News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Thats a trap for computers isn't it?
25% would be correct with 4 different ones which means its 50% which means its not 25% which means....
Yeah... I guess 0 is a saver since there is no correct answer.... but wait. Then that means its 25%....

Not real I hope?
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2021, 07:05:24 AM
For the learned folk of Languish who understand probabilities better than I do. :P

:grr:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2021, 08:23:01 AM
25% would be correct with 4 different ones which means its 50% which means its not 25% which means....
Yeah... I guess 0 is a saver since there is no correct answer.... but wait. Then that means its 25%....

Not real I hope?

Isn't it just C though? :unsure:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on February 18, 2021, 09:39:48 AM

Not real I hope?

That's what I thought.

Agelastus

There's Quora Threads on the subject, one of which has about 380 replies.

This "question" has been around since at least 2011.

Looking at a few of the answers one could almost write a philosophical tract about the issues around the puzzle and its' wording.

[Not that I'm interested enough to wade too deeply into the issue.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Quote from: Liep on February 18, 2021, 09:39:48 AM

Not real I hope?

https://www.quora.com/If-you-choose-an-answer-to-this-question-at-random-what-is-the-chance-you-will-be-correct-A-25-B-50-C-60-D-25

[Apparently the question is out there in forms that give 60% instead of 0% as the fourth answer, and the order of the answers is altered. Some of the replies have notes that they have amended various bits of their answer as the question changes over the years.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Malthus

The trick here is the assumption one of the answers must be correct. None are in this case.

Proof: there are four answers one can pick, so the odds must be one of 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% or 100%.

0% isn't a possible answer. The reason: there is an answer that is 0%, and so it can be chosen; there is a 25% chance of picking it at random.

25% isn't a possible answer. The reason: there are two of them, so there is a 50% chance of choosing it.

50% isn't a possible answer. The reason: there is only one of it, and so only a 25% chance of choosing it.

75 and 100% are not choices.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2021, 01:07:16 PM
The trick here is the assumption one of the answers must be correct. None are in this case.

Proof: there are four answers one can pick, so the odds must be one of 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% or 100%.

0% isn't a possible answer. The reason: there is an answer that is 0%, and so it can be chosen; there is a 25% chance of picking it at random.

25% isn't a possible answer. The reason: there are two of them, so there is a 50% chance of choosing it.

50% isn't a possible answer. The reason: there is only one of it, and so only a 25% chance of choosing it.

Yes, here is a variant that is more obvious :

Who is the current monarch of the UK?

A. Henry IV
B. Charles II
C. William the Conqueror
D. Henry IV

Barrister

But the question isn't "which is the correct answer".  The question is "if you select at random, what are the odds you'll select the right answer".  Which is C - 50%.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2021, 01:35:43 PM

But the question isn't "which is the correct answer".  The question is "if you select at random, what are the odds you'll select the right answer".  Which is C - 50%.

But if C is the right answer, the chance of landing on it is only 25% ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

But you only have 25% of selecting that one.

Josquius

I guess you have to ignore what the answers actually say and arbitrarily one of them is right so it must be 25%?
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Exactly. And if you select that, it incorrect, because the odds of selecting that are only 25%.

It's self-referential, which is why there is no correct answer. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius