News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I had no idea citrus fruits were so complicated.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

now look up at the variations of Brassica oleracea
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2021, 02:28:45 PM
A tangerine is a hybrid between a mandarin and a pomelo. A clementine is a hybrid between a mandarin and a sweet orange. The sweet orange itself is also a hybrid, between pomelo and mandarin.

Basically all citrus are hybrids in different degrees of three ancestral plants, "true" mandarins, pomelos and citrons.

Fascinating.  I had no idea.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on February 19, 2021, 02:43:43 PM

The wonderful world of wild cabbages!  :lol: Did you watch this week's Atlas Pro video on the geography of vegetables?  :P

To summarize, kale, collard greens, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbages and a few other veggies are all different varieties of the same plant, the aforementioned Brassica oleracea, developed over time in different places.

Admiral Yi

This is all very interesting, but doesn't this discussion belong in either the Brexit or Covid thread?

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2021, 03:17:14 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 19, 2021, 02:43:43 PM

The wonderful world of wild cabbages!  :lol: Did you watch this week's Atlas Pro video on the geography of vegetables?  :P

To summarize, kale, collard greens, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbages and a few other veggies are all different varieties of the same plant, the aforementioned Brassica oleracea, developed over time in different places.

Nope, but maybe i will. i just knew about the cabbage thing for a while and always found it interesting. i did have to look up the name of the original plant, though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2021, 03:19:34 PM
This is all very interesting, but doesn't this discussion belong in either the Brexit or Covid thread?

Not enough Civil War for those places.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

ulmont

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 19, 2021, 11:57:39 AM
Anyways, time for the etymology map:

Immediate reaction:  what the fuck is up with the tip of...oh, right, Brezhoneg.

Josquius

Interesting thing today to make people feel old.
It's now 38 years since the NES was released.
Japanese twitter has been blowing up over the fact when the NES was released it was 38 years since WW2.
People talking about the NES today are the same as old dudes from back then going on about the war.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Covid vaccinations start in Australia who somehow manage to make it look like a hostage video :lol:

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

One of the better pieces by Daily Mail.