a successful world cup team, but didn't she blame the lack of success and discord on players having "another nationality in their hearts"?

That is, in a way, a neat summary of the shift from her father :P

Maybe her that time but it sounds more like lots of people said, not just from the FN/RN, about the pitiful 2010 squad in Knysna following the bus strike.

I'd be curious to see your source though.  :P

mongers

Having an evening cup of cocoa ( :bowler: ) , I thought 'this isn't exactly burning the candle at both ends, is it' .

So asked myself what might be more fitting and a good antonym to that expression?

I think 'spoiling the wick with too much spit' might be a good fit?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Don't ever change mongers.  :D

HVC

Is this what English people sound like when they're high? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

From a professor of Roman history:
QuoteDr. Sarah Bond
@SarahEBond
People out here getting upset about a battle that happened over 2,000 years ago and sending me emails. C'mon guys, there is much more to care about in the world.

So there are Battle of Teutoburg truthers now? :blink: :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Just because the battle precise localisation is still controversial? Wow. I believe Kalkriese is now somewhat consensual.

Still, truth for Varus!  :lol:

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Not gonna lie, I'm at least curious to hear about why they think it's not true and what implications they think it has.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on April 14, 2021, 08:40:40 AM
Not gonna lie, I'm at least curious to hear about why they think it's not true and what implications they think it has.
Also what prompted him (I assume it's a man) to write that email :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!