News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Someone painted a swastika on the car of a Turkish immigrant family in Germany. The police say they can't confirm right-wing motives. The family have been asked to remove the swastika a.s.a.p., because they would otherwise run afoul of the ban on symbols of anti-constitutional organizations.

:rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Sounds like the fire department lecturing a black family to put out the burning cross on their lawn because it creates a fire hazard.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2015, 12:57:17 AM
:lol: No, no they really aren't

Give it time. They'll be back eventually, though I don't think it'll somehow make BB fashionable (not that he'll care).

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2015, 12:27:41 PM
Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2015, 12:57:17 AM
:lol: No, no they really aren't

Give it time. They'll be back eventually, though I don't think it'll somehow make BB fashionable (not that he'll care).

:punk:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Health screen day.

At the beginning, we needed to fill out a form that included putting in our weight and height.

Then during the screening, they added in the results of BP, bloodwork, etc as we went through the stations, and the screen included measuring height and weight.

I asked the nurse: how do the self reported numbers for height and weight compare to the measured numbers?

She said, men are accurate, women say they weigh less than they really do.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on October 20, 2015, 12:30:45 PM
She said, men are accurate, women say they weigh less than they really do.

Well duh.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Moving out the basement. 

Step one: clean up new room

Step two:  Kill wasps

Step three:  Involves a really big drill.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2015, 05:58:31 PM
Moving out the basement. 

Step one: clean up new room

Step two:  Kill wasps

Step three:  Involves a really big drill.

If step three is a national air-raid alert, wouldn't it make sense to stay in the basement for a while longer.  :P

edit:
Raz, actually your post is a real timely reminder, I need to empty my little office, chuck-out a load of stuff and put the space to better use.  :hmm:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Saw Janet Yellen at an event at Department of Labor today. She really is a munchkin. When it was her turn to give a speech someone ran up as she approached the podium and placed a stool for her to stand on.   :lol:

And I saw Alan Greenspan yesterday.  :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

chipwich

What happened to that group of South Korean traitors that was arrested a while back?

Syt

You know what would be nice? Going to or coming from work without having to walk through someone's trail of cigarette smoke. Every time you step out of the subway, there'll be 3 or 4 out of 10 people lighting up and walking in front of you on the way to the same building. Same in the evening.

:x
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Quote from: Syt on October 21, 2015, 02:25:32 AM
You know what would be nice? Going to or coming from work without having to walk through someone's trail of cigarette smoke. Every time you step out of the subway, there'll be 3 or 4 out of 10 people lighting up and walking in front of you on the way to the same building. Same in the evening.

:x

In Denmark we've banned smoking from all stations which means only 2-3 people light up once they exit the trains. :showoff:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Inside the stations it's forbidden, too. But as soon as they step outside (or often already on the escalator leading up from the subway to the street) ...
—Stephen Jay Gould

Brazen

It's pretty ancient now, but has anyone played Notpron "the hardest riddle on the internet"? I was introduced to it as a potential model for a gamification project at work. It's pretty damn hard!

http://www.deathball.net/notpron/

Syt

It looks familiar; I think I got to the early 10s on it.
—Stephen Jay Gould