News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

60% of the time it works every time.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2021, 09:31:46 AM
What's the question? :unsure:

"If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance that you will be correct?"
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I think BB is correct. If you choose at random, there is a 50% chance you'll choose one of the answers on the right.  :smarty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Michel Barnier tweeting about his meeting with French unions and how close he was to the European union movement during Brexit negotiations :hmm:

From what I understand that's probably the pandemic equivalent of an American politician turning up at a diner in Iowa 2 years out from an election :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2021, 05:19:57 PM
From what I understand that's probably the pandemic equivalent of an American politician turning up at a diner in Iowa 2 years out from an election :o

So a normal election then?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 06:23:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 17, 2021, 04:17:49 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 03:37:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2021, 03:31:31 PM
Plenty of room for an island or bar.  Builders fucked up.
The problem with islands or bars is that they're wasting space, just like a separate kitchen does.  Here, when you don't need that space for kitchen stuff, you can use it for other things, or just to feel like you have a lot of space in your apartment.  The island would block off the space opposite the counters, so it's not useful for anything else.

Pre-COVID, how often did you entertain? And when you did, for how many people? Not an indictment; just asking for data points.
It's a pretty rude not an indictment.

:blink:

Why?

My daughter entertains, but never has more than one or two people. She's an introvert, so it's what she prefers. A small kitchen isn't an impediment for her style of entertaining.

I am an extrovert, and generally have 6 or 7 people (or more) at any given time. Kitchen space is at a premium for me.

I think you're looking for insult where none was intended.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

Alas, with all the crappiness on Earth, that we landed a rover, equipped with a freakin' helicopter, on Mars, is blasé news.

Where is Timmah when you need him.

Syt

I approve of the dress style of the Romanian PM:

:D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Clip's just come out of Johnson starting a meeting of pre-G7 plans with the G7 countries and nice to know that everyone faces the same issues: "Angela, I think you need to go on mute" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2021, 08:29:51 AM
I approve of the dress style of the Romanian PM:

:D

Before you ask, Portugal is only involved etymologically with oranges in some countries.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 19, 2021, 11:22:03 AM

Before you ask, Portugal is only involved etymologically with oranges in some countries.

Interesting. :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on February 19, 2021, 11:49:28 AM

I think it's similar to Mandarins here - either location or first importer into Europe?
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 19, 2021, 11:50:20 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 19, 2021, 11:49:28 AM

I think it's similar to Mandarins here - either location or first importer into Europe?

Mandarine is used in French too, along with clémentine.
Maybe so, but it took a stronger hold outside of Europe, though the formal Arabic burtuqal is often replaced by limon in North Africa for instance.

Anyways, time for the etymology map:

HVC

mandarin is also from portuguese so that might be a tie in the the orange/portugal thing
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.