News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

FDP is not a bad fit for Macron, as a matter of fact.

Tamas

See this is the sh*t that makes me think the left is only marginally less racist than the right, they just approach it with a different tone:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/12/hideki-matsuyama-masters-victory-asian-americans

QuoteHideki Matsuyama is Japanese but his victory matters for Asian Americans

It's a bloody golf tournament. Why on Earth does that have to be made about race, why do we have to insist that race categorisation enters absolutely everything? Sure, there are instances where progressives should highlight the racial element like how a black person is in danger of being shot every time they are stopped by the police. But would it not be in non-racist interest to avoid racial overtones on topics absolutely and entirely unconnected to race?

Grey Fox

We don't. Americans do. It is the failure of the UK if it enters it too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Reports of Turkey/Erdogan supporting Ukraine being in NATO.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2021, 10:37:08 AM
See this is the sh*t that makes me think the left is only marginally less racist than the right, they just approach it with a different tone:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/12/hideki-matsuyama-masters-victory-asian-americans

The biggest culture clash on this for me was the French World Cup team which progressives in the US and Marine Le Pen in France hailed as an African victory.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 12, 2021, 10:48:09 AM

The biggest culture clash on this for me was the French World Cup team which progressives in the US and Marine Le Pen in France hailed as an African victory.

What is especially infuriating is that the premise seems to be that a Japanese guy's sport success should validate the worth of Asians in the US who have had an increase in racist attacks due to covid and whatnot.

I mean, where do you even begin with that? The fact that the supposedly anti-racist author stops at the "they have the same funny-shaped eyes" level when it comes to differentiating between Asians, or that the supposedly anti-racist author feels like the Asians need to validate themselves as wortwhile via succeeding in sport?

This is, quite simply, a racist article. Just because it is patronisingly condescending instead of just simply condenscending doesn't change that.

Sheilbh

There is an alarming bit of extremely dodgy ideas or consequences but somehow progressive on the sort of Twitter left. I remember seeing someone having a go at Kamala Harris, AOC and another Democrat - I can't remember who - for having white partners :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

It's a bloody golf tournament. Why on Earth does that have to be made about race, why do we have to insist that race categorisation enters absolutely everything? Sure, there are instances where progressives should highlight the racial element like how a black person is in danger of being shot every time they are stopped by the police. But would it not be in non-racist interest to avoid racial overtones on topics absolutely and entirely unconnected to race?

Why are we still going with the attacked in Georgia was inspired by racism thing?  I thought it was inspired by misogyny and a really demented religion thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

There's definitely been a spike in racism against East Asians out of corona, no matter whether a particular case was an example of this or not.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

That pissed me off. Many of those players could have played for an African team if they wanted to but they chose to play for France...is it too much to ask people to respect their agency there?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2021, 11:03:06 AM

What is especially infuriating is that the premise seems to be that a Japanese guy's sport success should validate the worth of Asians in the US who have had an increase in racist attacks due to covid and whatnot.

I mean, where do you even begin with that? The fact that the supposedly anti-racist author stops at the "they have the same funny-shaped eyes" level when it comes to differentiating between Asians, or that the supposedly anti-racist author feels like the Asians need to validate themselves as wortwhile via succeeding in sport?

This is, quite simply, a racist article. Just because it is patronisingly condescending instead of just simply condenscending doesn't change that.

Feels like you have a bone to pick. ;)

I would agree that I don't think sporting prowess is something to get excited about but I can understand that visibility and visibility outside of 'stereotypes' can have a positive impact.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Of the fact that Americans should be rooting for Japanese athletes over American ones. It is almost endorsing the kind of logic that led to Japanese Americans being interred during WWII, that they are more loyal to Japan than the United States.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2021, 12:05:47 PM

I would agree that I don't think sporting prowess is something to get excited about but I can understand that visibility and visibility outside of 'stereotypes' can have a positive impact.

I guess. But decades of success by Asian athletes has already occurred. If that didn't convince you that those stereotypes are wrong then one golf victory is unlikely to do so.

Liep

Quote from: Habbaku on April 12, 2021, 10:43:18 AM
Reports of Turkey/Erdogan supporting Ukraine being in NATO.  :lol:

And Russia has now stopped all flights to Turkey. Because of Covid...
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2021, 12:08:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2021, 12:05:47 PM

I guess. But decades of success by Asian athletes has already occurred. If that didn't convince you that those stereotypes are wrong then one golf victory is unlikely to do so.

Agreed
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.