News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Well, they were both ground engagements, seen as a surrendering of initiative, and bled dry the air power of the respective faction?

But yeah, I don't necessarily agree either.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Habbaku on May 01, 2011, 06:01:34 PM
I think that Midway was a much worse loss for the Japanese than Stalingrad was for the Krauts.
Absolutely.  Stalingrad was a turning of the tide, but the German Army remained a powerful, dangerous force. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Well, Guadalcanal didn't see the same number of soldiers that some other Pacific battles had.  The numbers present for both sides were somewhat modest.  Okinawa saw much higher numbers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2011, 07:21:07 PM
Well, Guadalcanal didn't see the same number of soldiers that some other Pacific battles had.  The numbers present for both sides were somewhat modest.  Okinawa saw much higher numbers.
Yeah, but Okinawa was the equivalent of the Soviets butchering their way through East Prussia.  There was no question the war was won at that point, it was just the mopping up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I think that Midway was a much worse loss for the Japanese than Stalingrad was for the Krauts.

Agree.  At least the Germans possessed the ability to stabilize the picture and conduct counteroffensives until Bagration raped them like the entire Von Trapp family caught behind the lines.

katmai

What the heck is Obama about to announce?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on May 01, 2011, 09:29:51 PM

Surrendering to Libya, maybe?

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2011, 09:32:37 PM

McCain wouldn't have surrendered!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on May 01, 2011, 09:33:18 PM

He would've gotten his A-4 shot down in the Gulf of Sidra.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2011, 11:57:51 PM

After blowing up the USS Ronald Reagan.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2011, 11:57:51 PM

Lay off the future father in law!

Admiral Yi

I think something like 1/6 of the troops on the Eastern Front were surrounded in Stalingrad.

Caliga

Don't confuse America with France plz.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Jesus Christ.  My little cat has figured out how to get out when I only have the screen door closed and the sliding door to the backyard open:  She takes a running start and just throws her whole body against the screen, knocking it off its tracks and runs out into the yard.  :blink:  She freaked herself out the first time and was all puffed up and hiding under the grill, but has since done it two more times and is all cool with it now.  No more fresh air for me.