The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

The language in Sweden is Swedish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on February 19, 2021, 12:01:22 PM
mandarin is also from portuguese so that might be a tie in the the orange/portugal thing

Tangerina (Al-Gharb connection?) is the more commonly used word in Portuguese though. Brazil may be different.

As for Mandarin, the Longman refers to two etymologies, for separate meanings:

Origin mandarin 1. (1700-1800) French mandarine, from Spanish mandarina, probably from mandarín 'MANDARIN3'; perhaps because mandarins wore orange-colored clothes. 2. (1500-1600) Portuguese mandarim, from Malay menteri, from Sanskrit mantrin "adviser", from mantra; → MANTRA Mandarin (1700-1800) mandarin

Josquius

If an orange is a tangerina what is a tangerine? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 19, 2021, 06:23:41 AM
Alas, with all the crappiness on Earth, that we landed a rover, equipped with a freakin' helicopter, on Mars, is blasé news.

Where is Timmah when you need him.

SF City Hall illuminated to mark the occasion.

:ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on February 19, 2021, 12:48:56 PM
If an orange is a tangerina what is a tangerine? :hmm:

Good thing an orange, of which there are several kinds, is not a tangerine per se, then, I guess. :P [spoiler]Tangerina is the Portuguese name of the mandarin[/spoiler]

Here is one in French for you:

a mandarine is a clémentine.  :D

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 19, 2021, 01:20:21 PM

Over here mandarine is smaller than a clementine which is smaller than an orange. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Is the tangerine a hybrid or a natural species?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2021, 01:32:57 PM

Over here mandarine is smaller than a clementine which is smaller than an orange. :P
I know what an orange is. I have literally no idea on the differences between mandarins, clementines, satsumas or easy-peelers :lol:

Edit: And I forgot tangerines!
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Satsuma or Mandarine has no seeds, I forget which is which :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Yeah, tha'ts the crazy french thing. We switched mandarine & clementine around.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

And nobody mentioned tangerines yet!  :P At the end of the day they're all different varieties of the same plant. The whole citrus family is a weird mix of hybrids.

Duque de Bragança

[spoiler]Here is one in French for you:[/spoiler]

Selective quoting, I see.  :P
Fixed!

Though The Larch has yet to pick up the tangerina train.  :D

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2021, 01:34:24 PM
Is the tangerine a hybrid or a natural species?

Depends on the language, and language level i.e common parlance or not.

In French, for Tyr:

QuoteCLÉMENTINE, subst. fém.
Fruit comestible proche de la mandarine :
À la mandarine « commune » on préfère maintenant la « clémentine », qui s'est imposée par sa précocité, son aspermie et sa saveur très agréable.
J.-F. LEROY, Les Fruits tropicaux et subtropicaux, Paris, P.U.F., 1968, p. 66.
Prononc. : []. Étymol. et Hist. 1929 (Lar. 20e). Dér. avec suff. -ine* du nom du Père Clément qui obtint ce fruit, vers 1902, en Oranie, par croisement d'un mandarinier et d'un oranger amer (DEI).

The Larch

A tangerine is a hybrid between a mandarin and a pomelo. A clementine is a hybrid between a mandarin and a sweet orange. The sweet orange itself is also a hybrid, between pomelo and mandarin.

Basically all citrus are hybrids in different degrees of three ancestral plants, "true" mandarins, pomelos and citrons.