News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Because they're a public service broadcaster the BBC have to publish details of complaints they receive however ridiculous - and thankfully some journalists go through the releses to find the best ones (none of which were upheld).

Recent favourite is a complaint about Strictly Come Dancing for "blatant projection of homosexuality" :lol:

I feel like you can reject that complaint - but it's not entirely wrong :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 15, 2021, 08:39:19 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2021, 04:35:41 AM
From a professor of Roman history:
QuoteDr. Sarah Bond
@SarahEBond
People out here getting upset about a battle that happened over 2,000 years ago and sending me emails. C'mon guys, there is much more to care about in the world.

So there are Battle of Teutoburg truthers now? :blink: :lol:

QUINTILIUS VARUS, GIVE ME BACK MY-oh nevermind they're right here j/k.

No matter what you lose, the answer always is: they were under the sofa cushions the whole time.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on April 14, 2021, 12:39:53 PM
Come to think of it. There is that nutty Russian guy who insists all of history took place over a millennium or so and is confused. Muddy deluge, Kazararia et al. Wonder if they're related.
You mean Garry Kasparov?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on April 15, 2021, 10:53:43 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 14, 2021, 12:39:53 PM
Come to think of it. There is that nutty Russian guy who insists all of history took place over a millennium or so and is confused. Muddy deluge, Kazararia et al. Wonder if they're related.
You mean Garry Kasparov?
No, Kasparov drank the kool-aid, he didn't concoct it.  Fomenko was the one who came up with the theory.

Caliga

Oh, right.  Well if Kasparov drank the Kool-Aid he still would be a 'nutty Russian guy who insists all of history took place over a millennium or so'. :sleep:

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on April 15, 2021, 11:02:08 AM
Oh, right.  Well if Kasparov drank the Kool-Aid he still would be a 'nutty Russian guy who insists all of history took place over a millennium or so'. :sleep:
There would be a lot of such guys then.  Russian education system is very good in some ways, but it is catastrophically bad about nurturing critical thinking.  That is why a lot of normally intelligent and highly educated Soviet citizens can be very easily convinced to believe in all kinds of ridiculous nonsense; they have a little knowledge in a wide array of subjects, but not enough sound judgment to realize how dangerous that little knowledge is.

Caliga

PDH

Quote from: DGuller on April 15, 2021, 11:08:42 AM
There would be a lot of such guys then.  Russian education system is very good in some ways, but it is catastrophically bad about nurturing critical thinking.  That is why a lot of normally intelligent and highly educated Soviet citizens can be very easily convinced to believe in all kinds of ridiculous nonsense; they have a little knowledge in a wide array of subjects, but not enough sound judgment to realize how dangerous that little knowledge is.

Just the kind of thing a Russian spy would say!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2021, 11:49:08 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 14, 2021, 10:46:46 AM
That's lightweight stuff...try going around saying there is no archaeological evidence that Jesus ever existed.

Do we even have archeological evidence that ancient rome existed?
No, these structures were built by giants roaming the Earth.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2021, 10:59:27 PM

In SPQR Mary Beard talks about a fragment of a tablet or plaque inscribed with the early Latin (pre-Latin?) word for king.  She also mentions burial sites dating back to like the 9th century BC.
It's only there to test your Faith.  :sleep:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on April 15, 2021, 02:05:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2021, 10:59:27 PM

In SPQR Mary Beard talks about a fragment of a tablet or plaque inscribed with the early Latin (pre-Latin?) word for king.  She also mentions burial sites dating back to like the 9th century BC.
It's only there to test your Faith.  :sleep:

For Virgil tells me so?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Americans rank the 50 states and DC:

Florida? Really?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Maybe Americans do the same as Europeans and just think of Florida as Disneyland and holidays with the shitty part being alabama.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The shitty part (the panhandle) is Alabama.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on April 15, 2021, 03:26:41 PM
Maybe Americans do the same as Europeans and just think of Florida as Disneylandworld and holidays with the shitty part being alabama.

FYP

Disneyland is in California. :smarty:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...